Should women have the right to vote?

Options
SirBonerFart
SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
Do you think we need to repeal the 19th amendment?

In Freedomnomics (p160-165), John Lott traces the relationship between female suffrage and per capita government expenditures in the US at the state level (several states ‘preempted’ the 19th amendment, Wyoming and Utah by half a century) and finds that as the percentage of women voting increased, the amount of per capita governmental spending rose as well, at faster rates than it did in states where women were prohibited from voting.

Even Ann Coulter thinks we shoudl repeal the 19th amendment
If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about another Democrat president. It’s kind of a pipe dream, it’s a personal fantasy of mine, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    it’s a personal fantasy of mine

id-*kitten*-to-it.jpg
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Apparently when he's not making up data or posing as a sycophantic grad student, John Lott confuses correlation and causation.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    As said by treetop: "correlation and causation". At best, there's correlation going on regarding government expenditures and women's suffrage.

Even if there was causation, that would not be a justifiable reason to remove women's right to vote. I find it sickening people out there want to debate the issue as a remote possibility. Talk about a fundamental right that should not have needed an amendment in the first place.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    That would be assuming that every woman voter (sic) was a Democrat and/or voted for additional expenditures.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Women vote with their feelings instead of the facts.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Which makes them just like men.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Thanks for that sweeping, generalized statement that is a stereotype.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that people that do not agree with me should not have the right to vote.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Really?! I'm pretty sure men do it too... and Republicans...
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Women do, in general, support greater government interventions in the health, safety and general welfare of our citizens. Since many of these interventions, such as public education, support a stronger, more successful country, I propose that men instead lose the right to vote.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty well known fact that in countries where men have the right to vote, there is a significant increase in government violence, corruption, dishonesty, and general *kitten*-hattery.

Seems to me, by any anti-female or anti-male rationalization, Ann Coulter should not have the right to vote.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why we let them out of the kitchen.

In all seriousness though, repealing suffrage would be a tremendous step backwards, and if the argument being used is that it would ensure your preferred party the presidency, then the appropriate response is to stop sucking at politics.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you think we need to repeal the 19th amendment?

In Freedomnomics (p160-165), John Lott traces the relationship between female suffrage and per capita government expenditures in the US at the state level (several states ‘preempted’ the 19th amendment, Wyoming and Utah by half a century) and finds that as the percentage of women voting increased, the amount of per capita governmental spending rose as well, at faster rates than it did in states where women were prohibited from voting.

Even Ann Coulter thinks we shoudl repeal the 19th amendment
    If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about another Democrat president. It’s kind of a pipe dream, it’s a personal fantasy of mine, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women.

Hey, that means I'd get to keep all of the money from my paycheck! No taxation without representation, remember? Hello, double-sized paychecks and no more tax filing crap!

/sarcasm

I agree with the others, perhaps Ann Coulter shouldn't have the right to vote. (Because we all know that it was women voting that has caused the issues we have in government, and not the fact that there aren't enough women sitting in Congress to control the voting one way or another, meaning it's largely men making these decisions.)
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    I firmly believe that people that do not agree with me should not have the right to vote.

There you go!
  • treetop57
    Options
    . . . . if the argument being used is that it would ensure your preferred party the presidency, then the appropriate response is to stop sucking at politics.

Ann Coulter has made a great career out of sucking at politics. Why do you want to deprive her of a job!??!?!?!???!?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Are we even sure that Ann Coulter is a woman?
  • treetop57
    Options
    Doesn't matter to me one way or another.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Meh... I think anyone that casts an uneducated vote shouldn't be able to vote... I'm tired of people voting the status quo because they are too lazy to do a google search or read the newspaper... or hell, even the League of Women Voters publications... and then we keep getting stuck with people like Gov. Goodhair (Perry, for those of you outside of Texas unfamiliar with the moniker).
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Thanks for that sweeping, generalized statement that is a stereotype.
    Stereotypes are rooted in fact. I never said men didn't only that women do Generally they are far more emotional about choices and issues instead of factual. Look at the polling data. You cant argue with the truth.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Perhaps if you provided some facts instead of just your feeling that women are far more emotional about choices and issues, MassiveDelta, more people would be persuaded by your argument.