Your horse related goals?

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
We recently commented on horsey NSV's so what are your horse related goals for the next few months. Now that Spring is here and Summer is on the way, a lot of use are back in the saddle more often.

My goals are:
To ride at least 4x per week. 3 schooling sessions and 1 trail or "fun" ride.
To show in a hunt seat equitation class for the first time EVER on May 26th.
To be more fit so that I can show in my first Western Dressage show on June 22nd.
To beat my June 22nd score at the Sept. Western Dressage Show

Replies

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    :smile: Nice - good luck with the shows!

I'm at a slightly different stage. My goals for the moment are to buy the horse I've been loaning, then to get him professionally schooled for a week or two.

We're mainly still working on "legs can mean something other than 'go forward'" and "no threatening if I send you away/lunge you".
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have two project ponies at the moment. One is my personal riding horse, a BLM mustang, who, for most of his time with us, has always been the "second" horse. He's now my main guy, but has the temperament to be ridden by almost anyone, so I'm working on making sure all the basics are rock-solid so a friend can ride him on occasion this summer (her horse is going blind and is unsafe to ride). I'm also working on bringing him back from a winter injury/laminitis episode, so mainly we're trotting, since he has trouble cantering without swapping to a cross canter. Goal for the summer is to get him completely healthy and strong, and work on that canter. Also, I want to do lots of trail riding and work on total control outside.

The second is my daughter's Morgan, who has some emotional issues and some bad habits that I'm working hard to alleviate and eliminate. I started working with him in January, and have progressed from ground work only to riding calmly at the trot and returning to a walk and/or halt without getting excited or upset. For him, I want to continue the progress, maybe even canter (he gets up a head of steam and very excited at the faster gaits). I'd like for my daughter to be able to ride him happily again (he has really shaken her confidence by his behavior).

My third goal is to take riding lessons again so I can improve my skills.
  • shan0881
    shan0881 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just want my but to fit in my saddle better! And better and better! :)
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My active, thoughtful goal is to pull of Level 1 test 4 for dressage by the end of the summer.
    My vain, ridiculous goal is to order the dream breeches I've always wanted but get them in a size 26-28. :)
  • danekin
    danekin Posts: 21
    Options
    My goals are 2 rides a month and become more active in our local adult riding club and trail riding club before the end of the year.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have lots!
    I'm moving agistment in a week - where I am I can't go trail riding without crossing a major road, so my boy has never been just out for a ride. New place is a 1000 acre farm with miles of bush to ride in, so I'm really excited about teaching my boy about trail riding. Weee!
    I'm aiming at riding 3-4 times a week.
    I need to grow some balls and get Darcy cantering.
    I want to ride him in his first one day event this year.
    I want to ride a Preliminary dressage test, and not suck.
    I want to shrink my butt a wee bit so it's not so obvious in my ridden pics...
  • bsgordon
    bsgordon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Trail riding and camping 1 - 2 weekends/month. Riding around property at least once/week.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    My goal this year is to ride in 5 CTR's and 1 or 2 LD Endurance rides. I have ridden in 2 CTR's so far and am planning to ride in my first LD Endurance ride in 3 weeks in Kansas.