Hydration pack?

Options
TheBrolympus
TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
I wear a light Nathan Minimist hydration pack when I run. I sweat a lot and it gets really hot here in Texas during the summer. I tried the belts and they drove me batty and just can't stand them. I got used to the packs while mountain biking so they are pretty comfortable. It holds my GUs and phone which is an extra bonus.

I don't see many runners with them at all. So is there something wrong with wearing one, especially for long runs?

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don’t see many roadies using hydration packs but once you hit the trails they are everywhere. I use a Nathan HPL 008 when I go out on my long unsupported trail runs. I can’t stand to have anything around my waist either.

On the rare occassions when I do go on a long run on the road I don't use the Nathan. I know where all the water fountains are so I don't bother. But the trail, you better believe I'm taking the pack with me.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use my Camelbak on all my runs over 5 miles. I like to be able to hydrate without stopping and since I have very dry mouth from multiple allergy medications this helps me during my run.

During my last half I saw several people running with them.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use one for my long runs and in half marathons. Makes me more comfortable to have it because I can drink at will and on long runs I have fewer excuses to turn back I don't see a lot of other people with them, but that doesn't bother me. Just make sure you have it adjusted properly to start and adjust again as you drink because on really long runs chafing can be a problem.
  • XopherReed
    XopherReed Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I'm running anything longer than 4 miles during the daytime, I always bring my camelbak. I also bring it whenever I do RAGNAR because I end up getting the no van support legs.

I'd like to get a better fitting one, but I won one during an event last year so I'm going to use this one til it falls apart.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I wear a light Nathan Minimist hydration pack when I run. I sweat a lot and it gets really hot here in Texas during the summer. I tried the belts and they drove me batty and just can't stand them. I got used to the packs while mountain biking so they are pretty comfortable. It holds my GUs and phone which is an extra bonus.

I don't see many runners with them at all. So is there something wrong with wearing one, especially for long runs?

I live in Southern CA and it gets warm here sometimes (80º+). I have a water bottle belt (4 bottles of 8 OZ) and a backpack (64 OZ I think). They're both from Nathan and they're very well designed and manufactured.

The belt helps me for runs of 6 to 12 miles but, when it gets warm, I toss on the backpack and it works out well.

I've worn the belt during half marathons. The belt itself is just a few ounces and but the water, of course, costs me timewise (1 pound = 2 seconds per mile) but it allows me to skip water stops and it allows me to drink at my own pace.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've worn the belt during half marathons. The belt itself is just a few ounces and but the water, of course, costs me timewise (1 pound = 2 seconds per mile) but it allows me to skip water stops and it allows me to drink at my own pace.

I have worn my pack on my half marathons. It's been nice because some of the more popular halves (Dallas Marathon) the early water stops are packed and it's nice to cruise past them.

I went out at 5:00am this morning at it was already almost 70 degrees. In a couple of months it will be 80 degrees at 5:00am. UGH! Not looking forward to that part of the summer.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use the camelbak marathoner for my long runs and love it. I'm a big guy and it stays put. Never had any problems with it.