Keeping the fitness going while those wheels are rolling!

Options
While my husband is out there keeping those wheels rolling I'm going to continue to do my best to keep this getting in the best shape possible going :)

I know it's a different sort of adventure for those of us with truckers in our lives. Without having someone there daily or even weekly or monthly for some of us to check in with in person. I'm glad this fitness pal program is available to bring us together while we are on the journey to getting where we need to be healthily!

Replies

• flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's also good when we have to opportunity to go in the truck with them! I am loving the MFP app on my phone!!! That barcode thing is a lifesaver!
  • macnutikiss
    Options
    I don't use the bar code app because most of what we have is home made from scratch. So, alot of the recipes they have in here don't apply, so i guess i need to put the most common ones in here.. :)
  • btrav5
    btrav5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We've both been doing Weight Watchers but I recently switched over to myfitnesspal for some renewed motivation. When he comes home on the weekends it is like a big party and we both want to eat! I have to continue to do this so he will too. I know it is hard out on the road so I can't let him down. If my weight goes up it is easier for him to give up too.
  • EncouragedLady
    EncouragedLady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had another awesome day with my physical therapists :) Today my therapists strapped me into a nustep machine! Quite the experience/ exciting to be able to be doing a bit more. I feel like I've been running a marathon. (This is the machine I used today : http://www.nustep.com/products/addons/t4/ )
  • wibamagirl
    wibamagirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get my boyfriend to eat healthier,lower the grains and sugar.I even got him to stay out of the skip and gimp parking area.Now he parks in the back and walks more for better circulation.Every little thing counts to keep them safe and healthy.
  • EncouragedLady
    Options
    That is awesome wibamagirl :) & every little bit does add up to help! My husband has quite the opposite in the weight department than I do... if there was a way to donate my excess to him we'd be on that in a heartbeat lol / I send food with mine when he goes out there so he's getting minimal 'junk' from the truckstops and such.
  • wibamagirl
    Options
    I explained to Dave this morning why grains and sugar are not his friend.He mentioned potato bread so I have to see if there are grains in it so he can eat it.He wants to lose about thirty pounds.i can make healthy food for the truck but he likes to eat out and then forgets it's in the fridge.He needs the away time from the truck to just relax.I keep trying though.He knows when he gets home that he's walking with me for his circulation.Truck drivers have such poor circulation in their legs.
  • btrav5
    Options
    My husband has a terrible time with his legs. I didn't think about it being the circulation. I just thought it was a pinched nerve. He does try to walk when he can but it isn't safe in some of the places he stops at. He eats in his truck most of the time but he does hit Subway alot. He tries to keep track of it all though. He's lost 80 pounds and that is quite an accomplishment for him. It seems to come off of men so much quicker but it hasn't for him. I guess since he sits all day long his metabolism is just really slow.
  • EncouragedLady
    Options
    My husband deals with gout in his legs/ circulation can be helped by not letting the legs 'dangle', getting some movement in there even simple as contracting and releasing muscles, toe tapping, etc. My husband has a high metabolism, still needs to do his exercises to keep the muscle tone.
  • btrav5
    Options
    My husband won't go to the doctor so we don't know why his legs bother him. It is good that your husband knows the things he can do to help him. I'm going to tell my husband to do some of those things to see if it helps him at all.
  • wibamagirl
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have a trucker buddy from Alabama who has lost 150 lbs in the last two years.He eats fresh fruit,veggies,and cooks his meals at home to take with him in the truck.He gets out of the truck when he can and walks at least fifteen minutes a day.We used to call him Big Bob,now it's Medium Bob.He's retired marine special forces,nobody messes whith him but the guy has a heart of gold.I told Dave,if Bob can do it so can he.He got me eating better and I learned I could live without sugar and dairy and grain.It's not easy but you get used to it and then the energy kicks in!
  • MeowScout
    MeowScout Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group! Sometimes non trucking folks just don't get the challenges that we face. I need to do this!
  • wibamagirl
    Options
    Read this morning a town in Texas got hit by tornado,my sweetie is down there but luckily north of the area hit.I had a momentary panic.Called him and he was already movin' alaong to Hereford,Tx.A good run.He's eager to get home and see my new exercise pants.HAHAHA.I did warn him it wasn't pretty.....yet.
  • btrav5
    Options
    Always scares me when I hear of bad weather or truck accidents! He says if I don't hear anything everything is fine which makes no sense to me.
  • wibamagirl
    Options
    It's the phone call late or very early in the morning I worry about.I'm grateful he hasn't fallen off the top off the hopper lately.It always makes me nervous when he picks up cotton seed as he climbs up on the top to tamp down the seed to get a better weight.
  • wibamagirl
    Options
    Okay this is going to get interesting.My BF is taking me in the truck with him for a couple or three weeks.He wants to lose the big belly.He isn't a big beer drinker,maybe one beer when he comes home.SOOO,I said you're doing the Whole30 with me in the truck! I'll weigh him before we leave and when we get back.i told him it's for his own good and since we're getting married in Hawaii that he'd feel much better if he ate better and got the bloat off before we go.I did warn him that I would be mercilous.
  • btrav5
    Options
    Good luck to both of you! That will be a challenge while you are on the road with him but you will have each other for motivation!
  • wibamagirl
    Options
    I got home last night after two weeks in the truck with my sweetie.We both ate very careful and I packed veggies,boiled eggs,broasted chicken,greek yogurt,and frozen fruit.I didn't gain an ounce and added a lot of water on my legs and feet.I'll weigh in tomorrow to see how I did.He took off for another load and'll be back tomorrow to get on the scale.
  • jaimegould4548
    jaimegould4548 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm a trucker. I team with my husband, and I typically drive the night shift. I have to drop some weight, and I'm not talkin' about my load! 😆