What will your baby sleep in

Options
Erinthebodo
Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
So my first son had a bunch of ear issues (which I didn't know at the time) which meant that he LOVED to sleep sitting up. He would scream bloody murder when I would lie him down flat. So, I actually started him sleeping in his car seat inside the bassinet which I know sounds crazy but it was the only position he would sleep in. Eventually I got him flat and then eventually he had tubes and adenoids done which completely fixed the issue. Because we had such issues with sleeping positions my mom told me to just use a crib with this one but I personally like the idea of something small right next to me as I will be breastfeeding. Did any of you use a bassinet that you really liked or the baskets for babies? Thanks!

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    We used a bassinet for my daughter, which I loved before we started cosleeping. (I wasn't comfortable cosleeping with a teeny itty bitty while I was on pain meds recovering from my csection) Having her next to the bed made me less paranoid because I could hear her breathe and it made nursing her easier. It rocked too so I could settle her if she was just fussing in her sleep.

This time we don't have the bassinet and can't afford to replace it, so this LO will be in our pack n play bassinet insert until we cosleep. Not quite as nice or as high up but should be workable, I hope.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need one of those sidecar co-sleepers that attach to the side of your bed! i would rather have the baby in it's own room, but with the latest research showing a reduced risk of SIDS for babies who can at least hear mama breathing, i will be 'co-sleeping', too!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have a cradle next to our bed.... until 3 months ago my 2 year old slept in it.... she is little I would bet maybe just over 25lbs, anyways she sleeps in a playpen next to us now but with in the next month will be transitioned out to the kids room. Insert cradle again which will be used to hold clothes or what ever till it holds the baby, we co-sleep. My husband laughs at me as I am protective even as we sleep, he says I sleep with my arm around the top of the baby and don't let him get near the baby as we sleep. I keep my arm up so he can't roll over.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Mine will have a cot next to my bed, but experience tells me baby will mostly be in with me feeding all night.
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We registered AND received :) a Summer Infant Rest Assured Sleeper -
    Description
    Product Description
    The Summer Infant Rest Assured Sleeper is designed with baby's safety and comfort in mind. A sturdy metal frame protects baby from parents rolling over. The mesh sides help air to better circulate protecting baby from overheating AND allowing parents to easily see their sleeping baby. The included pad is removable and machine washable.To help soothe baby to sleep, the Rest Assured Sleeper includes an electronics unit with 4 melodies, 2 nature sounds, a womb sound and two speed vibrartion. Loaded with parent conveniences like a nightlight with 3 settings and a 5 minute timer, and pocket for holding diapers, pacifiers and other necessities, the Sure & Secure Sleeper provides a cozy and comfortable environment for co-sleeping with baby. The Rest Assured Sleeper folds compactly for travel or storage.

My husband works out of town so we will be alone a lot of the time. I will be EBF so this will be very easy access for me, keeping baby close AND safe. We received it as a gift but it is only $65, which is much less then a Bassinet or Pack n Play. Also, I plan on an easy transition to the crib by just picking up the sleeper and putting it IN the crib when the time comes and then removing it once my little one gets use to the new surroundings. FTM so we'll see if this works. LOL
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What we did last time, and will do this time, is use a bassinet at first. Then, as nighttime sleep becomes more regular, we'll transition to the crib.
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had every intention of using a co-sleeper bassinet, and my MIL was kind enough to purchase it for us. I used it for maybe a week, IF that, until my little man decided he was NOT going to sleep unless he nursed to sleep right on me. I had no idea that co-sleeping was even an option, but thank goodness I had an amazing Doula who paid me a visit at home and showed me how to do it safely. And then the first 6 months were absolutely wonderful, I got plenty of sleep at night and had peace of mind knowing my little guy was safe next to me, and breastfeeding was very easy - we latched on and went right back to sleep! Co-sleeping became annoying when he started crawling and wanting to explore in the middle of the night :p But we continued and made adjustments along the way until he stopped breastfeeding entirely at 22 months and started sleeping through the night in his own bed, in his own ROOM (yay!!!) I think it gave him a very healthy start to sleeping, and though it was frustrating at times, it paid off in the end. Now for this next baby I plan on trying to use my co-sleeper again, and if he'll sleep in it, great, but if we need to co-sleep again, I'm prepared to do so =) I learned from my first that you can make all the plans you want, but you can't expect baby to fall into line! Mostly you should just be prepared to roll with the punches, I think =)
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I registered for the Fisher Price rock & play sleeper

http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-snugabunny-newborn-rock-n-play-soother/-/A-13868677?registryId=TmjejFLTvxRWu70LDaHCjw&fromMyItemsPage=true#

I really hope we get this, but even if we don't get it as a gift, we will purchase ourselves. It has great reviews for babies sleeping longer hours through the night. I plan on having it next to our bed so that baby is nice and close. I have a friend who's son will only sleep in the swing. I guess you just have to find what they like and go with it!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I registered for the Fisher Price rock & play sleeper

http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-snugabunny-newborn-rock-n-play-soother/-/A-13868677?registryId=TmjejFLTvxRWu70LDaHCjw&fromMyItemsPage=true#

I really hope we get this, but even if we don't get it as a gift, we will purchase ourselves. It has great reviews for babies sleeping longer hours through the night. I plan on having it next to our bed so that baby is nice and close. I have a friend who's son will only sleep in the swing. I guess you just have to find what they like and go with it!

