11 year old girl squats 226 pounds

This girl has actually broken world records on several occasions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ya-TjJ2XBA

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    amazing!!! I have no excuses!!!

my 6 yr old was very impressed and wants to start weight lifting :bigsmile:

are there any good lifting programmes for kids?
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    amazing!!! I have no excuses!!!

my 6 yr old was very impressed and wants to start weight lifting :bigsmile:

are there any good lifting programmes for kids?

Check in your area for "summer camps". I know that we have one powerlifting gym in my county that will do summer camp for kids starting at 6yrs old. From what I read they will teach the kids lifting form and the exercises are age appropriate.
  • neandermagnon
    sounds good and I'll have a look, but they probably don't have stuff like that where i live (i.e. Bahrain)...

I'm going to teach her the basic form using a broomstick instead of a barbell... if she can do that and is still interested then I'll have to find a way to find out how to teach kids how to lift. My barbell is a very light one - I want to buy an olympic barbell but I don't have the spare cash at the moment, so maybe I could use that but only after I've done enough research.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    wow!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Wow! I feel like a punk now. I'm sore from squatting the bar. :smile:
  • fishlover888
    fishlover888 Posts: 132
    This is amazing and I'm super impressed by her, however I feel some sort of.. urge.. to advise caution, as a health professional, when it comes to weight lifting for adolescents. I think the current recommendation is to stay under 50% Body Weight. Obviously she has great form and that helps a lot, but with an adolescents growth plates not being formed yet and and ongoing muscle imbalances that usually occur in puberty, there is a huge risk for injury. And not just little injuries like muscles strains, but also labrum tears, stress fractures...

Food for thought. I'm treating a 14 year old right now with bilateral hip labrum tears from squatting during wrestling practice. Now he probably wasn't trained as well on form, but I'd hate for any kid to have to deal with that kind of pain and the potential need for surgery. And though good form helps protect you it can't fully prevent injury.

Again nothing against this girl in particular.

I'll try to dig up some research for y'all.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    This is amazing and I'm super impressed by her, however I feel some sort of.. urge.. to advise caution, as a health professional, when it comes to weight lifting for adolescents. I think the current recommendation is to stay under 50% Body Weight. Obviously she has great form and that helps a lot, but with an adolescents growth plates not being formed yet and and ongoing muscle imbalances that usually occur in puberty, there is a huge risk for injury. And not just little injuries like muscles strains, but also labrum tears, stress fractures...

Food for thought. I'm treating a 14 year old right now with bilateral hip labrum tears from squatting during wrestling practice. Now he probably wasn't trained as well on form, but I'd hate for any kid to have to deal with that kind of pain and the potential need for surgery. And though good form helps protect you it can't fully prevent injury.

Again nothing against this girl in particular.

I'll try to dig up some research for y'all.

When it comes to professional sports all of them have their risks. If you have a gift and chance to achieve a lot in the field you will risk it. And I think it's much more probable to end up with injuries when you are training but you are not the top best in your category, then you train with mediocre school trainers, she most likely has top notch training and medical care to avoid this.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Rippetoe has a section on young person lifting in Practical Programming. I haven't checked his citations (if he gives any) but it was basically that you're never too young or old as long as you programme properly.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Damn!! Apparently that's what beastmode looks like!
  • neandermagnon
    Rippetoe has a section on young person lifting in Practical Programming. I haven't checked his citations (if he gives any) but it was basically that you're never too young or old as long as you programme properly.

is practical programming a book that he wrote? if not then what is it and can I buy it? my 6 yr old is bugging me to learn how to lift weights still :p I'm going to teach her correct form with a broomstick on her shoulders first, but once she can do that, she'll most likely want to lift actual weights....
  • Rippetoe has a section on young person lifting in Practical Programming. I haven't checked his citations (if he gives any) but it was basically that you're never too young or old as long as you programme properly.

is practical programming a book that he wrote? if not then what is it and can I buy it? my 6 yr old is bugging me to learn how to lift weights still :p I'm going to teach her correct form with a broomstick on her shoulders first, but once she can do that, she'll most likely want to lift actual weights....

Yes it is a book that he wrote. Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • neandermagnon

• Rippetoe has a section on young person lifting in Practical Programming. I haven't checked his citations (if he gives any) but it was basically that you're never too young or old as long as you programme properly.

If you decide to buy it, get the second edition.