Anyone do this when it comes to dating sites?

Lizlicious2187
Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
I've caroused and commented here and there, but haven't been too vocal in this group. So I've found myself saying that I'll put myself out there blah blah and join a dating site...then 3 days later I'm deleting my profile because I'm over it. I've probably done this about 3 or 4 times now..and I guess it's because I'm sort of afraid of putting myself out there (like many people are). I keep doing this cycle of going online and then saying oh no I'll trying to meet someone the "normal" way, but I don't. I'm not the type to walk up to a guy. I haven't been in a real relationship since I was 19 years old..So just wondering if anyone else does the yo-yo game and how you broke the plateau so to speak. :drinker:

Replies

• kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Hi Liz. Same here...I read and commented here and there but haven't been to active with this group.

And I've done the same thing with online dating. I put my profile out there...and after a month or so I deactivate it. And then about 6 months later I get bored and reactivate it---and go through the same process!! For me I get tired of the online dating games, and I guess after 6 months I forget what those games were and try again. This time I went into with a different mindset--meaning I went into it with no expectations and if I happen to meet someone--great, and if not there's nothing lost.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    I go through phases where I like it and others where I hate online dating sites too. But, since people always use dating as a fishing metaphor (there are plenty of fish in the sea...) why not think of it as casting another line into the waters? So online and in-person meetings don't need to be mutually exclusive, you can be doing both at the same time. And really, leave your profile up and go about your life. If you're in the mood to flip through then cool, if not, then leave it unless you get a message, you don't need to feel chained to check it constantly.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Yeah I agree with PJ. What exactly is making you give up after 3 days? No matter where you meet people some of them are going to play games. Sometimes I don't think that that many people really play games. I think some people are just stupid, flaky, awkward, lazy, or just busy. I think playing games has became an excuse we give to people when we don't want to admit that they aren't really that into us.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    What those guys said...

I have found that online dating can be a great tool. But, you can't rely solely on it. I did that for awhile after my divorce because I was in a new area and I was just so uncomfortable meeting people. What I learned along the way is that if you leave a profile open, just let it be. Sure, go on once in awhile and check other matches. If you're interested, email. If not, just enjoy your normal activities. I won't go onto my profile unless someone has emailed. You always get the surge at the beginning (fresh meat) so if it's been a couple days without an email, I'll log on just so it shows I'm still around. I might add a new pic here or there. May change some of the wording once in awhile. But, otherwise, I don't worry about it. It's just another line in the water. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    If you aren't the type to walk up to a guy, then put yourself in a position to be approached by a guy. Do you go out by yourself at all? Give approachable "signs"?
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    We all evolve and grow as people, well, most of us :laugh: If you want a relationship, you have to make yourself available to meet prospective partners. It may not be comfortable, but you have to come to terms with it. For me I learned to put myself out there, I gained confidence in myself, but granted I'm much older and I went thru the process over half my life. I've always been rather social, although I'm not always the guy that just walks up to a woman and strikes up a conversation, but I am very comfortable meeting women in places where you could interact with new people, like a coed volley ball game, going dancing (I like country dancing two-stepping) so I ask women to dance...

At some point your desire to not be alone needs to override your other hurdles that prevent you from putting yourself out there. It can be a lot of work from the woman’s side when it comes to online dating. Men are expected to be the ones to initiate most of the time, so women generally get lots of messages, often by moron guys trying to get laid that never even read your profile.

I'll give you a tip, if you find a guy’s profile and think he is a good fit, wink, send a message, or something, it's not wrong to initiate contact. You may not be showing up on their screen but could be a good match....take charge of your own future and don't just leave it totally to chance. I have had far more enjoyable dates than bad ones using the online sites. I only go out with the expectation of having good conversation and enjoying whatever we are doing, usually meeting for a drink or something light to start out with. I don't expect there to be chemistry, I don't get way too hopeful about them being "the one", I just let things unfold and happen. This way you don't get too disenfranchised with the whole dating process.

Good luck. Oh yea, check out these videos. A girl on POF mentioned these in her profile and I really related to it. I actually have a date with the girl that posted a quote from her in her profile.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=brene%20brown%20vulnerability&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiCvmsMzlF7o&ei=FvCDUc2MI6qx0QHSmYCYBg&usg=AFQjCNFVvwbjqWe7KKqxdnOfFCcOiipVIA&bvm=bv.45960087,d.dmQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=brene%20brown%20vulnerability&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ted.com%2Ftalks%2Fbrene_brown_on_vulnerability.html&ei=FvCDUc2MI6qx0QHSmYCYBg&usg=AFQjCNGt3C0fjZyg_DOKqcWhJyiDXghOEA&bvm=bv.45960087,d.dmQ

If for some reason the links get broken, Google “Brene Brown vulnerability” and the first few videos that popup on youtube should be the ones.

But the gist of it is, the power of vulnerability is courage. You have to have the courage to allow yourself to be vulnerable and take the risk of getting hurt. I think the short term pain of dealing with a broken heart outweighs the long term pain of being lonely if you are longing to be in a relationship. For me, I can be happy alone, but I know when I am with someone I am in love with, and that love is reciprocated, it multiplies my happiness. I’m just wired to be in a relationship, I enjoy it.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    I've done it a couple times but then delete the accounts after like a couple months. ..
    mainly cuz I wasn't getting kind of feed back . .
    all my messages/winks would go out into the black hole of the internet . .
    Was kind of depressing after a while . .but then again I wasn't sending a million winks out every day . .
    but there weren't that many people in my area . .living in MT kind of makes it harder to find someone!
    I'll figure I'll do it the old fashion way and met people face to face,
    instead of some Russian girl who needs money to come visit me in the US.. . .
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    I've done it a couple times but then delete the accounts after like a couple months. ..
    mainly cuz I wasn't getting kind of feed back . .
    all my messages/winks would go out into the black hole of the internet . .
    Was kind of depressing after a while . .but then again I wasn't sending a million winks out every day . .
    but there weren't that many people in my area . .living in MT kind of makes it harder to find someone!