I have a bassinet, two bouncy chairs (both hand-me-downs, which is why I have two), and a swing. I bought a different print of the above-mentioned item for someone I know who had a baby, and I really wished I'd had it for myself! It would take the place of the bassinet and the bouncer, if not the swing, too, though the swing is, well, pretty swing-y :wink:

The price is also good, too! $60+ for something that does so much is a really good deal for a brand-new baby item.
  • prplrose33
    prplrose33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The rock and play sleeper was the best thing ever! We never used it at night, but our daughter slept great in it during the day. We have a graco travel lite pack and play that we use for the first month or so before we transition to the crib.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We're using the Arms Reach Mini cosleeper and then will transition to a crib when older.
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/babies-r-us-exclusives/play-yards/arm-s-reach-mini-co-sleeper-natural-4111-n-2401894
  • miasmommy21407
    miasmommy21407 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We've coslept (bedshare) with all of us our kids but our youngest had REALLY bad acid reflux and no matter what I eliminated from my diet (EBF) it never got any better so the Rock and Play Sleeper by Fisher Price was AMAZING for us since it has an incline. We seriously used that more than any baby product I've ever owned. She slept in it for about 6 months and then started bedsharing with us until around 1 year when she went to her crib.

We're expecting a baby boy in August and we'll be getting another Rock and Play because after owning one with DD I never want to be without one, lol. BEST $60 EVER SPENT!!
  • samarieL
    samarieL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided for sure and in part it will depend on where the baby sleeps best. I have a bassinet and plan to try that in our room initially but my daughter slept in the pack n play napper . It was the same shape as those newer swings and made her feel, I think, like she was being cradled rather than laying and sleeping alone. She napped in the bouncer during the day. We don't have a bouncer at the moment so it is my plan to try the bassinet in our room upstairs for night and the pack n play napper in the living room for daytime.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    With baby #1, we co-slept until he was 4 months and then he went in his own crib. With this baby, I plan to co-sleep/have a rock 'n play sleeper (with incline) next to the bed. We're hoping to move before she grows out of the co-sleeping phase so she can have her own room!
  • JennyV2013
    JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting one of those rock and play sleepers for the first few months.
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper and I love, love, love it! So much better than the bassinet I used before.
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    We have a cradle that goes right next to my side of the bed, and we have a pack n play at the foot of our bed for diaper changes and an alternate place for her to sleep. Also have another pnp for the living room. I am sure there will be nights where she and I fall asleep in the recliner, and we plan to have a bouncer seat as well, although I don't love the idea of her sleeping in it at night when I am not watching her. Sometime around 6 months she will start sleeping in her crib.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We are a co-sleeping family here, too. I will be getting an infant bed that goes in the bed with you, but only because I could end up with another c-section (I hope not though!) and would not feel comfortable co-sleeping until off of any meds. We happened upon co-sleeping with my daughter when she was a couple of months old, but wished we would have sooner. I got so much more sleep and nursing was soooo much easier. When it is done safely it is a wonderful option.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have a cradle next to our bed.... until 3 months ago my 2 year old slept in it.... she is little I would bet maybe just over 25lbs, anyways she sleeps in a playpen next to us now but with in the next month will be transitioned out to the kids room. Insert cradle again which will be used to hold clothes or what ever till it holds the baby, we co-sleep. My husband laughs at me as I am protective even as we sleep, he says I sleep with my arm around the top of the baby and don't let him get near the baby as we sleep. I keep my arm up so he can't roll over.

I read a study that said that moms who co-sleep and breastfeed in bed will instinctively curl up around the baby in a position that protects baby from smothering, getting rolled over on, or falling out of bed. It also keeps baby right at the perfect level for breastfeeding. I loved it because the position they described was exactly how I have always slept with my babies without even thinking about it: arm curled up above the baby's head and behind his back, legs curled up under him. Keeps the baby in a safe little cocoon! :)

I'll be co-sleeping this baby just like I have all my others, with a bassinet for naptimes. I love co-sleeping and breastfeeding because it means I have never had to get up with a baby in the middle of the night unless he was sick! I hear all the other new parents talk about how sleep deprived they are, and I'm glad I don't have to do that! My husband also loves it because when my step-daughter was a baby she stopped breathing in the middle of the night, and they found her blue and unresponsive. Luckily she's ok, but co-sleeping makes that less likely. Something about baby hearing momma's heartbeat and breathing keeps them going.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies- I got the rock and play sleeper and will either use that or co-sleep :)