tips for summer running

Options
I live in North Carolina and it is starting to heat up. This Thursday we are supposed to see high 80s and high humidity. I have noticed how the heat really drains me and my ability to run. Anyone have good suggestions for running in the heat or how to run in the early morning?

My concerns with morning running is the "fueling" part. I don't run well on an full stomach but after a night of fasting, I am not sure if I will have the fuel in my system. Any guidance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Why are you fasting the night before? I would suggest a dinner of carbs or something high in energy. Then maybe have a gel pack before your run? Make sure to stay hydrated! Check the hourly forecast on weather.com and plan your run for when the temp/humidity will be lowest. Those are the best suggestions I can think of.
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I usually need to eat 2.5 hours before a run and refuel every 45 min or so, but first thing in the am I don't seem to have this problem. And it helps your body learn to increase its glycogen stores and burn fat for fuel more efficiently which will help with running.
  • jenniferarnold619
    Options
    By "fasting" I meant going the whole night without food. That is about a 6-10 hour span of no food from when I stop eating in the evening until I wake up.

I will definitely give your suggestions a try. I do struggle running on a full stomach. But maybe I can give the gels a try If I need it. Burning more fat sounds great though!.
  • janet2802
    janet2802 Posts: 2
    Options
    What about eating more fiber in the morning (about 30 minutes to an hour) before running? I eat edamame's in the morning and run around lunchtime. It fills me up and I don't feel blah when I am running. Also, more water helps too. Out here in the rockies we have the dry heat which sucks the life out you when running, but I have noticed more fiber and water have helped.
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I run early morning too..... years ago, I used to try to get up a little earlier and eat before I would run, but found I would much rather have a little more sleep than get up 30 minutes earlier just to eat for "fuel" for my run. It turns out that I can run just fine without these little meals, as long as I am not running long, so that would be less than 45 minutes.

There are people who feel that running first thing in the morning in that fasted state is the best way to lose fat, as your body will burn fat in the absence of more readily available fuel. But of course, people totally disagree with that too. I have no idea which way is "best".

For what it's worth, this is my routine.... I just stagger out of bed and put on my running clothes (which I always lay out the night before!), make coffee (to have when I get back home), and head out the door. I suggest trying it both ways, and see if that meal really makes a difference in how you feel for your running. To me it didn't. But we are all different!

If I am running longer than 6 miles, then I am sure to eat or at least take some GU packs.

Good luck!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I used to live in NC and you are definitely going to want to run either in the early AM or in the later PM to avoid the dizzying heat. If you are running in the early AM, try a run without eating first and see how you feel. I think you're going to need trial and error to figure out what you need for fuel. Lower mileage would probably be fine without eating (I never eat before boot camp class because it's at 5:45 AM, and I'm still able to push through the workout). Higher mileage, you may need to figure out how best to fuel during the run - gel, etc.

Maybe get up like 15 minutes earlier and eat a banana or half a banana to see if that gives you what you need.
  • missig0587
    missig0587 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I live near the coast in NC. My work schedule has changed but if you work nights like I used to or have to be up early then I've found the best time to run is between 2-4am. The heat isn't bad and humidity is normally low. Try a preworkout drink about 30-45 minutes prior to running and maybe a small piece of fruit for the natural sugar boost. That usually works well for me. I will usually drink a post workout shake and eat some walnuts and fruit afterwards to keep from crashing. Also, carb load like crazy the night before long runs and try to drink as much water as possible throughout the day to keep hydrated.