Seeking New Friends In Arizona

Options
What's up everyone? I hope everybody is having a nice week so far. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my post and my profile.

I've lived my entire life in northwest Indiana (super close to Chicago), but I've always been so drawn to Arizona. I'm so sick and tired of the winters here in Indiana. I tan well so I am a sun and heat junkie and I adore the pure beauty of your state. I'd love to live in an environment where I can play tennis every single day.

Please don't think I am seeking sympathy, but the other very important reason for me to live in your beautiful state is because I'm ill. I've been very ill for a very long time and it is very important I live near the Mayo Clinic. By looking at me or hanging out with me, you would not know I'm ill. My illness is NOT contagious. Basically my immune system is a little messed up. I've spent a significant amount of time at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, but the fact that the beautiful state of Arizona has the healthcare I desperately need is a no brainer for me.

It would really mean a lot to me if I could establish some genuine friendships with as many cool people from Arizona as possible. I would very much appreciate help, advice, and guidance where the coolest and cheapest places to live are near the Mayo Clinic. I would also be very thankful to know where and what to avoid.

Forming friendships now would be so very cool because it would be awesome to have some folks to hang out with when I get there. If I am lucky enough to meet some kind and generous folks now. The plan right now is for me to move to Arizona in November and get settled in. Then after a year, I talked my girlfriend into joining me.

So once again thank you for reading my post and profile. Hope to hear from some kind and generous folks soon.

Geyser

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic is in north Scottsdale. There is the Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Clinic Hospital, so actually there are two campuses up there. Scottsdale is unfortunately not the most affordable place in the valley, although with the way housing has been I'm sure you can probably find something affordable nearby. Scottsdale is a "happenin'" city if you're into dining and nightlife. That part of Scottsdale is sort of at the northeast corner of the valley so one down side is that you're a bit far from everything else. The hospital is right by the freeway, but the clinic is a little more "out there" closer to Fountain Hills, which is also a somewhat affluent area.
    There is tons of affordable housing all over the valley, it just depends what kind of neighborhood is acceptable to you and what community offers you the lifestyle and standard of living that you want. Good luck with the move. It's nice here, but the summers can be a bear!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hey there I'm about 35 min from Scottsdale and 45 from fountain hills bit I do drive up there for hiking occasionally. Shouldn't take much convincing with the gf. When I moved away from Ohio to here it was one of the top 10 days of my life (despite being very sick with a stomach flue) it is lovely here with so much to do and no pesky snow and leaves to weigh you down. If you miss that stuff just drive to Sedona for a day. I seriously love it here. For a healthy grocery store with affordable produce go to sprouts. That's the best advice I can really give. Love that place. You can message and/or friend me if you like.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend.

As a native to New York, I know all about snowy and cold winters. I moved here for school, ended up getting married, and then staying here indefinitely. While the winters in Arizona are quite nice, I still can't get used to the summers. 120 degree heat is not something everyone can "just get used to." It's still a struggle for me, and there are days where I would rather survive through a nor'easter than live one more day in the Arizona summer heat. I have always been a cold weather girl.

If you are considering moving here, come to visit sometime before you make the full commitment. I hike frequently and maybe we can set up a MFP Arizona hiking event. Also, there are tons of ways to make friends through meetup.com. A friend of mine moved here a few years ago and she was lonely and sad that she didn't have any friends. Then when she found meetup.com, she met all kinds of ladies her age with similar interests and then all became well with the world.

My advice to you in a nutshell:
    1) add AZ people on mfp as your friend
    2) come to AZ for an extended visit, get to know the different neighborhoods, begin to shop around for places to live.
    3) join meetup.com to make new friends and look for phoenix/scottsdale meet up groups. There are groups for everything under the sun - beer/wine connoisseurs, hiking, camping, fishing, happy hour, cycling, etc.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    hey there! glad you are considering. always loved it here. been here since 71 so I feel pretty native. im in glendale so across town from mayo but that area is very lovely. lots to do here.I love it here. I lived in michigan for a bit durinb the summer and couldnt imagine dealing with the snow. go to flagstaff if you miss it! we are avid hikers. the grand canyon is amazing! you can also fr my husband Ron, rookie167, we love meeting new my fitness pal peeps!
  • DavidJPerkins
    DavidJPerkins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hiking group? We are in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!