Any VBAC Stories?

Options
Mommylicous
Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
Hi all! I just recently found out I'm preggers :) Due early Feb of 2014 (So this is real fresh lol) and I was wondering if any of you ladies had ever had a successful vaginal birth after previously having a c-section.

My first child was delivered via c-section after 3 days of labor with no progression.. But I was also very lazy, never worked out (or even did my daily walking for that matter) and I ate horribly and put on 40 lbs..

This time, I've been working out for months with both strength training and cardio before getting pregnant, I'm planning on continuing to stay active and watching my caloric intake so that hopefully I can 1.) Prime my body to deliver vaginally and 2.) Lose fat while I'm pregnant.

So, have any of you ladies had a VBAC?

Replies

• samarieL
    samarieL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My second son was a VBAC. I knew I could do it even though I was heavier than with my first because I knew why I'd had a c-section with my first. They induced on an unfavorable cervix. he wasn't ready to be born. After 36hrs and only getting to a six they said c-section.

With my second I had done a TON of research and we hired a homebirth midwife. My husband read the research with me and was completely on board with the whole thing. I did end up delivering him in the hospital with an epidural but I didn't really care, I just wanted that VBAC.

Baby number three though came by last minute c-section again after 36hrs of labor, I made it to an 8 with him but when they weighed him in at 12lbs I was super glad for the c-section. lol

I think that VBAC is the ideal way to go. The practice of not doing them isn't evidence based at all. It can be difficult to find a provider and hospital that will actually let you have the VBAC. That's why we went with a homebirth midwife. Do your research, know your facts, stick your ground and if you are doing a hospital birth hire a doula. That's my practical advice.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of preparing for a VBAC myself, so I hope to have a success story for you in October! I second the advice to hire a doula, preferably one with VBAC experience. I would also consider taking a birthing class and research, research, research. Find a doc that is supportive of VBAC that delivers at a VBAC friendsly hospital (call and ask for thier stats) and write a good birth plan. I am obsessive by nature and very type A, so if you need any resources I have tons!!

I am doing the Hypnobabies home study course in preparation for mine and I LOVE it. It was written by a Bradley instructor, so the course is extremely informative. My husband is even into it. I have found it to be very good at helping me understand medical interventions and how they may affect my chances of VBAC. Sadly, you cannot count on the hospitals to make good decisions for you, you have to be educated about birth and each process involved. The CD's have helped my sleep and overall quality of life, so they have already proved to be worth the money. I do think that state of mind and confidence are very important in getting the birth that you want.

Good luck!!!
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just had an unsuccessful attempt but I was very out of shape and lazy (idk if that matters). All my cs have been failure to progress and I am an extremely slow to dilate. I highly recommend you get the most experienced and well known (at hospital) doula that you can. I had a trainee doula and she was not helpful in a vbac sense. They can help you from getting whisked away on the hospital/intervention train. Stay at home as long as you can bc once you get to hossy the clock starts ticking. Also, the ICAN network can refer you to a local chapter and help you find supportive OB's, MW's, and doulas.

Good luck!
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies :)

Rubyann, good luck on your VBAC! Sounds like you are ultra prepared though! :)
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to hear stories too! My first son was delivered via c-section due to failure to progress and fetal distress. He had a lot of other medical issues that were diagnosed early so I was okay with going that route (he is a fine and happy toddler now, I should add).

I'm hoping to deliver son #2 via VBAC in August. In preparation I am doing a natural birthing course with a really wonderful woman at Isis Parenting. I have a very, very supportive doc and I'm delivering at a hospital which has midwife nurses and natural birthing rooms with a lot of options for how you labor, including tubs and options for alternate laboring positions and so on. We are still deciding whether we are getting a doula or not -- its very outside of what we can afford, but my husband just started a new job and its something we hope will be possible.

I will try to come back here and share my story in September. Good luck to all of you shooting for a VBAC!
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I'm hoping to hear stories too! My first son was delivered via c-section due to failure to progress and fetal distress. He had a lot of other medical issues that were diagnosed early so I was okay with going that route (he is a fine and happy toddler now, I should add).

I'm hoping to deliver son #2 via VBAC in August. In preparation I am doing a natural birthing course with a really wonderful woman at Isis Parenting. I have a very, very supportive doc and I'm delivering at a hospital which has midwife nurses and natural birthing rooms with a lot of options for how you labor, including tubs and options for alternate laboring positions and so on. We are still deciding whether we are getting a doula or not -- its very outside of what we can afford, but my husband just started a new job and its something we hope will be possible.

