question for people who ride 3hrs+ a day

Options
tvcjosh
tvcjosh Posts: 23 Member
Hi MFPers,

I'm a little concerned about the numbers I'm seeing on my exercise diary. I work as a Bike Messenger ( no, it's not like premium rush) and so I'll spend anywhere from 3-6hrs in the saddle. I realize that MFP's cardio calculator is an intelligent guess at best, but am I really burning 3500 calories, and on some days more a day?

Replies

• runforsummer
    runforsummer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That definitely seems reasonable. You're doing a lot of riding, so keep fueling!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If you feel it's too high, it probably is. If your hr & breathing don't really elevate, you probably aren't burning 10cal/min, but you are definitely burning more than the guy/gal sitting at the desk all day. Good luck.
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    it sounds high, but the burn is dependent on your speed. if you average over 20 mh you may be burning that much. If your average is less than that you are probably burning 1500 to 2500.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i commute 3hrs a day (whenever possible) my Garmin tells me i burn around 1500 cals for that (includes 1000m ascent)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think I would describe MFP's calorie calculator as an UNintelligent guess myself :wink:

On training rides over long distances I tend to burn approx 600cals/hour according to my HRM.

I'm 5'9" and 170lbs if that helps for comparison.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I to find that MFP guess work is normally quite a bit out. I always go by a heart rate monitor.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    MFP calculators for cycling massively over estimate.

I calculate mine using a HRM connected to my Garmin GPS. I believe the figures calculated with this method are far more reliable and believable as they take into account my age, my weight (including bike) - I've forgotten the name of the formula they use. They are usually about 1/2 of what MFP estimates.
  • tvcjosh
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Now the next question... Which heart rate monitor would you suggest?
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Polar FT4
    Polar FT7
    Garmin IHaveLotsOfMoney
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started with a Polar FT7 - I use it in the gym and when I stated cycling -good for totals
    I now use the Garmin ANT+ linked to my Garmin Edge - I like the fact I can review my HR at different stages of a ride. Helps me review my training.

For cycling I definitely recommend the Garmin One, but as you need to buy the GPS device as well it is not cheap solution.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As a bike messenger, one of the watch type HR monitors might be more comfortable and practical since you won't have a high dollar bike computer attached to the bike. Plus, I imagine you do a lot of running and stair climbing as well. However, I have no experience with such HRM's and hope others can fill in the gaps.
  • tvcjosh
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Polar FT4
    Polar FT7
    Garmin IHaveLotsOfMoney

hahahaah. that garmin one is pretty good.
  • tvcjosh
    Options
    As a bike messenger, one of the watch type HR monitors might be more comfortable and practical since you won't have a high dollar bike computer attached to the bike. Plus, I imagine you do a lot of running and stair climbing as well. However, I have no experience with such HRM's and hope others can fill in the gaps.

great advice, thanks!!