I think it's time to increase my calories again!

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Last time I knew it was time to increase my calories (had been at maintenance, moved them up higher) when I started craving junk food - pop tarts, chips, ice cream, etc. (I don't restrict myself to my cals - if I'm hungry I eat - but generally overall I eat around my cal target).

Well - the past two days I've been craving doughnuts and pie. I think it might be time to go up again! :P 20 weeks and just going by my body's cues, have only gained a pound depending on the scale that day, so yeah, probably time. How do you decide when to go increase your cals?

Replies

• bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I upped mine when I was still starving all the time. I wasn't restrictive like you, but used my cal goals as a guidepost. So, when I would eat consistently over for about a week I would up my calories.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I don't restrict, if I'm hungry I eat! It's just a general thing to aim for.
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was trying to say like you, I am not restrictive. Typed that in the wrong order the first time. :-)

Sorry!!
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Oh gotcha - lol! That makes more sense, I was like - nooo I swear, I don't starve myself! =)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Ha! I was set to "lose" during very early pregnancy (first 7-8 weeks) and manually changed it closer to "maintain" when I started eating crap every day! I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and on the higher end of my "normal" 3-5 lb weight range.

How are you managing to only gain a lb so far?? I am so jealous!! Part of me wonders of all the support meds aren't helping me in the weight department.... We'll see, as I go off them in a week. I got in a nice walk today (I didn't have to work) and that felt good. Just another 10 work days then I'm off for summer break and hoping I can get lots of walks and bike rides in.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    It's not intentional, I thought I'd be closer to 5lbs by now. But I eat according to hunger and absent those cues try to at least hit my cal goal unless I feel sick. I figure I'll probably gain more in the second half and once I hit the third trimester.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I'm starving all the time! I was set at lose 1/2 a week up until about 20 weeks. Then moved up to maintainence and now at 31 weeks am toying with the idea of adding the 200 extra calories recommended for the 3rd trimester here in the UK. I've put on 13 pounds so far and think I can keep it in the 25-30 range with this intake. But I promise I'm not starving myself. I eat all my excercise calories and generally over 2,000 calories a day.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I always pretty much go over my calories for the day...:/. It didn't really start to effect my weight until week 20 though and then the weight kind of shot up...I believe weeks 20-28 your body goes into crazy hunger mode, since that's the baby's fastest growth time...I'd at least add about 250 healthy cals :O).
  • JennyV2013
    JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I pretty much go over my calories too and I've gained 7 lbs at 17 weeks (too much since I started out overweight). I'm trying to learn to eat less. I've eaten so much for so long...
  • motherjuly31
    Options
    I go through waves of being super hungry and also super full. I'm currently 28 weeks and I have been super hungry for 3 days now. I'm toying with the idea of adding an extra 200-300 calories a day (I'm currently on maintenance) but I'm also waiting to see if it is just a growth spurt and that it will even out in a few more days.

But lately, I too have been going over my calories. I'm like a piggie somedays, haha!