I will try to come back here and share my story in September. Good luck to all of you shooting for a VBAC!

You also might be able to find a doula in training that is free or only has a small fee. Check your local mommy groups and ICAN chapters. they are out there!
  • graycalico
    graycalico Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried for a vbac with my ds but his heart crashed so I had an emergency section. Turns out he had heart defects that the ultrasounds didn't pick up. I'm going for a vba2c this time, so hopefully in July I will give you a success story.
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had a sucessful VBAC less than 19 months after my emergency c-section (my blood pressure dropped so low that I lost consciousness) after 40 hours pf pitocin-induced labor (my water had broken naturally, but no contractions).

I prepared well, stayed very fit, and made sure not to gain too much weight. I researched like crazy to find the best options in my area. I switched up my insurance a bit so that I could deliver at a particular hospital using midwives only. The hospital in general is very natural-birth friendly and is one of the few "baby friendly" hospitals based on WHO standards. It was another very long, difficult labor - all back labor = yuck!!! But I used the ball, shower, squatted, etc as long as I could. After 32 hours of active labor, my boy was in my arms!

Just stick with your palns, ladies!! It is AMAZING!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section with my first baby, and VBACs with the next three. I know why I had a c-section: they screwed up my epidural and I was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down. Nobody would believe me, the doctor just kept saying I wasn't trying to push. No one would ever admit what really happened to me. They called it cephalopelvic disproportion, a very rare condition that is wildly over-diagnosed.

My first VBAC was a fight. I should have known it would be when my "VBAC-friendly" OB laughed at me and mocked me for creating a birth plan. I won't go into details, because it would scare you, but suffice to say that my body worked perfectly, my baby did exactly what he was supposed to, and I prevailed over hospital staff who did everything possible to sabotage me. I learned that the MOST important thing is to have a truly supportive provider. Not just someone who pays lip service, but someone who actually listens to you, and respects your right to make decisions for yourself and your child. Also, especially if you birth in a hospital with an OB (who might not even be there for your labor), you need support people who will be on your side and advocate for you while you are in labor. Someone who will not waffle and say, "Well, I know you didn't want X, but maybe you should..."

My next two babies were also born VBAC, and they were much better experiences. One of them was born at home in a 45 minute labor! My fifth baby was another c-section, for fetal distress. But now I'm planning a VBA2C with a very supportive provider. He's my favorite doctor that I've worked with so far, and he cared for me during my previous miscarriage. I still have some anxiety over my first two births, so it's incredibly important to me that this OB totally respects me and my decisions, and I can trust him if he says something is wrong. I know he's not just going to rush to a c-section unless there is a legitimate reason, and that he's willing to explain everything and let me make a final decision.
  • karebear22776
    karebear22776 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to have a VBAC after 2 c's?
  • Rubyayn
    Options

It is very possible, but only likely if you find a very supportive czre provider. They are out there!! Your risks would not be much more than a VBAC after one C-section and in my personal opinion, still safer than a repeat C section.
  • michelleepotter
    Options

Yes. Studies show that the risks for VBAC (after one c-section) and VBA2C (after two) are about the same. The risks do go up after three, though. I'm preparing to have a VBA2C this December, after having had c-sections with my first and fifth babies. (I had VBACs in between.) There *are* things that need to be considered, like why you had c-sections before, and what kind of incision you had (you most likely had side-to-side, which is good), but a VBA2C is definitely possible.

