I am SOOO tired

Options
I had a VSG on 4/22. I felt great the first ten days. For the last two days I am so tired. I have emailed the nutritionist to see if I am doing something wrong. Maybe I am just experienceing the "hibernation" phase. Anyone have any suggestions about getting through this phase?

Replies

• karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my VSG in November. I don't recall hitting a tired phase after a couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean you aren't. As long as you are getting your protein and fluids in, and tolerating your vitamins, my advice would be to just listen to your body. Regardless of how good you felt the first 10 days, the fact is that you had major surgery, and as such, it is going to take your body time to adjust. Not only to the post-op phase, but also to the smaller stomach. Keep doing what you need to do with food, fluids, and vitamins. Pace yourself and rest freequently. Remember that during these first few weeks your job and your focus is simply getting enough protein and fluids in. Exercise is not a priority yet. Just listen to your body and give it what it needs. I found that I had to take a nap every afternoon for about a month, and was getting 8-9 hrs of sleep a niight.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I remember being very tired and worn out for quite a while after the surgery. I was so surprised that it had taken so much out of me because I always think of myself as pretty tough. But I agree with Karensdeam that it is a major surgery and your body needs to adjust and gain your strength. Also the longer the actual procedure took, it is proven the longer it will take you to regain your strength. I was in the OR for 4 hours which means 4 weeks to get back to feeling yourself.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved in July 2011. I remember being really tired the first week or so, but that's it. You could be dehidrated, that causes tiredness. Make sure you are getting enough water.
  • katietigar
    katietigar Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am feeling a bit better. I can't wait until I can eat a little bit of real food. I am not used to taking medication or vitamins regularly but I have been focusing on that the last few days.
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had very little energy until I transitioned to real food - I think it's pretty normal. Priority 1 is hydration, once you're getting enough liquids priority 2 is protein - the more you can get in, the more energy you're likely to have. But I don't think I really started to feel more or less normal until several weeks out.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You are still recovering. Look at the amount of calories you are taking in. Even without major surgery if you tried to eat that many calories a day you would be tired. You really can't be "normal" yet. Keep up the protein intake. That is very important for recovery, and let your body heal.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably making other adjustments, too. I had to adjust/dsiscontinue meds, stop using sleep apnea machine, etc. I started a new exercise regime (spin class). Lots of changes = stress = tired! It'll get better!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was so tired for the first month that I took regular naps! I ended up bumping my protein up just a bit and trying to get down more water than suggested. Also, short walks helped to wake me up (temporarily) but I was able to build up to longer walks that really pumped me up.

Your body has been through major surgery. It needs time to recuperate. It will take time. Just remember, no two people are just alike, so stick with it and stay positive :D You are on your way now! Congrats!