NEW MOMMY - What training to do

Options
ClairBears84
ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
Hi there everyone I am now 13 weeks pregnant and very excited:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
i am already in love with my little-love.

I want to go back to gym this week, I am scared I do something wrong, Can I cycle? walk and maybe do light weight circuit, nothing too straining ( i normally lift heavy)

any advice is welcome THANK YOU:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am 19 weeks and still doing the same routine I was doing before I got pregnant. That includes lifting heavy, slightly modified yoga (for the belly) and running, though the running has slowed down at this point. I will be modifying my lifting so that I am no longer laying down on my back after next week, but other than that I plan to continue as is for as long as possible.

My doc advised me that it was fine to continue everything as it was before, but to listen to my body. So far, so good. It is always worth checking with your doc as every situation is different. The activity has made this pregnancy much more tolerable than my last!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!

From what I've seen (and my own Drs words) it really is determined by your starting health- heart rate, blood pressure, etc and any foreseen complications in the pregnancy. So the honest truth is your doctor is the best person to have that conversation.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Thank you, My Doc also says that i should listen to my body. :smile: She just said I must not over heat.
    I will go back tomorrow morning and see how it goes, I am nervous for heavy lifting but will see how what goes tomorrow.

My blood pressure is perfect, and i was pretty fit before hand, I dont run though.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've done fine heavy lifting, I just take long rests and back off if I feel hot or tired. :smile:
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you, My Doc also says that i should listen to my body. :smile: She just said I must not over heat.
    I will go back tomorrow morning and see how it goes, I am nervous for heavy lifting but will see how what goes tomorrow.

My blood pressure is perfect, and i was pretty fit before hand, I dont run though.

My Dr said the same thing about overheating- but I live in Texas so it's easier said than done. I had strict orders for no outside "exercise" other than the pool for any day over 100 degrees...... Um, I think that's an easy rule since I don't even want to move when it's that hot!
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    I've done fine heavy lifting, I just take long rests and back off if I feel hot or tired. :smile:
    I will give it a go then. :) x
  • ClairBears84
    Options

My Dr said the same thing about overheating- but I live in Texas so it's easier said than done. I had strict orders for no outside "exercise" other than the pool for any day over 100 degrees...... Um, I think that's an easy rule since I don't even want to move when it's that hot!
    Fortunately it is almost winter here. I totally over slept this morning so we are aiming for tomorrow :laugh:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I was running and Spinning regularly, and my OB, a Spinning enthusiast, said that I could absolutely continue doing it, just don't go breathless or do any sprints on the bike. Obviously with running, I shouldn't be sprinting - it should be more like a light jog - but low energy reduced my runs to walks. (I ended up with a friable cervix so had to stop Spinning, and a ligament issue has kept me from walking very fast or for very long - my OB recommended the elliptical, which would have required a gym membership and a desire to gnaw my own arm off, so I've just been doing as much walking as my body can handle.)

She didn't put any heart rate restrictions on me so much as said that I should be able to keep up a conversation (maybe very slightly broken up) while working out.

I'm not sure about lifting, though.

The big no-nos on the cheat sheet they gave me at my first visit said basically no activities that require lots of jumping/bouncing that could be jarring, so no horseback riding or trampoline use.

Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Fortunately it is almost winter here. I totally over slept this morning so we are aiming for tomorrow :laugh:

Ah, you're on that side of the world :smile: That is very helpful for your workout plans - it's much easier to bundle up than to try not to overheat! I live in the southern US where it gets incredibly hot and humid very early in the year and stays that way for quite a while (March/April-October/November). It makes working out outside very difficult. I have to do my runs very early in the morning or not do them at all... Even late in the evenings, it's still too hot. I really need the whole night to cool everything down, and runs in the rain are a Godsend! Our winters are very mild, though, which makes for AWESOME outdoor workouts. Hopefully wherever you are, you have the same thing. I wish we were going into winter rather than summer because I want to be able to take long walks with the baby and not worry about him/her overheating. (I'm due in less than a week.)
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Hey I live in Cape Town South Africa.:smile: its on the other end of the world from you. Our winters get chilly and very wet but not very cold. Summers get very hot too. My baby will be delivered at the beginning of summer. EEEK Our house is nice and cool though so hopefully we will be ok. xx

I am keen to get back and try it all out again I LOVE gym, I HATE The elliptical:sad: