40 "Something" challenges

Options
emilyahartmann
emilyahartmann Posts: 23 Member
I used to think about dropping a few pounds and it seemed to happen....now that I am 40 something...this is not the case...any thoughts on how being 40+ creates barriers and how to over come these?:frown:

Replies

• DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hormones are an evil ***** !!!!!! And just as I get it figured out they change and screw my over again.... :grumble: :grumble: :sad:
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Seems I'm working 10 times as hard, and only maintaining. At least when I was 16, I'd workout and lose. Dislike! Dis Like, I say!! :grumble:
  • ghsamia
    ghsamia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with sweetbippy! I thought I had it figured out, and now I've gained 9.8 lbs. in about 6 weeks! I've been logging, exercising daily, eating somewhat healthy...stayed at an all time low weight for a year then gained the 9.8 recently. Hormones?????
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yep - I've never had a problem losing in my younger days. I've been trying hard, and when I say hard I mean trying to eat healthy, cutting down on processed foods and alcohol and adding more exercising, even though I know I've not been strict BUT still the scale hasn't moved and my pants are still tight. I am sure I am starting that menopausal state because I've having more sporadic periods and worse symptoms. I'm going to work extra hard the next few months to see if I can get back to my weight from two years ago and I am confident that the hormonal state will calm down and pass I just need to keep on going through it and not give up.

What are you all doing to get through these stages? I am taking on more exercise challenges because it seems like I cannot do it by watching calories alone. I have tracked calories consistently for weeks and kept them under my TDEE and I barely lost 2 lbs in 8 weeks. That was with little exercise because I was always so tired. So now I am upping the exercise and just trying to eat healthy and not watch calories for a couple of weeks then when I get into my exercise routine I am going to go back to tracking and see where I'm at. I've also started a hot yoga class. I don't know if you all have one available but I would highly recommend it. I feel better, have more energy and the health benefits, especially as we age are really beneficial. I've also been playing around with the 5:2 lifestyle of eating which I started out loving and it was seeming to work but I think the hormones started affecting that, and I just can't keep up the exercise routine on the low calorie days and I think right now the exercise is more important to me so I have put that on the back burner and may go back and try a few weeks after I get some other things sorted out.

Feel free to friend request me - I'm on here a lot and love a lot of support!