Become a Pro with Protein! 5/10/2013

Options
aakaakaak
aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
Fact: Increasing your protein while maintaining a caloric deficit increases fat loss while reducing muscle loss.

Today's challenge is to go through the following thread and eat greater than your particular recommended daily allowance (RDA).

Also, read the evidence if you don't believe me:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Note: The RDA is .8g per 1 kg of bodyweight (or .36g per 1 pound).

Example:
I'm about 230lb.
230x0.36 = 82.8
My RDA is 82.8g of protein per day. Personally, I'm trying to double that, at 166g of protein daily. (In accordance with one of the studies)

At a minimum, calculate your recommended daily allowance of protein for your challenge. If you don't want to post your weights then just do it on your own.

So, to rehash:

Challenge level 1: Calculate your recommended daily allowance for protein intake.
Challenge level 2: Read through the studies linked above to better educate yourself on the topic.
Challenge level 3: Calculate (and hopefully eat) a diary day where you double your protein RDA while maintaining a caloric deficit.

Good Luck!

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    AAAAUUUUGGGHHH!!! You HAD to say calculate????? {brain melts into mush}

Seriously though, some good articles there, the registered dietician that I went to see wanted me to eat 9 oz (255 g) of protein per day , this is actually more than double my recommended value according to the calculations and I still stay within my calorie allowance per day based on the meal plan she gave me to stop eating for weight loss and start eating for nutrition (her terms, not mine, but she does have a point that I've turned my metabolism into a quivering mass that needs to be reassured that I'm not going to keep pulling the same crash diet activity that I have in the past and it's going to have to start hoarding again. But here's the break down she gave me (and what I eat to meet it) in case anyone wants to give it a go:
    Breakfast 2 oz (2 eggland's best eggs)
    Lunch 3 oz (3oz piece of chicken, lean beef, turkey, or a 2 oz veggie burger with 1oz low fat cheese
    Supper 4oz (4oz piece of chicken, lean beef, turkey, or fish)
    All three meals are supplemented with veggies, breakfast and lunch each get a serving of fruit, lunch and supper each get a serving of grains, and fats and dairy fill in where needed
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    The food you're eating is 255g of lean meat a day, not specifically protein.

Example:

Eggland's Best - Extra Large Eggs, 2 egg(2oz/56g) 160 Calories 14g protein
    Generic - Skinless Chicken Thigh Baked or Bbq, 3 oz(85g) 174 Calories 26g Protein
    Home Cooked - Baked Tilapia Filet, 4 oz(113g) 90 Calories 18g Protein

Total: 9oz 255g of lean meats, 424 Calories 58g Protein

You're eating about 58g of protein a day, which is the RDA for someone who's about 160. To double that you'd need to eat about 18g 510g of lean meats. I'm not saying you should. I'm just saying what the number would be. Doing what you're doing is great!
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I was told there would be no math.

(✿^‿^)

Challenge 1: I calculated my RDA. It's 73.
    Challenge 2: bookmarked thread...thank you for the references
    Challenge 3: in progress :)

Does anyone have a favorite protein bar to recommend...or your favorite (non-soy, non-meat) sources of protein? I do eat soy (a little) and meat, but I'm curious to see how I can up my protein with other sources. :)

Thanks, aakx3. Hope all is well, WW!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    nomath.jpg

Check out my food diary. I really like the Pure Protein products personally. They're whey.

Legumes (BEANS!) are an excellent vegetarian method to get your protein. They also give you you're RDA of fiber, which is a 2 for 1.
  • threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do okay most days, over what MFP calculates on some, but still under the RDA by this calculation. Will work on that. :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!! I can have more STEEEEEEAK!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!! Thank you Mr. AAAAK!!!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Oh yeah, and here's a list of protein sources calculated (there's that word again) by calories per gram.

Sadly, bacon is not a densely nutrient food product.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    What!?!?!? My favorite food is worthless - say it's not so. Well, 2 strips isn't going to kill me.

Challenge 1: 186 x .36 = 67 (I rounded up) - now is that 67 grams? How does that convert to ounces? I don't have a gram scale. I love Google - wait, waht? That's 2.36 oz. Ok - I think I'm tired and I need to go read the book mark. I'l save it.
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    What!?!?!? My favorite food is worthless - say it's not so. Well, 2 strips isn't going to kill me.

Challenge 1: 186 x .36 = 67 (I rounded up) - now is that 67 grams? How does that convert to ounces? I don't have a gram scale. I love Google - wait, waht? That's 2.36 oz. Ok - I think I'm tired and I need to go read the book mark. I'l save it.

Look at the protein content in each food. An ounce of tuna does not have a full ounce of protein. An ounce of tuna is probably closer to 5-6 grams of protein contained within it. Lean meats are NOT pure protein.

Good work on the math. :wink:

Challenge 3:
    Generic - Skinless Chicken Thigh Baked or Bbq, 4 oz | 232Calories | 35g protein
    Steak - New York Strip Grilled, 4 oz | 204 Calories | 32g Protein
    Total: 8oz (or 227g of chicken) | 436 calories | 67g Protein

There you go. Doubling this would be a simple as eating twice as much. 8oz of each is entirely realistic. Remember 67grams should be your MINIMUM to work for. Anything more is bonus.