Happy vs. Happy with yourself

Options
robertleecooper
robertleecooper Posts: 13 Member
I see, when I am creeping on some of the most inspirational members profile's, that there seems to be a large number of people that claim to not have been really happy. Their reason's for losing weight are "to be happy or happier". Not to get overly caught up in how someone perceives happiness, but I have found happiness is an attitude not a situation. I think that I have always been a happy person. I do not think weight has effected my general mood or happiness to much. But i do think that everyday life can be more enjoyable and I would rather be happy and healthy for a longer life. What are some of your opinions and ideas for long term happiness??

Replies

• grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have my happy days and my leave me the *kitten* alone days. These are totally independent of weight. Overall I would say I am pretty happy with my life in general and where I am at. Although I would definitely say I am not happy with myself.

I think that for a lot of people on here that I have met, if their self confidence / identity is shot due to their struggles with weight, then I can see how weight can affect their happiness. For me, my happiness day to day isn't so much about my weight, but just life experiences. My weight doesn't stop me from doing anything to make me happy (granted, can't skydive yet due to weight limits...). But if that excess weight would stop someone from going out into public for example, then I could understand how losing the weight could make them happy.

I figure if and when I ever hit my target weight, I may be more desirable, but not necessarily happier. I may be able to perform better like in physical activities and sports, but it won't necessarily make me a happier person in general. I will be much happier with myself knowing where I came from and that I did it.

I think it all just depends on the person and their mindsets. What makes you happy is different from me and we are both different from the next person. So for those who let their weight truly affect living their lives, then sure, losing weight could lead to overall happiness.

Just my opinion, but I like this topic.
  • cherrytm
    cherrytm Posts: 13
    Options
    I think the kind of happy you get after you've lost weight stems from getting lots of compliments, noticing your clothes looking better, and feeling healthier/sexier in general. I think this kind of happy probably wears off after a couple of months of losing the weight because you get used to being thinner and then find other things to be unhappy about. I think long term happiness is, like you said, an attitude adjustment. I sometimes have to remind myself to be positive and look for the good of things, and this leads to me feeling happier. It can be tempting to whine and complain and feel sorry for myself, but I find myself happier when I just suck it up, look at the positive side of things, and be grateful. Or if I cant do that, then at least go for a run and then have some wine.
  • robertleecooper
    robertleecooper Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great replies to this topic. The wine approach has worked for me many times as well (wine and music a regular Friday social problem I have). I don't have major mood swings but others sure can hijack my happiness at times. But I just spent a good portion of the weekend with my adult daughter and her boyfriend. Those two have so much positive energy when they leave I feel like I had a case of five hour energy. So to add to the post. If you cannot be happy for yourself maybe you could find the incentive to do it for those who who care about and are close to you. It really is contagious.