Gay Marriage Bill passes Minnesota House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
OMG - I am so THRILLED. Minnesota has gone from a bill to add a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage last election (which was defeated), to having a bill PASS the Minnesota House of Representatives today in less than a year!!! Now, it goes on to the Senate on Monday - where passage is likely and then off to the Guv'ner, who has already said he will sign and support the law.

Gay Marriage could be legal in Minnesota by Aug 1 this year.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/206794041.html

Replies

• wkile76
    wkile76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am very happy that yet another state is realizing that all people deserve equality. I hope that Florida follow soon, but I will not hold my breath......
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That is amazing news! I just wish that all 50 states could make it legal, so then we can all be equal.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna keep not holding my breath for Texas. We'll be the last to pass it, if ever. *sigh*
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    SUPER!!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yay...every one is a giant step in the right direction. My daughter is marrying her girlfriend this Nov, but it won't be legal here in Florida. I have faith that it will some day, though!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    We're knockin' 'em out of the park this year. :)
  • Trev50
    Trev50 Posts: 14
    Options
    This is great! We've come a long way.
  • ThomasNMn
    ThomasNMn Posts: 37
    Options
    Just a quick update - passed Senate with no problems as expected yesterday. Governor Mark Dayton will be signing the bill to make Gay Marriage in Minnesota legal today. 5/14/2013 will hereby be a momentous day in the history of Minnesota and mark the date when the 12th state became where same sex marriages are legal. Here's to the next 12!
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is great!
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It will eventually pass everywhere. The younger generations are much more accepting and as more of them turn 18 and vote things will keep changing. And as more states pass and approve it pressure will be added to the remaining states. Keep your hope, it get's better <3

Don't forget SCOTUS is supposed to have something to say on it in June, I believe
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Whoo you go Minnesota! :D
  • scot1026
    scot1026 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hopefully Indiana will follow, but I think it will take time. Indiana is god squad country
  • redrose129
    redrose129 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    NIIIIIIICCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!! one state closer!!!!!! xoxo
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    9aad9526-9cd4-4297-bcda-ea3c106fb58f_zps34f933dc.jpg
  • treetop57
    Options
    Vive la France!
    PARIS -- France will mark its first gay marriage Wednesday after months of often bitter debate and violent protest that have divided the nation.

In what is expected to be a simple ceremony, billed by the French media as the "marriage of the century," Vincent Autin and Bruno Boileau will make Gallic history.

The town hall in the southern French city of Montpellier, where the local mayor presides over civil unions, is not big enough for the 200 friends and family invited along with 300 gay activists, more than 100 journalists from around the world -- who are required to have obtained special accreditation to attend -- and a government minister. The event has been moved to a local function hall instead.

Autin, 40, a gay-rights campaigner who works in the Montpellier tourist office, and Boileau, 30, a civil servant, published their declaration to marry and organized the ceremony immediately after legislation known as the "marriage for all" bill became law here 10 days ago. The pair have been living together for seven years and had long planned to be the first gay couple to marry when the law was passed, which made France the 14th country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage.
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    hopefully Ohio is next *fingers crossed* :flowerforyou:
  • lillith1991
    Options
    Yay! Now if we could pass it on a presidential level like in a few other countries. Spain has gay marriage nationally. Spain who is still majorly catholic has it on a national level. Sounds mean but it makes us look stupid when a deeply religious nation has gay marriage nationally and us a supposedly more liberal nation doesn't. I love this country but that doesn't make sense to me. I hope that by the time any kids I birth or adopt are old enough to marry we will have it on a national level.
  • 36Frieda
    36Frieda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yep, very exciting. My partner and I have been together 24 years and it looks like we will be getting married this fall. I will try my best to get into shape for the wedding photos :blushing:
  • treetop57
    Options
    Woohoo! Great news, 36Frieda.