Gloves/ Liquid chalk?

Options
So, how about gloves? Is that considered as "cheating"? I want to do this the right way. And if gloves is a no-go, does anyone have any experience of liquid chalk? Is it any good? (My gym doesn´t allow ordinary chalk.) My hands get really sweaty.

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves to lift. Otherwise it's really painful on my hands and I get horrible callouses. I don't have any experience with chalk though...
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use the gloves so i don't drop the weights on my cats.. I workout at home, and have to keep the door open to the rest of the house but have a baby gate up to keep my son out of the room, but cats jump and i almost crushed one of my cats one day cause she got up under my feet when i was doing deads, and almost dropped a110 lbs on her, so i got my gloves, haven't had a near death experience since
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Thank you ladies. :smile:
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I can't speak from experience, but I've only HEARD good things about liquid chalk and that it's a good alternative if chalk is not allowed at you gym.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    I can't speak from experience, but I've only HEARD good things about liquid chalk and that it's a good alternative if chalk is not allowed at you gym.
    That´s better than me, I have never heard of it, before I stumbled over it, wondering if it´s ok to wear gloves or not. Thank you.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've always worn gloves with no issues. I don't consider it "cheating" as I use them as a means to protect my hands. I have no interest in getting callouses.

Might also want to consider using straps if your grip is becoming an issue
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves because I don't like getting calluses, but I didn't find that is helped my grip any. I have never tried chalk or liquid chalk. I have found that using a mixed grip has been helpful, however.
  • abluebutton
    Options
    I watched this: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_managing_calluses

I've been lifting using the advised grip for 3 x wk for 4 months and do not have any calluses to speak of.

I prefer not to use gloves because it effectively makes the bar fatter and more difficult to grip. Not hugely relevant to the squat, but applies to the rest of the lifts.

I do use chalk on deadlifts (and power cleans since I'm doing Starting Strength and not SL).
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use gloves that have really thin padding, but it's enough for me. I still try to actively grip the bar and engage my forearms. I forgot them last week and had to do a session without, and I just didn't feel as secure. I'm sure part of it's mental for me, but they also keep the sweat off the bar.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I watched this: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_managing_calluses

I've been lifting using the advised grip for 3 x wk for 4 months and do not have any calluses to speak of.

I prefer not to use gloves because it effectively makes the bar fatter and more difficult to grip. Not hugely relevant to the squat, but applies to the rest of the lifts.

I do use chalk on deadlifts (and power cleans since I'm doing Starting Strength and not SL).

I havent' seen this but if its what I'm thinking of, how you set the bar INITIALLY is a big factor in callus management and I do not use gloves for the same reason.

I have callouses but they're flat and more or less invisible. I've never had one tear and I doubt you even feel them if you shake my hand - there's just a thicker area where I grip the bar.

I use non-marking chalk (its called an ecoball - search amazon) since my gym doesn't allow chalk, and its fine. I don't know how gloves help people honestly, I feel like it would be more uncomfortable, but I know some people find the knurling REALLY painful without them.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think gloves/no gloves is a matter of personal preference, really. I wear gloves, and I like them.

I don't believe gloves are permitted in power lifting meets, so if you have an inkling to lift competitively, then forego them and use chalk instead. If you're just lifting for personal fitness, then I don't think it really matters.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Thank you for all your answers, experiences and links. It´s a great help. :flowerforyou: