Stop looking at my PLATE!! 5/21

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://napchallenge.org/

I thought this was a cool challenge. Hey do what you feel...do it for today and see if you can do the 'plate' or do the whole alloted time! I am going to try it because I think my diet needs a check up! Maybe with the Farmer's Market open now I will do better.

Tell me your thoughts? Like it hate it or doable?

Peace,
WW

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of lots of veggies and less grains and starches. Not crazy about limiting your day to 3oz of meat per meal! That's only ~50 g of protein all day.

I'm jealous that your farmer's market is open.
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I will be giving this some try!! Good remindersn
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of lots of veggies and less grains and starches. Not crazy about limiting your day to 3oz of meat per meal! That's only ~50 g of protein all day.

I'm jealous that your farmer's market is open.

Yeah, 50g of protein. Not happening for me.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Don't like that I have to register to find out what it's all about
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Don't like that I have to register to find out what it's all about

Sorry, maybe if you click on the main page ACIR you can read about it. I just gave you the main page. I agree with the rest I do eat more meat. But I think the main idea of eating more vegetables is KING! Most adults (who torture their children to eat thier spinach! LOL) do not eat enough vegetables themselves!
    EAT up!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I think I'll skip it since I"m following a specific doctor's orders diet style. I suspect that system would freak out at how much fat I'm eating. And the protien amount is going to be too small too. Nice try though. It's always a good exercise to see if you are actually eating healthy though each program like this one has it's own ideas/agenda of 'healthy'.
  • threadlove
    threadlove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well this week's vegetable challenge sounds like a good idea. :)
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and registered so that I can easily see all of the challenges over the next 12 weeks. I like the idea of introducing a new habit one at a time. :) (I'm a big fan of baby-steppin'.)

(WarriorCupcake, when I register for things like this, I use a pseudonym and an email address specifically designated for sign-ups.)

For those who are following other dietary guidelines, I think you could modify today's challenge to complement your plan by focusing on its basic idea, which is to make sure to eat plenty of plant-based foods at each meal. Personally, it seems I could always eat more vegetables, so that's what I'm focusing on today and this week. I don't think I can get all of the micronutrients (and how they work together) found in vegetables in a supplement, and I would really like to fuel my body with those nutrients more and more.

So...would anyone like to share their favorite vegetable recipe? (Pretty please?) :smile:
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Thanks WW and Bea,
    I'd better stick to the plan the RD gave me (veggie serving directions: AT LEAST 2-4, but pack in as many as you can get!) and it's got the 3 servings of protein (total of 9 oz per day) she wants me to have.

Bea, here's my fave veggie recipe (and the only way I eat brussel sprouts, sorry there are no specific measurements, but I make it to taste)
    preheat oven to 350F
    1 pkg brussel sprouts, trimmed and cut in halves or quarters depending on size
    4-6 tablespoons olive oil (the original recipe called for 6, but I found it too oily so I cut it down)
    fresh garlic, salt, and pepper to taste
    balsamic vinegar
    Heat oil in frying pan til it shimmers, add sprouts cut side down and garlic, salt, and pepper to your taste (I use more garlic than salt and pepper) and cook til lightly browned on cut side, if pan is oven safe, put pan in oven for 15-mins to 1/2 hour (since I usually make 1-2 servings I use my toaster oven so I just line my toaster oven pan with foil and dump the contents of the pan into that and cook it that way) watch them to make sure they don't burn (the first time I made them it took 45 mins for it to cook through, the last couple it took about 20 mins) sprinkle with balsamic vinegar to taste.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i went grocery shopping today and more than half my cart was produce! Lots of bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, avocado, pears! and more! Filled my dinner up with tons! of veggies. I like that this post made me very aware. and it will keep me on track to eat all my veggies this week before they go bad!
  • anorangie
    Options
    Thanks WW and Bea,
    I'd better stick to the plan the RD gave me (veggie serving directions: AT LEAST 2-4, but pack in as many as you can get!) and it's got the 3 servings of protein (total of 9 oz per day) she wants me to have.

Bea, here's my fave veggie recipe (and the only way I eat brussel sprouts, sorry there are no specific measurements, but I make it to taste)
    preheat oven to 350F
    1 pkg brussel sprouts, trimmed and cut in halves or quarters depending on size
    4-6 tablespoons olive oil (the original recipe called for 6, but I found it too oily so I cut it down)
    fresh garlic, salt, and pepper to taste
    balsamic vinegar
    Heat oil in frying pan til it shimmers, add sprouts cut side down and garlic, salt, and pepper to your taste (I use more garlic than salt and pepper) and cook til lightly browned on cut side, if pan is oven safe, put pan in oven for 15-mins to 1/2 hour (since I usually make 1-2 servings I use my toaster oven so I just line my toaster oven pan with foil and dump the contents of the pan into that and cook it that way) watch them to make sure they don't burn (the first time I made them it took 45 mins for it to cook through, the last couple it took about 20 mins) sprinkle with balsamic vinegar to taste.

Oh, good! Thanks so much, WarriorCupcake. I'm going to try this recipe this week. :)
  • anorangie
    Options
    i went grocery shopping today and more than half my cart was produce! Lots of bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, avocado, pears! and more! Filled my dinner up with tons! of veggies. I like that this post made me very aware. and it will keep me on track to eat all my veggies this week before they go bad!

Wow! Good job! :)
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am not going to do this challenge from the site. But I am still working on my own challenge to increase my vegetables. Always a good idea to eat those vegetables.