Just for kicks I ran a scan with search parameters on OKC the other day. I generally just wade through what they decide would work for me, but I wanted to see what happened if I put in my own criteria. Nothing egregious, just no smoking, no drugs, decent age range, etc. Within 25 miles of me there were only 2 hits. That's pretty much when I gave up.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Not exactly. I got tired of being single and started to sign up for match. I didn't make it through the whole sign up process and I stopped. Shortly after I did go on a few dates with guys I met "organically." I'm still in touch with both, the situations just weren't right at the moment. Will I try again in the future? Maybe... But I can see myself deleting repeatedly too.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    no :-/ if Im not into dating, i focus on making myself more and more awesome so i can get a better grade of man by the time I decidedi want to date again.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    What those guys said...

I have found that online dating can be a great tool. But, you can't rely solely on it. I did that for awhile after my divorce because I was in a new area and I was just so uncomfortable meeting people. What I learned along the way is that if you leave a profile open, just let it be. Sure, go on once in awhile and check other matches. If you're interested, email. If not, just enjoy your normal activities. I won't go onto my profile unless someone has emailed. You always get the surge at the beginning (fresh meat) so if it's been a couple days without an email, I'll log on just so it shows I'm still around. I might add a new pic here or there. May change some of the wording once in awhile. But, otherwise, I don't worry about it. It's just another line in the water. :)

This is great advice. Advice that I am going to take. I have been a little frustrated becuase I have sent a LOT of emails and got very few responses. Only got 1 email that wasn't in response to one of my emails. Had a few email conversations that didn't lead anywhere. It's just a line in the water (such great advice) don't become dependant on that line. Continue with other activities.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Ive done this a few times, it seems to be everytime I get a request, I just politely message the person requesting (just out of courtesy) and end up deleting my profile, I always get the feeling that, (im not saying this is accurate just my opinion) that a lot of people on dating sites are the type of people who need a relationship, were I am the type of person who views a relationship as something that adds on to your life not takes over it, I am 50/50 on it though, a lot of my friends have met their partners on dating sites and seem more successful then people who have met in places like bars and clubs, so my theory is probably incorrect lol
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member

If you want, I might be able to find a couple Russian brides for you when I move to Moscow in August...

On topic: I always wind up deleting within a couple weeks to a couple months because my messages go into the deep dark abyss of internet-dom and never get answered, and I never get messaged, so I've always just found it a waste of time and self-esteem.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Question - why go through all the effort of deleting a profile? If you don't like it anymore just.... stop logging in. That's what I've done. That way if I decide to check it out again I can just change the necessary deets and then be ready to go.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member

If you want, I might be able to find a couple Russian brides for you when I move to Moscow in August...

I spent 3-4 years traveling to Moscow just about every other week. Opened an office there for a previous company. This was pre-Putin, when the mob ruled, and you could still get shot in your hotel lobby. Crazy times, crazy times.

As to Russian women, any relationship over 30 minutes is usually a mistake.

--P
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Question - why go through all the effort of deleting a profile? If you don't like it anymore just.... stop logging in. That's what I've done. That way if I decide to check it out again I can just change the necessary deets and then be ready to go.

for me personally I know its still there so I still feel like I'm on it until I delete it, I'm conscious of it even if I'm not using it. that's from my prospective anyhow others will have different reasons
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    I have an OKStupid profile that I've had for a few years. I do the same thing .. forget about it and just let it linger. It's not that I'm not interested in dating, I just have so much going on in my personal life, I feel full right now and usually too tired to do anything else. When I wasn't feeling "full", I was spending time with the wrong people, negative people, who were pulling me down. Getting rid of them and focusing on me was my way of finding that confidence. I've made drastic changes in my life and I'm happy with those. I eventually would like to find my soul mate, my supporter, my #1 fan.. but until then, like someone else said, I'll continue to make myself more and more awesome. =)
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    yup was on for a few months, then got off a few months ago....now i'm kinda thinking of jumping back in and seeing how it goes this time around ...
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    I sign up, do all the stuff, check out some potential matches and do about nothing. I had Match for 3 months and I think I sent 2-3 winks or emails. I've had EH for a couple months and I did their opener once. I also had a PoF and OkC account, but did nothing with em.

Of course, I'm also thinking of moving in a few years as I want to leave Vegas and experience living elsewhere (just waiting for my oldest to finish HS), so perhaps that's why I'm more open to distance stuff and tend to close down ladies here. :D

BTW, what's "normal" these days? I read a study that said online dating was only 2nd to meeting someone at work now.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    I sign up, do all the stuff, check out some potential matches and do about nothing. I had Match for 3 months and I think I sent 2-3 winks or emails. I've had EH for a couple months and I did their opener once. I also had a PoF and OkC account, but did nothing with em.

Of course, I'm also thinking of moving in a few years as I want to leave Vegas and experience living elsewhere (just waiting for my oldest to finish HS), so perhaps that's why I'm more open to distance stuff and tend to close down ladies here. :D

BTW, what's "normal" these days? I read a study that said online dating was only 2nd to meeting someone at work now.

good question. if you mean by the normal way of meeting people, I wont lie I rather meet people in real life through work or school or through mutual friends but it wasn't happening that's why I went online. its ok I have met a couple of nice guys, but really only 1 that I was truly interested in. at the end of the day tho would I really like to introduce someone to my parents and tell them the truth about how we met? I would be (and still am embarrassed) to say I met someone online when ppl ask.
    its not as accepted by society as you would think. oh well. :ohwell: