More Doctor Appointments...sigh

Options
BBeccaJean
BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
So baby measured at 5 lbs 12 oz at 37 weeks yesterday....hopefully it's just technician error, but I have to schedule two more appointments an hour away since she measured small :O(. They're saying the baby might have "intra-uterine growth restriction"....thanks for making me nervous doctor. Baby is still moving like crazy and she feels pretty big...so I'm going to just hope for the best and try and stay as calm as possible...don't want any complications at delivery!

Replies

• bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Weight measurements are notoriously inaccurate at the end of pregnancy. 37 weeks on my boys were "measured" at over 9 pounds. My first was born at 41 1/2 weeks and was 7 lbs 14 oz. My second was born 38w 6d and was 8 lbs 3.5 oz.

Is she measuring small on her other measurements or just weight?
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the problem is. She is nearly 6 lbs at 37 weeks. You still have 3 weeks to go. She could easily put on 2 pounds in the time and be nearly 8 pounds, and if they are wrong in their guesstimate, be even bigger. I think doctors are way to worked up about these ultrasound measurments. Is your fundal height measuring fine? I really wouldn't be concerned. Either wway hope you get confirmation all is well soon!
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the problem is. She is nearly 6 lbs at 37 weeks. You still have 3 weeks to go. She could easily put on 2 pounds in the time and be nearly 8 pounds, and if they are wrong in their guesstimate, be even bigger. I think doctors are way to worked up about these ultrasound measurments. Is your fundal height measuring fine? I really wouldn't be concerned. Either wway hope you get confirmation all is well soon!

I totally agree with this. I don't know how almost 6 pounds at 37 weeks is small. I was 6 pounds at birth and perfectly healthy.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

^^^I totally agree!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said, that doesn't seem too small. I just had mine measure a little over 5 pounds at 35 weeks, and the Dr is talking about how that is ahead of schedule and is giving the go ahead now to induce me at 39 weeks instead of waiting for due date. Also, both my boys measured "average" at their ultrasounds and came out at over 10 pounds each. ouch.
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I went through that with my first pregnancy. They finally said he was 6 pounds by u/s, around 36.5 weeks. They ended up inducing me at 37 weeks due to pre-e. His hr dropped too low and I ended up with a c-section. Turns out he was only 4 pounds 10 oz.

The good news is, he is perfectly healthy today @ 7 years old. He did have a bit of low muscle tone but it has all resolved. He was in the hospital 6 extra days due to not keeping his feedings down, but after that he was fine. He was classified as IUGR officially.

So even if your baby does have IUGR, s/he could be fine.

My second baby was closely monitored but did not have IUGR. However, he was only 5 pounds 3 oz at birth @38 weeks. He was perfect and roomed in with me right away. You may just have small babies, or the u/s could be wrong. Small does not automatically equal unhealthy!
  • BBeccaJean
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance ladies...fundal height and everything else has been normal up to this point...so I think they just want to find a reason to induce me...who knows! I'll be making the appointments tomorrow though. Just trying to stay relaxed and go with the flow.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Good luck with everything. The ultrasound measurements aren't that terribly accurate. My first 2 sons measured very large, fundal height and in the ultrasound. Both of them were under 8 pounds, but one was 23 inches and one was 24 inches (a little longer than your average newborn). I refused the additional ultrasounds for this pregnancy. I said if anything, this one feels smaller!
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Any news? How you and the babes are doing well :smile:
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, scans can be way off especially when baby doesn't have much room in there. With my 3rd, I was measuring 2 weeks ahead so they did an u/s. He was measuring at 9 lbs at 35 weeks. Well, he was 10 days late and was 9 lbs 15 oz. So, I think they were a little off on the u/s. I think the baby weighing almost 6 lbs at that time is perfectly fine and the baby has a lot more time to pack on the weight. GL!!
  • BBeccaJean
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I have the ultrasound tomorrow, they'll decide if they want to induce me or not. I'm 38w+3 now, so it's not that far from due date anyway. I'm hoping baby is at least 6 lbs when she's born and that I can have a few more days to get things ready, but we'll see! It's nice to hear all your stories about u/s v. actual weight...it makes you wonder why they couldn't find a better way to estimate...
  • BBeccaJean
    Options
    Had the ultrasound. They said overall she's measuring at 20th percentile, but her head is on the lower range. I'm hoping it's just because she's squished. I haven't heard back from my doctor, so I'm guessing they just decided to let it go! Hopefully she comes soon anyway!