New Oly checks Pyrros Dimas style!

Options
I filmed these after doing squats, presses and deadlifts. I stalled on my OHP at 120 pounds, but I did the most reps ever at 4 1/2. Close, but no cigar. 120 seems to be where I consistently stall on my OHP. I think I may have sprained my shoulder which may have made it more difficult to do these lifts.

Here they are.

Snatch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2-jS8Wpyc&feature=youtu.be

C & J:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmCvVNu-_aA&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Very impressive!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Very impressive!

Thanks, but I still need work. I'm catching too high. Perhaps the wight is too light.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    on both: when you go into your jerk you can bring your elbows a little closer to your body. it looks like your pretty flexy in your front rack position, and by bringing your arms in a little closer to your body you will be quicker to get the bar to travel in a more vertical path. do a few jerks without the clean, i bet your elbows stay closer to your body.

on your first clean it looks like you are shrugging before full hip extension, i don't really notice it in the 2nd one...

awesome that you are doing these lifts in a globo gym!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Thank you, booya in yo face. Do you Oly lift?
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    yep :) i did a lot of powerlifting in college so its fun learning explosive moves (not to mention humbling how much I have had to drop my weight to get correct form/extension/ and SPEED!! haha)

i do crossfit and olympic lifts are pretty prominent in our programming. I have an awesome coach that is Oly Lifting certified as well as good friends with coach Burgener, so i have been lucky to have the opportunity to have some professional level coaching.

if you want a much higher level of critiquing, the crossfit.com boards have a video coaching section- a lot of the ppl on the message boards are really really knowledgable (don't knock CF- some kooks don't represent everyone), also on your smartphone the app Coach's Eye is super legit but will set you back a few dollars :)
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    also for your jerk- try a split jerk. i can go heavier on it and get under quicker... i never thought about my arm placement on SJ, but i think i keep them out as much as i can (i have wicked tight lats) and i can sneak under quickly
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    yep :) i did a lot of powerlifting in college so its fun learning explosive moves (not to mention humbling how much I have had to drop my weight to get correct form/extension/ and SPEED!! haha)

i do crossfit and olympic lifts are pretty prominent in our programming. I have an awesome coach that is Oly Lifting certified as well as good friends with coach Burgener, so i have been lucky to have the opportunity to have some professional level coaching.

if you want a much higher level of critiquing, the crossfit.com boards have a video coaching section- a lot of the ppl on the message boards are really really knowledgable (don't knock CF- some kooks don't represent everyone), also on your smartphone the app Coach's Eye is super legit but will set you back a few dollars :)

That's cool. I actually post my form checks on Pendlay forum.

I play around with split jerks too, but I wanted to stick with Pyrros Dimas style for these ones. lol
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Impressive, I would have been laying on the floor with the weight on my head !
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Impressive, I would have been laying on the floor with the weight on my head !

Oh I've banged up my head, chin and pubis several times. lol
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Awesome.

I have no idea if your form sucked or not, but I quite enjoyed seeing you in action. :flowerforyou:

Then again a mule could do Olympic lifting, and I'd still enjoy watching it cause that's just how I roll. I'm completely besotted with it. :bigsmile:
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Well it's certainly better than when I first started!
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh I've banged up my head, chin and pubis several times. lol
    [/quote]

you have banged your head?! yikes... i think my extent of oly mishaps include my nose on a few lower volume higher speed push presses, and the occasional "pubic pop" where i overextend my hips and literally pop the bar off my pubic bone, and when i started i had a hard time lowering the weight without getting crazy bruises all over my legs... and the collarbone bruises. i guess that is a few :) but never have i dropped a weight on my head. did you see this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGWd3lHoZBU luckily i don't think im extreme enough :)

ill have to check out pyrros dimas style lifting- he was the small oly guy that had the highest body:power ratio i believe?
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Yes I've seen that video. More recent is this one in the women's 48 kg Olympics in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hxz4Q6Noz0

The elbow is the only joint weightlifters are not allowed to wrap up. They've talked about letting lifters wrap up their elbows, but they really want to make sure that there is not bend in the elbow. There might have been a couple more arms broken in London, but I can't remember right now.

Also here is Matthias Steiner injured in London. He won gold in Beijing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0pqlvjGFQ
  • booyainyoface
    Options
    that 2nd one was horrible!! i hate snatches, now i have more of a fear! :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh man, those videos are gonna give me nightmares you two!

On a brighter note, those lifts were fantastic Amazing (sorry cannot recall your proper name)...I guess I just have to keep at it, practice makes perfect and all that...
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    So yeah :bigsmile: that's the gym that I work out in. We should meet up -- you could video my lifts, I could video yours. :laugh: