Squat form help please!

Options
kellieem
kellieem Posts: 53 Member
Hi everyone, I just need some advice on proper squat form, please!!

Before I started this, I read Mehdi's description of how to do a squat correctly and watched his video. I've been doing them and they didn't feel right, I didn't feel like my hamstrings were doing any work. So I watched the "so you think you can squat" videos over the weekend and this morning I went through my squat form for head to toe, but I still don't think I'm using my hamstrings enough. I'm trying to sit back but I feel like I'm going to fall over backwards. I tried to do a few body weight squats with the bench behind me and I kept falling onto it. So basically, any advice on how to correct this? I also feel like my torso is going to far forward to compensate for feeling like I'm going to fall backward...

Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Can you post a video? The guys here are great at identifying problems!
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Watch the Mark Rippetoe youtube videos for Starting Strength. He has the most thorough instructions for proper form. You can also get the book which is very good.
  • kellieem
    Options
    I don't have a video! I don't even know how I would do that, sorry!!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    It may feel counter intuitive at first because your body is not used to doing the movement.

What I do to record is just place the camera on a plyometric box or bench.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Falling over backwards doing squats may be due to leg proportions, i.e. relatively long femur compared to the tibia... it's easily remedied by taking a wider stance (just a little wider, not sumo squat stance). I can squat *kitten* to grass like this no problem at all, always have been able to, but if I take a stance that's shoulder width apart or narrower, I can't physically get my centre of gravity to stay over my feet, and I fall backwards. I can do full bodyweight squats on tiptoe with a narrow stance, or with my heel raised about 1.5 inches very easily, because this imitates the effect of having a longer shin bone. this article explains the biomechanics a bit better http://voices.yahoo.com/long-femurs-why-wide-stance-makes-parallel-squats-11752392.html?cat=50 I've always been able to do *kitten* to grass bodyweight squats, just I've always taken a wider stance without even realising it. I only became aware of this issue due to being unable to do pistol squats (impossible to take a wide stance on those) due to falling over backwards, even though I have good balance generally - which I later found out was to do with tibia/femur ratio, and then found I can't do regular bodyweight squats with my feet shoulder width apart either, even though I've always been able to do *kitten* to grass ones with a slightly wider stance.

I have no idea if this is the issue or not, but since the solution is very simple, i.e. taking a wider stance (just slightly wider, not sumo squat stance), it's worth suggesting. And pretty much every video or instruction I've seen on squats says to take a shoulder width apart stance, and they never mention this issue.

If it's something else, then taking a wider stance won't fix it and you can find out what is going on and how to fix it. but if a wider stance makes you immediately able to do below parallel squats when you can't in a narrow stance, and raising the heel an inch or two has the same effect, then it probably is this, and the problem is fixed.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Are you doing high or low bar squats? That changes things, too (Starting Strength--the book--discusses the differences in how bar position affects hamstring engagement).
  • kellieem
    Options
    Thank you for the responses!

neandermagnon, I'll definitely try a wider stance, but I feel like my stance is pretty wide. So I'm not sure....

bumblebums, I'm fairly certain I'm doing low bar squats, but I could be wrong. I don't have Starting Strength yet, so I'm just going off what I've read on the internet.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've asked a guy, who works out at the gym, to check my squat form and offer some pointers, hopefully that will help...
  • faithnna
    faithnna Posts: 42
    Options
  • faithnna
    faithnna Posts: 42
    Options
    Falling over backwards doing squats may be due to leg proportions, i.e. relatively long femur compared to the tibia... it's easily remedied by taking a wider stance (just a little wider, not sumo squat stance). I can squat *kitten* to grass like this no problem at all, always have been able to, but if I take a stance that's shoulder width apart or narrower, I can't physically get my centre of gravity to stay over my feet, and I fall backwards. I can do full bodyweight squats on tiptoe with a narrow stance, or with my heel raised about 1.5 inches very easily, because this imitates the effect of having a longer shin bone. this article explains the biomechanics a bit better http://voices.yahoo.com/long-femurs-why-wide-stance-makes-parallel-squats-11752392.html?cat=50 I've always been able to do *kitten* to grass bodyweight squats, just I've always taken a wider stance without even realising it. I only became aware of this issue due to being unable to do pistol squats (impossible to take a wide stance on those) due to falling over backwards, even though I have good balance generally - which I later found out was to do with tibia/femur ratio, and then found I can't do regular bodyweight squats with my feet shoulder width apart either, even though I've always been able to do *kitten* to grass ones with a slightly wider stance.

I have no idea if this is the issue or not, but since the solution is very simple, i.e. taking a wider stance (just slightly wider, not sumo squat stance), it's worth suggesting. And pretty much every video or instruction I've seen on squats says to take a shoulder width apart stance, and they never mention this issue.

If it's something else, then taking a wider stance won't fix it and you can find out what is going on and how to fix it. but if a wider stance makes you immediately able to do below parallel squats when you can't in a narrow stance, and raising the heel an inch or two has the same effect, then it probably is this, and the problem is fixed.

Can I tell you that I love you? I've been having this same issue where I didn't feel like I was getting low enough. I was struggling to push up with my heels, was always up on my toes, and I couldn't figure out how to get a better workout. Last night I went a teeny tiny bit wider in my stance and my *kitten* almost hit the ground. It was AMAZING! I felt the lift more than I have before and it was incredible.