Gamers! How ya feel about.....

Options
2»

Replies

• _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I use steam, so pretty much ive been digital only for a long time. Last solid disc i bought was probably WoW. Actually I bought L4D, but I only used the CD key, had steam install the rest
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    Maybe i'm just old school, but when i purchase something i want it to have a tangible presence.

Buy music, want CD
    Buy Movie, want DVD
    Buy game, want disc (regardless of platform)

What happens when you want to re-visit whatever it is you purchased, but you can no longer gain access to it because wherever you downloaded it from decided it had to be removed to make room for the new stuff. That's the part i don't like. Relying too much on someone else to preserve your purchase is BS to me IMHO.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The trouble I have with the all digital route is you never really "own" the product you paid for. You can't loan it to someone, you can't move it around, you can't do anything with it.

It's really bad with the big programs now. Photoshop just went lease only. You have to pay a monthly fee! You never own the product! and you have to have an internet connection. Microsoft is going the same way with Office. You can't buy a copy, only rent it and have to have an online connection.

I understand the need to combat piracy, but this is just greed pure and simple.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with purchasing games digitally, but I am ardently against persistant online required to access offline content. Digital games means smaller costs on logistics which means you can squeeze in more on game production. It is also much more convenient to purchase digitally.

I just bought HOTS digitally with no problems. My main concerns regarding all digital is...

1. Storage Capacity. Right now on my ps3, I have to routinely erase game data for games I no longer play to make room for new games. That is just the additional game data that is downloaded, not the entire game. How storage would you need to house all games like that? New system means more power and more graphics and more data, its probably the biggest issue.

2. Replacement. If I get the yellow light of death, is there a means to get my games back again? I think with the way p network all ready functions it will easily be a yes.

3. Download speed. When the updates to firmware first come out, they take forever. How do you account for this on release days. I am in favor of being able to download and install games pre release and having a mechanism that doesn't allow access until the live date.

Overall, i think it could work, but I think we're still one iteration too early in it actually happening.