New (male) to group.

Options
March 22, 2013. Post op with only a couple issues that I have worked out. Things going well. Start 368 lbs, last time I weighed myself = 306 lbs. Don't care to weigh myself to often.

Replies

• gwen6971
    gwen6971 Posts: 49
    Options
    Congrats on the success you've had. Welcome to the group.
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Great loss so far.
  • SaintsFan1975
    Options
    i am new to the goup also. Has the sleeve Oct 2012. I am currently at my goal weight now working on toning and muscle. Please add if you would like.
  • Esh568
    Esh568 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!
  • joshputt
    joshputt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Never weighed myself until after my surgery. Now I do it every few days, usually when I'm having a good morning.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Typical recommendation is to weigh every week (or less) during weight loss but every day (more or less) in maintenance.

I admit it -- I weighed almost every day during weight loss anyway. :laugh: At one point it was driving me crazy so I had dh hide the scale for a week, but the rest of the time I only recorded my weight officially on Wednesdays (my surgery day) and I was okay with weighing on the other days.

Definitely weighing every day (except when I forget or am away from home) during maintenance has helped me a lot. Studies show people who weightlike that in maintenance have a lot less problems with regain so that's part of why I do it. I wouldn't do it if it was driving me mad though.
  • hollyann31
    hollyann31 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi welcome!! congrats on your weight loss; you must feel great...feel free to request me; could always use the motivation and support
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Weighing youself everyday doesn't keep you on track. Everyday you can have things not in your control cause your weight to go up. That doesn't mean you are a failure. Don't weigh any more than once a week, but don't use the scale as your only guide too. The scale doesn't always give a true picture. Keep your measurements and take pictures too, even in maintenance.

It's been 3 years next week since my surgery. The last 20 lbs and maintenance are hard, but if you take the first year and realy learn what needs to change for a lifetime, you will succeed. Good eating, eating within limits, and exercise, all need to be a habit. This first year is your time out to instill these habits. It's possible, and you can do it.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Weighing youself everyday doesn't keep you on track.
    Maybe it doesn't keep you on-track but everyone is different. It keeps me on-track. And studies show it keeps a lot of people on track. Those who weigh daily during maintenance tend to do better on average than those who do not according to numerous studies.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sleeve and welcome to the group. Love the many comments about how often to weigh yourself. I think it's a personal thing. Don't let it become a fixation, but if it helps you to stay steady with your food program, use it. If it bothers you when you see the various ups and downs, stay off it but once a week. Remember that a pound of fat is bigger spacially than a pound of muscle, so sometimes your scale won't move, but your clothes feel bigger, meaning you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Pound for pound you are the same, but inches is where that loss is. Guess the point is, don't let the scale be your only gauge.

Send a friend request if you're inteested.