What to play next?

Options
casy84
casy84 Posts: 290 Member
Hi,

I'm by no means a big gamer like you guys.
I played WoW for 4 years and got chubby because of it. Now I'm on a long WoW break(until next expansion or so because I didn't like the MoP daily system) and pass my time with some casual Diablo. Because I'm not a big D3 fan(it gets boring after a while) I would like to try a new game that won't make me a raiding maniac like WoW did.
Also my laptop is not that great and I don't plan on getting a new computer soon.
Any good WoW replacements out there?

Replies

• vaianaharrold
    vaianaharrold Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also am in the same boat that wanders the gaming seas drifting along looking for the the perfect replacement for WOW. I've played since Vanilla and quit two day into Pandas. Since then when i'm bored I've searched online read tons of reviews played countless free trials. My advice, shoot the bottom of your boat and sink it. You're better off drowning lol. Anything close enough will take up as much time as WOW did. Anything less will frustrate the hell out of you. I knew I was failing hard when I found myself raging in Monopoly...I will never admit this happened. We will pretend like it didn't and move right along. So now when I feel the urge instead I head to the gym, go for a walk, read, bug my kids, find some weird anime that confuses the hell outta me. Sorry I wasn't any help finding a replacement :(
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Heyyya,

Well I'm totally in the same boat as you, huge WoW fan but totally sick of the long grind high level now, so thought I'd knock it on the head for a while until I get the bug back! :)
    So far I've tried Neverwinter which is in Beta so I'm sure it still has its glitches and also Rift, I've found Rift is pretty good but still not completely convinced.
    League of Legends is a pretty good game, free too, you can get pretty hooked on that but I like the fact you just pick it up and play, no rep grinds, dailies blah blah so yeah they are worth a go. However I'll keep my eyes peeled on the post as I fancy trying something different too :)
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Battlefield 4 is on the way.

The Elder Scrolls Online is in beta phase.

Try Skyrim.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree with LoL but please don't be a noob and feed or go afk. Thanks.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    There are a few F2P games out there to dabble in, LOTRO, SWTOR, STO, etc but you probably wont be satisfied because they really feel like a step down from WoW.

Rift is awsome and on par if not above WoW in terms of game play but you have to sub and it will be a time sink like WoW. GW2 is a good replacement, as there is no sub so you dont feel like you 'have' to play to get your money's worth.

ESO will hopefully be good, i cant wait. There are others that are not sub like Skyrim and Defiance that have some good parts depending on your play style.
  • casy84
    Options
    Also, I agree with LoL but please don't be a noob and feed or go afk. Thanks.

I gave LoL a try and I was a 'shoot in the wrong direction' noob :))
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    kinda in the same boat myself.

I've been dabbling with path of exile at the moment. I've also mucked about in Terraria.

My boyfriend's currently on the game hunt to try and find something new. I've managed to keep busy with other things of late (exercise, cleaning, catching up on tv, etc.), even if I miss gaming.
  • juliannorton1000
    juliannorton1000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I think I know what you might be looking for, luckily.

You might try downloading Steam and looking under their 'Indie Game' Category. They don't contain a TON of replay value, but a lot of those games are of amazing quality!

Here's one you might enjoy for a little bit. =]

-Don't Starve: Simplistic in nature (title describes it), but very, very well done for a single player game! Also, just because it's single player game doesn't mean you and your friends can't all play it at the same time and share experiences; that's what we did and it was a crap ton of fun... particularly when your buddies start to freak out over dying!

-
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Im trying to find something myself as I seem to have lost the urge and desire to play WoW, Rift and just about anything MMO orientated on my computer. I guess it's because the people I used to play with have disappeared and Im left playing by myself which is no fun. I'm hoping something I try will keep my attention eventually. If not theres always Console. Time to play with Master Chief again......*shifty look* So yeah, no help, sorry. lol
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Starcraft 2? I never liked it but have been playing online with my brother and it's fun
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something like The Sims or Sim City or Skyrim to mix it up.

Rift (played since beta) is way above WoW in many aspects, except community. Trion has done such a piss poor job of marketing this game that it's going F2P. Too bad cause Storm Legion was a great xpac. But, like many of you, I stopped MMOing. When I took a break from WoW I went to DCUO, SWTOR, Rift, etc. Aside from Rift, they all let me down.

Waiting for Elder Scrolls Online to try out.

I would go back to shooters, but those communities just suck in general. Plus I can hear a guy across my condo complex yelling "that M-fer is camping again. Kill that ***** you stupid SoBs. God, why do you all F-ing suck?" every day. hahahahah

I really try to educate these young boys that you don't pick up chicks by showing them your KDR player card. :)
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm enjoying Neverwinter so far. It's free to play, so you can try it without worry. I have very active children, so I can't commit to long play periods the way I used to back in my MMO heyday, and this game really seems to work well for short play periods and is quite soloable. You can hop on, do a few quests or PVP and/or professions, and hop back off feeling like you accomplished something. And I think that the Foundry is going to really set the game apart as more and more quality user-made content becomes available.
  • dtroutman
    dtroutman Posts: 62
    Options
    Awe I'm in the same boat too. I really miss WoW but I realized one day this is why I'm fat and I'm just trying to break my own cycle of laziness lol. Good luck finding something!
  • casy84
    Options
    Thank you!
    I see there are options besides WoW and I'll start to look into them, but I'll come back to haunt you if I end up a chubby gaming maniac again :p
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I played WoW for 4 years and got chubby because of it.

Saaaame here lol.
  • Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I spent 1 year without wow from about halfway cataclysm. Ended up just spending all that free time playing other games instead lol!

LoL is a great game btw that's what I spent most my time on while off wow, and still pay it. The community is the worst in the world tho so be prepared :p It's not noob friendly at all.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've played a lot of MMOs but they do have that problem of sucking you in and making you spend too much time sitting still (possibly with drinks and snacks!). Not good for health/weight.

I've been dabbling more in single player games. I agree with the suggestion above about looking for indie games. It's fun to play something a bit different. If you like games with a story, I would highly recommend The Cat Lady, or To The Moon. Both of those really caught me up in the story, and I found myself thinking about them after I'd completed them. They are both quite "easy" to play, so maybe not the thing if you're looking for a challenge.

These games are often available cheap or on sale, through Steam, Gog, Humble Bundles, etc.

The other thing I've been doing is revisiting some old games, via www.gog.com . Now some of those old games are huge and time-consuming, so maybe not what you're after, but there are some classics that I'd played years ago and it has been fun looking at them again. Some are not as good as I remembered, but some hold up well. I'd recommend The Longest Journey if you haven't played it before. Planescape: Torment is great. And there are more recent games when on sale - Dragon Age, Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. are worth a look if you haven't played them.

Apart from that there are the free MMOs mentioned and I do dip into GW2, etc., but I find it's somehow much easier to limit gaming time on single player games that I can just save whenever I want.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Too late to edit, but I noticed that Beyond Good and Evil is on sale at gog today. I remember it as being a lot of fun.
  • Soultemptress
    Soultemptress Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I play Runes of Magic. Love it! It's completely free! They have a Slim Version which they made for laptops so it doesn't take up much space. I'm sure it'll work just fine on a regular desktop PC too.

I allow myself to play a game (Skyrim, RoM, BF3, ect...) for a month when time allows, then take 2-3 months off to give myself a break from the computer.

Good luck!
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Maybe try something like The Sims or Sim City or Skyrim to mix it up.

Yep the new sims city game is absolutely brilliant, and EA have bought a domain for Sims 4, looking foward to that!