Where do you run?

Options
When I started the Zombie, Run! 5k Training I started running on the road near by. Recently I took to a bike trail once and a rails to trails. I felt more motivated and ran for longer times. Today I hit the road again and failed. I'm on week 3 Day 2 and could barely run the minute where as on Day 1, I ran for half of the first free form run so between 2 & 3 Minutes.

So, where does everyone else run? Do you notice a difference in endurance or motivation compared to other places you have run?

Replies

• DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about asking everyone this, too!
    I run the roads along our small town, everything is really foresty here. There are a bunch of spooky abandoned houses..and lots of deer and goats. :B They're my running buddies.

There are lots of small hills, so that's really nice. I want to make sure I'm prepared for whatever the land is like at the 5k I'm working towards.

I'm much more excited and motivated to run on that route as opposed to running the opposite way and hitting town and seeing cars and whatnot. Plus the view isn't as pretty.
  • psuhorseshoe
    psuhorseshoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am pretty lucky in that I have a pretty big and nice park right across the road from me, that leads to a few paths across the river and the levvy. I try to run there the most, but it it is getting dark out at night I stick to the main drag of town with the most street lights and lights from signs and stores. Unfortunatly, I wind up having to run in place on a treadmill at the gym, if I get home and cook dinner late and it is too dark out. I always find that these days tend to be the hardest to go the distance in the free form run because I am bored. Also, but the time I get the treadmill up to running speed (when it was the 15-30 second drills), I felt like I just had to turn it back down for a walk, and I really wasn't getting the full effect of the running drill. Also, when on a treadmill, I try to do around 5.2 miles per hour instead of making my own pace if I was outside.
  • phoenix3050
    phoenix3050 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have several large parks near by where I run with the armadillos, raccoon, squirrels and bunnies. One park has some major up and down spots, the other is nice and FLAT. I usually go to the flat one. :)
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Usually in a large cemetery in town -- it's very popular for walkers/runners. I like it because it has a nice mix of small hills and flat roads, a few ponds on the property, lots of flowering bushes, and plenty of big trees for shade. I also like it because there are so many criss-crossing roads, I can change my route to avoid people/traffic/boredom.
  • crystalallor
    Options
    There is a cemetery near the bike trails I ran on. My friend and I both really like cemeteries and was wondering if one is an acceptable place to run.

Sounds like you all have nice places/scenery to keep you motivated. I might have to stick with going back to the bike trails which is in the woods with lots of hills and curves and will keep me moving.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There is a cemetery near the bike trails I ran on. My friend and I both really like cemeteries and was wondering if one is an acceptable place to run.

I don't really see why not. Although maybe I'm just used to it -- the outer road of the cemetery that circles the property is called "Walkers Path". Really, people take their dogs on walks there! And you know those dogs are up to...well, something else.

I love cemeteries and their history. I just make sure to steer clear of funerals, stay on the roads away from the headstones, and give a lot of space to mourning family members. Frankly, if I was buried there I'd enjoy the thought of people having fun and exercising up above me!!
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    > Sounds like you all have nice places/scenery to keep you motivated.

This is exactly why I've been running along the river and out of town on various bike trails. I love looking at the scenery and seeing all the wildlife - like fluffy ducklings and the new spring lambs.
  • Emmielia
    Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I live next to the beach, so Im starting to run on the sand. Its less impact on my joints as well. I also run on the prom next to the beach its an amazing view :)
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I live on an inlet near a river, I sometimes run beside there or Im at the gym on the treadmill. I enjoy the outside run but Im more motivated if I go right to the gym right after work
  • crystalallor
    Options
    I've decided to just continue to drive into the nearest town to the trails. I much prefer seeing the trees and the rails to trails seem to work better for my legs. They don't tire out as easily like on the road.
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I enjoy runnind downtown by the river nice combination between industrial and nature
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running on the treadmill. Indoors. Because the heat and humidty got to be too much about my 2nd week of Z5K. :D I look forward to the fall and the challenge of hte outdoors and enjoying nature.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Sounds like you all have nice places/scenery to keep you motivated. I might have to stick with going back to the bike trails which is in the woods with lots of hills and curves and will keep me moving.

One of my friend recently stated after we had a conversation about doing speed work in cemeteries (he near his house and I near mine) that he finds it more respectful then avoiding the land. He looks at the head stones and wonders about the people. He reflects on his life and is thankful for being able to run in the first place. And the land is very pretty. it is there for people to enjoy. The cemetery in my town, in particular, dates back to the civil war. I'm pretty sure those guys are really just jonesin' to run with us.
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up if you are running in a cemetery, my dad use to work in one preparing covers for a number of years and the reason why they tell you not to walk on peoples graves isn't really out of respect but that the ground can sink and can fall in. Seriously this does happen, what happens is if they don't put a concert cover on top or concert vault inside over time the ground will cave in on the coffin, also with fresh graves the ground could be not compacted enough there can be air pockets and you those can cause mini cave-in/sink holes when disturbed.

This usually doesn't happen to regular people who just come in once a year to lay flowers (although it can) but can and does happen to people who regularly work in cemeteries. Also its perfectly acceptable to run in these places, the grounds keepers don't mind just try and run along the foot of the plots of on the designated pathways and of course stay away from people grieving
  • Lealooo
    Options
    I also go to a cemetery. It's right behind my house, with some very old beautiful areas and lots of winding paths, hills and loops. I stick to the paths and whenever I see someone visiting a grave I head to a different area. I love how private and scenic it is :)

I'm currently working on week 2 for the second time. Last time around I had to quit just before week 3 because I hurt my knee badly. This time I'm 25 pounds lighter and I've been walking fast for 3 miles 3 times a week, and so far no knee pain. Crossing my fingers I can do the whole program!
  • jetenold
    jetenold Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just joined this group, but am thoroughly enjoying the training app. Right now i go with a friend at about 5:30 in the morning just around our neighborhood. Some of it is really hilly so it depends on the day which way we go. Hopefully we will be able to start going down to the park (have to drive to get there though) because it is beautiful too walk through. And never thought about the cemetery, but it would be a great place too (plus adds to the whole theme of the game:) )
  • cynforgiven
    Options
    I live outside the city limits just off a state highway. The good thing is that when I do go outside for my "zombie training" there isn't much traffic or people. The bad thing is that there are no sidewalks and usually no shoulder at the roadside so if traffic is coming I either have to stop or try to keep myself from falling into the ditch. There are a few parks in town that I'm itching to try out, but usually i end up working out inside at home, just because of convenience - that way i can't say "i don't feel like driving" or "it's too dark/hot/rainy/humid/whatever". I have noticed that when I workout outside that I go farther/longer than when I'm inside, though.