My butt is kicking me!

Options
Haley_Diane
Haley_Diane Posts: 42 Member
I WANT to be healthy. My husband and I had a little challenge to see who could lose the most weight and get healthy before a long-awaited family vacation. We did great! I lost almost 15 lbs and I'd never felt better. I was tracking my food and exercise. I knew I wouldn't track food at Disney (but was careful) . However...

I have problems with finding a workout routine that works for me. I really enjoy working out, because I love how it makes me feel. We have three children, I want to be around a long time for them and my husband. However, I keep running into obstacles that seem to knock me off the bandwagon.
1. We have a kiddo at home still. He's 5. Can't walk fast enough for a "workout" and is too big for a stroller.
2. The Hubs leaves for work early, and for much of the year it isn't possible to walk/jog before he leaves. Too dark.
3. I feel a tremendous amount of guilt when I take "family time" to work out. Once everyone gets home from work and school, soccer practice, youth group and Sunday rehearsals, I feel like I should be home.
4. My shins. I want to run. I love the feeling of running. I tried C25K and LOVED it, but would have to call The Hubs to come get me home because my legs were so cramped I couldn't walk. I don't mind buying new tennis shoes, but they have to be everyday shoes really. We're a single income family.
5. I've tried the 30 Day Shred but level 2 makes me try to throw up every time and now level 1 makes my body sore for weeks, not just days. And not the "good" sore, like you've had a fantastic workout, but an "I'm falling completely apart" sort of sore.
6. I'm not really sedentary. I have three kids, I volunteer at church, I'm on my feet much of the day. My Fitbit tracks my steps and I'm usually either very close to 10,000 or over it.

I feel like a complete failure. I've gained back so much weight and I feel miserable physically and emotionally about it. I really would welcome any advice you have, support, etc.

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    1. A few thoughts. I have three small ones...none are in school. We joined the YMCA because it is relatively inexpensive and they watch kiddos for an hour or two while I workout. My five year old still loves to go in the stroller while I jog, but is your little one too squirmy?
    2. I love to run/bike in the dark, I just put a flashing light on my back. Of course, I live in Phoenix where the triple digits make it much cooler in the evening or the crack of dawn, ;)
    3. It's all in moderation. You obviously shouldn't have all your workouts be during family time, but once or twice a week is no cause for guilt. Just keep in mind that by doing this, you extend your life and are in reality giving your kids more time with you overall.
    4. A few tips of the shin splints...take it slower. As your body adjusts they will subside. Also, make sure you are really well hydrated, as dehydration will cause muscle cramps. I know you're a single income family, but there are often sales and such at running stores for actual running shoes. To be honest I was skeptical...but a good pair of running shoes is no joke. They changed my experience from pain to joy. Also, instead of running, try swimming, Easy on the joints and far more beneficial to your overall health. Also try lifting weights. Smaller calorie burn, but building up muscle causes you to burn twice the fat even when resting.
    5. Again, take it slow.
    6. All moms are fairly active, but some of us (like me) are blessed with bodies that need that extra push to lose weight. Studies have shown diet is the largest factor in losing weight...much more than even working out. I've been training for triathlons and still wasn't dropping weight which was disheartening. I finally had to cut out any snacking in the evening and reduce the snacks I had during the day. It finally started moving me in the right direction.

Best of luck!
  • Haley_Diane
    Haley_Diane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. We've never, ever used a stroller with our youngest. He's 5 now, and I just carried him in the sling or back carrier. It was a great workout. ;-)

I think you're right, the key to this is what I'm eating. Our family geocaches, so we are out walking pretty often. Honestly, it's food and my relationship with it. When I track my calories, I'm always shocked by how few I NEED to feel full and well. More and I feel gross. I also don't need my heartburn meds when I'm careful about calories. Duh!

Swimming is a great idea. We buy a season pool pass, so I can do it often! We live in a small town without even a grocery store, so there aren't any gym-type options without going into the city. I do really like walking though. We went for a long walk as a family yesterday and everybody felt better.
  • ddtph_hayes
    ddtph_hayes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are some non gym ways of working out. I have a 7yr old and she and I will play outside. Sometimes we play hopscotch or kick a ball around, She has been known to make up a game. While you are at soccer games instead of sitting in a chair you could run around the field. You can still see your child and cheer him/her on and get exercise at the same time. I find vigerous house work can get me out of breath especially when I make several trips downstairs to do the laundry. Does your son go to school/daycare? You could go to the gym or run while he is in school. Find a mother's day out program to give you that little bit of time.