Week Menu

Okay. I do have to cook for a family of 5 (#6 is at college) so tell me how to make this work and lose weight =)

Sunday: Baked Ziti with corn
Monday: Savory Port Roast with Cheesy Sliced potatoes and Fresh Green beans
Tuesday: Lasagna
Wednesday: Pork Chops in Bean Sauce with Potato Salad
Thursday: Sloppy Joes with potato chips
Friday: College kid is in town and 3 other family members will be gone so might eat at college kid's fave restaurant
Saturday: Spaghetti and meatballs.

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    There isn't anything on that list I wouldn't eat (well, except sloppy joes only because I don't like them). For me it's about portion control. I weigh everything and rarely have more than 1 serving of anything (unless it's ice cream :blushing:.

It's tough when you're cooking for your family and doubly so when you're working on top of that. But you have to make yourself a little bit of a priority and let the kids fend for themselves a little bit more. You're important too.

*Edited because my inner grammar police was cringing ;).
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    for the pasta, lower the cheese qty and use a lower fat version.
    sub veggies for chips. I would also sub turkey for beef on the meatballs. it's still good.
  • true90inc
    true90inc Posts: 33 Member
    I will address later for you - I have really bad internet connection today. I will be home later tonight!
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    I would try to eliminate more of the pasta and grains, and sub veggies as much as possible for them. Go for less processed foods for fresher ingredients when possible - watch the sodium contents of food, but otherwise - portion control!
  • Christy73K
    Christy73K Posts: 4
    I would add salads to most of the days or make sure there were enough veggies being served I could have a smaller portion of the not as healthy items and go heavier on the veggies and salads. A lot of times the extra veggies at our house include the carrots and celery that are already cut up in the fridge. Oh, and we also add in fruit if there isn't a lot of veggie variations that night.
  • true90inc
    true90inc Posts: 33 Member
    I agree with most of what has been said - Here are some suggestions:

When you are having pasta (high carb), don't have a high carb veggie. Add a salad, and maybe have broccoli or green beans.

With sloppy joes - I love them, and love the meat - use lean beef or turkey - and if I am having a "high" calorie day, I will have serve mine on a slice of lower calorie bread. I don't like whole grains - I am sorry - but I will NOT give up my white bread and potatoes :). I usually get the Aunt Millie's Potato Bread light (35 cals a slice)!

When you have pork chops or chicken - try to go easy on the sauce - and you can still fix the starch, but only eat a small portion - put the meat on top of a salad if you need something to go "with" it!

I have a salad for lunch and dinner just about EVERY day - it helps to fill me up (and I use the "fancy" lettuce, not just iceberg, so there is more nutritional value.

My diary is open to friends, you can look and ask any questions you want (although yesterday and today were not good - as I was traveling)!

Give the kids the chips! You can have raw veggies :) or get baked chips (not sure where you are, but Aldi baked chips are not bad)!