Your Gym

Options
Helloooooo there!

I'm new around here and generally new to the world of intentionally exercising after spending far too long just generally not being bothered. I was just wondering which Gyms or fitness clubs people use?

A couple of years back I joined the gym at my local leisure centre but it wasn't very nice. It was smelly with no air con and too few machines to cope with busy times. I did try a yoga class but my mat had a hole in it and the instructor (dragon) lady actually told me I should be able to do one particular thing because I'm quite small but she couldn't understand why I found it difficult. I didn't go back.

oing to give it a propper go and have signed up with Total Fitness. I know they have received sketchy reviews in the past but I work in customer service and I know that for every one person who posts a bad review there are sooooo many more who would have posted good reviews but can't be bothered. I went for a taster session and I like the place, the changing room and showers are clean, the machines seem to be in good order and the pool is fantastic!

Hopefully I will be hapy there.

Replies

• nowornever250
    nowornever250 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well done for joining a gym. The next thing is too keep going.:wink:
    Sure this site will give you the motivation.

Anne
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of a gym. I never went. I cancelled it and am concentrating on doing my own exercise. I've discovered I prefer just going outside and doing things. Don't think I'm meant to be a gym rat.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the leisure centre gym near me too. It was cheap and convenient, but the leisure centre was attached to a local comprehensive school, so if I went at 4, it was busy with all the school kids.... I couldnt use the pool until after 6 because of all the swimming lessons... some nights it wasnt available at all.... there were just about enough machines, and they were in reasonable condition, but if you put your dumbells down to do the next item on your circuit, someone else would take them without asking, so you couldnt finish your training. The changing rooms were so gross, and the lockers were almost all broken - actually there were only about 25-30 of them, and on a good day only 5 were working.... I used to find excuses to "not bother tonight, I'll go for a walk instead"
    I guess you get what you pay for!

Now I go to a local gym that is totally the opposite, its insanely busy (still not really died down after the new years intake) but the staff and trainers are all very freindly, there is no restrictions on pool usage, plenty of machines, and plenty of weights, and the range of classes they run is amazing... With this gym I have totally changed my thoughts on visiting the gym, and I'm usually there 6 days a week.... its sad that the receptionists know my name when they say goodnight to me as I walk out of the door.
  • helenme28
    helenme28 Posts: 18
    Options
    I used to go to the leisure centre gym near me too. It was cheap and convenient, but the leisure centre was attached to a local comprehensive school, so if I went at 4, it was busy with all the school kids.... I couldnt use the pool until after 6 because of all the swimming lessons... some nights it wasnt available at all.... there were just about enough machines, and they were in reasonable condition, but if you put your dumbells down to do the next item on your circuit, someone else would take them without asking, so you couldnt finish your training. The changing rooms were so gross, and the lockers were almost all broken - actually there were only about 25-30 of them, and on a good day only 5 were working.... I used to find excuses to "not bother tonight, I'll go for a walk instead"
    I guess you get what you pay for!

Now I go to a local gym that is totally the opposite, its insanely busy (still not really died down after the new years intake) but the staff and trainers are all very freindly, there is no restrictions on pool usage, plenty of machines, and plenty of weights, and the range of classes they run is amazing... With this gym I have totally changed my thoughts on visiting the gym, and I'm usually there 6 days a week.... its sad that the receptionists know my name when they say goodnight to me as I walk out of the door.

I think it's very important that you are comfortable with where you are going to be spending your time. It's a shame that the local leisure centres seem to be plagued with neglect due (presumably) to lack of funding. My local one was closed for just over 6 months as they had "Found" asbestos within the pool systems.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join a gym but here come the excuses; i had a membership but spent most of my time injured so it went to waste, have the attention span of a gnat , ooo there are so many excuses for me but i have a lot of respect for anyone who has a regular gym routine. I'm a team sports kind of girl and being outside is soooo much better. I hit the trails for a run n live close to the peak district so ride my bike out there n then there's rugby. It takes over your life:bigsmile: training in most weathers with an awesome support group pushing you onwards(team mates), the road trips to games, the social side of it n the most supportive n funny friends ever who are your rugby family.I love it n when its quiet I do a spot of hula hooping n juggling.
    The most important thing in exercise is to enjoy what you do, so good luck n have fun hunni:smile:
  • 1976lisa1976
    1976lisa1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Due to house moves I have been a member of various gyms and my favourite has to be total fitness! Mainly due to the 200 mtr indoor track that ran around the cardio machines. I had a fab circuit I would do 3 times with an 800 mtr run in between each circuit. I do miss that gym!

Ps I need some uk friends on here, anyone please feel free to add me for moral support!
  • helenme28
    helenme28 Posts: 18
    Options
    Due to house moves I have been a member of various gyms and my favourite has to be total fitness! Mainly due to the 200 mtr indoor track that ran around the cardio machines. I had a fab circuit I would do 3 times with an 800 mtr run in between each circuit. I do miss that gym!

Ps I need some uk friends on here, anyone please feel free to add me for moral support!

I think I'm a way off from using the track yet but it would be nice to actually feel forward movement! When I can run a little but on the treadmill then we'll see.

Oh and added you as a friend ^_^
  • 1976lisa1976
    1976lisa1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks accepted ya :)
    Is it the total fitness at hand forth dean? I used to cycle there from hazel grove as a pre workout workout lol. Oh I wish I was that fit again!
  • amateurdude
    amateurdude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of "The Gym" (http://www.thegymgroup.com/).

It's as cheap as they come, open 24/7, closes maybe 3-5 days a year, and is just all round awesome. the only down side to such a gym is it's focus on machines over free weights. I'd personally appreciate having more than 1 oly bar and power rack but there you go.

I checked your profile, says you live in Manchester, this is the Manchester Gym. http://www.thegymgroup.com/find-a-gym/gym/the-gym-manchester/
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm a member of the local council gym. I guess we must be lucky because its pretty good. I'd like it to have a bigger free weight area, but it has 2 complete sets of dumbells, 3 or 4 oly bars and a whole floor for functional fitness and mat work. Only 1 squat rack though. The pool has plenty of lane swimming times but usually has one lane marked off even during public swim times. Most of the trainers I've had for classes have been nice and patient too. All that for £21 a month which I think is good value.
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    I go to Pure Gym and it's pretty decent for my needs
    24/7 and open all year around
    2 Oly bars
    5 Olympic Bars
    2 Squat/power racks
    1 Smith Machine

Then the normal machines etc.