My umpteenth attempt

Options
Gran315
Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
I'll be 77 in June and I need to get rid of some of this flab for the sake of the poor funeral director!! Not that I'm planning to use his services yet a while. :noway: Despite being active in my younger days, weight crept up, even running around after 5 kids (one severely handicapped) and running a shop, didn't stop the increases. Then in my 50s my thyroid packed in completely, though it was a couple of years before I realised it, so again the weight increased. At my worst I was about 350 lbs.
Eventually heart rate problems joined in, several hospital stays, problems with the drugs, one stopping my heart completely .... not the ideal state ..... Then a mild heart attack two years ago, at which time they discovered that my heart was stopping for 5 to 10 seconds at a time during the night. So now I'm battery powered (pacemaker). :wink: Unfortunately that doesn't have any effect on the rhythm problems, so I have off days. :grumble:
I'm now down to 304 lbs, but need a kick in the rear end to get lower, so that's why I've come on here, to try to keep focused.

Replies

• Gran315
    Options
    I thought I'd found a good place to be, with people over 70, but seems like everyone else has "left home". I'm sorry about that because I assumed weight loss was a bit different/slower for us seniors.
    Ah well, I'll keep reading the other community posts and maybe I'll find someone on there who's closer to my age.
  • Clorfeine
    Clorfeine Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a 79 year old grandmother, and would like to be in this group. As we get older, I know it becomes more difficult. I'm almost at my goal and am afraid that I will slip back. Does anyone hava any suggestions for a maintenance diet?
  • Gran315
    Options
    Nice to see someone else here, but I'm not the one with suggestions on maintainance, since I'm at the beginning of a very long road! It's good that you've managed to shift the weight you wanted to lose, you look well.
    I suppose maintainance depends on which foods, if any, are the biggest problem and whether it's easy to avoid them.
    Personally I'm beginning to realise that an old family doctor was on the ball many years ago, when he told me to avoid ALL the white stuff ..... Flour, bread, rice, pasta etc. It's a shame I didn't take his advice, perhaps I wouldn't have had the struggle I'm having now!
    A major irritation for me is a husband who can eat anything and everything in any amount, containing all the things we are told are bad for us and at 81, weighs in at 145/150 lbs, has no health problems, no medications of any sort and still runs around almost like a two year old!!! I want some of his genes next time round LOL.
  • wmilosh
    wmilosh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, just joined (I'm 72) and was checking out some of the posts and a 2 year old 81er caught my eye. Now that's inspiration! I'm at my goal weight and still able to work out with weights and use the treadmill religiously (again) after many, many false starts. Not too long ago I could brag about not using any meds. I want to get there again. And that, I guess, is my new goal. Are the 81 year old genes for sale or rent? lol
  • Gran315
    Options
    Hello wmilosh, I'm "crawling" back here with my tail between my legs, having fallen off the wagon spectacularly. Eldest son was taken ill suddenly with lung clots, that started the rot and then daughter and kids arrived from California for a month's stay and my kitchen is no longer my own lol. No excuse I know, but now I've got to start all over again. ...... talk about "tell me the old, old story"!!
    Like you, I'd like to get rid of the meds, I know I couldn't get rid of them all, but a reduction would be good, then maybe I could get health insurance so that I could fly again.
    Good for you getting to your goal and doing the weights and treadmill, I'm a very long way from that, I need to try the walking first.
    I want some of my husband's family genes, they're all built like greyhounds. He's 81, very active, no meds and low blood pressure, today he was up a ladder replacing a bedroom window!
  • Gran315
    Options
    Still off the wagon and trying desperately to climb back on. Daughter's month long visit has extended to two and a half months, she goes back to California next Monday. I will miss her, but I need to be able to get back into my own routine of two meals and two snacks a day, that's what seems to work for me, especially as I can't walk far.
    It's been nice having someone else cook for me, but like many, never been fat, slim people she doesn't really realise that it's not just a matter of having lots of veg, it's how they're cooked that matters.
    I got on the scales this morning and I'm back to 308 lbs!!! So the fight starts again!
  • Gran315
    Options
    Here we are at the start of another year and I never did get back on the wagon, which means I'm back up to 312 lbs!!! SO, I have to start again getting my brain back into thinking about what I eat.
    At the moment, the biggest problems are the biscuits and chocolates that folk have bought for us for Christmas. I need to get them out of sight to reduce the temptation. My husband is one of those greyhound breed types who can eat all sorts of rubbish with no resulting problems, so I hope he can demolish this lot in record time!!
    I shall start recording my food again tomorrow and work on getting back on track. Wish me luck.
  • Gran315
    Options
    I've made a good start, 4lbs off for the first week, now to concentrate on continuing the trend. Anyone else having success?
  • Gran315
    Options
    Here I am again, three months after my last post and no further on. How can a supposedly, reasonably intelligent female be so useless at weight loss? I don't even have the excuse of not knowing what happens to a body carrying too much weight for years either. I was a nurse! ...... I need a head transplant!!!
    Anyway, I'm back here after realising that I need MFP to keep me focused on what I put in my mouth, otherwise I THINK I'm eating ok, but in reality I'm not.
    At the moment, I'm struggling with a painful hip (not surprising!) and a really painful shoulder. I didn't go the Dr when my hip started, since at 300 +lbs there's nothing he can do, but the shoulder is a different matter, so maybe I'll see if he can help that and if he can, it will help me concentrate better on what meals I make, instead of going for the easiest.
    It would be nice to hear if there are any seniors out there that have lost large amounts of weight, despite assorted health issues.
  • Gran315
    Options
    I'm still struggling ..... another health issue has made its presence felt, I've now got diverticulitis, which means that I had to switch to a low fibre diet and less vegetables for a while to let my innards rest. That didn't help, as weight loss came to a stop and I put weight back on.
    I'm now trying to get back to a higher fibre diet, but I have to do it slowly to see what my body can cope with. I'm darned if I am going to give up though, I just need to "polish" my patience levels lol and accept that it's a slow progress, especially as I'm not very active, nor will I be until I can shed some blubber.