The most important thing, as I said above, is finding a truly supportive care provider. It's difficult, because some will play the bait-and-switch game, promising you a VBAC and then coming up with some excuse why you can't when you're like 38 weeks. (If that ever happens to you, know that it's never too late to switch to another care provider! Also, know that you CAN simply refuse. The hospital cannot turn you away, and your doctor cannot drop you without giving you time to find someone new.) Ask a ton of questions, like, "What percentage of women who come to you wanting a VBAC end up having a vaginal birth?" and "What criteria do you use to decide who is a good candidate for a VBAC?" ("big baby" should NOT rule out a VBAC!) and "What do you do differently to manage the labor of a woman who is trying for a VBAC vs a woman who has never had a c-section?" It's good to avoid induction for a VBAC, because that legitimately increases the risk of uterine rupture. But it could be a red flag if your provider puts a lot of extra restrictions on you, like not being able to refuse IV, having to stay in bed, or being told you must have or can't have an epidural. Also look for any indications that the doctor really views VBAC as some incredibly dangerous venture that he'll let you "try" as long as you abide by his conditions. Finally, look for signs that your provider doesn't respect your right to make the final decisions on your own healthcare. Brushing off concerns, dismissing your birth plan, or pressuring you to change your mind on small matters are all signs of a care provider who might suddenly decide you can't VBAC at the last minute.
  • melbelair
    melbelair Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a successful VBAC with my 2nd child and honestly hoping to have a section with my 3rd. That VBAC was the one of my biggest regrets
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi Mommas! I'm hoping for a VBAC in Nov. I met a Doula I love who is working towards her certification so she's way more affordable to us. I've done some research & have been trying to watch my weight as well as prepare my body physically w yoga. I plan to walk more when the weather eases up. I don't do heat. My c-section w my daughter was a nightmare & this is my final birth so I really am going to try everything for a VBAC. Planning on laboring at home for as long as possible. :-) Good luck to you & everyone!
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am sooo blessed to say I have a VBAC story now! My daughter was born July 27, in our home. So she was actually an HBAC, home birth after c-section. It was amazing and I hope every mom considering trying a VBAC does it because every baby is different and just because my first didn't work out, my second sure did!

A few encouragements:
    1) my VBAC labor was only 4 hours! Compared to 30+ with my first
    2) my baby weighed only 7lb 6oz compared to 8 lb 9oz
    3) I had a doula, NO interventions, took a Hypnobirthing class (loved it!!) and overall was in a MUCH better place spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Ultimately it was God that really changed my heart and gave me the strength to birth naturally. Without all the interventions at the hospital (epidural, pitocin, etc) it went so much faster. We are so thankful for our VBAC story :)
    If you have any questions, please message me!

Blessings to you as and your sweet little one growing inside you!!
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I am sooo blessed to say I have a VBAC story now! My daughter was born July 27, in our home. So she was actually an HBAC, home birth after c-section. It was amazing and I hope every mom considering trying a VBAC does it because every baby is different and just because my first didn't work out, my second sure did!

A few encouragements:
    1) my VBAC labor was only 4 hours! Compared to 30+ with my first
    2) my baby weighed only 7lb 6oz compared to 8 lb 9oz
    3) I had a doula, NO interventions, took a Hypnobirthing class (loved it!!) and overall was in a MUCH better place spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Ultimately it was God that really changed my heart and gave me the strength to birth naturally. Without all the interventions at the hospital (epidural, pitocin, etc) it went so much faster. We are so thankful for our VBAC story :)
    If you have any questions, please message me!

Blessings to you as and your sweet little one growing inside you!!

Yay!! So happy for you and your lovely VBAC birth! How wonderful. :)

I only wish my plan covered home birth because I have come to believe it would be best for me. I do have a great team inclusing a doula and birthing center midwife that will deliver with us at the hospital, so though it is not ideal I think it will work. I am glad to hear hypnobirthing helped you. I am doing hypnobabies and am hoping for a similar birth story in a few months!!
  • yahyamommy
    yahyamommy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had my first c section as I had placenta previa. I conceived my second when first was exactly 11 months old. I have seen 3 drs in 3 different hospitals yet and first said not possible, 2nd said Highly unlikely and 3rd said it all depends on various factors on those last moments. All say same reason the gap is very short.

I went for early elective c section at 37 weeks. Luckily I never bleed, otherwise they started telling me to rush hospital for delivery as soon as see blood or feel contraction. My first c section experience was terrible physically, emotionally and mentally, I want to opt for VBAC

Is it possible to go for VBAC, after that short time span between 2 pregnancies?
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I had my first c section as I had placenta previa. I conceived my second when first was exactly 11 months old. I have seen 3 drs in 3 different hospitals yet and first said not possible, 2nd said Highly unlikely and 3rd said it all depends on various factors on those last moments. All say same reason the gap is very short.

I went for early elective c section at 37 weeks. Luckily I never bleed, otherwise they started telling me to rush hospital for delivery as soon as see blood or feel contraction. My first c section experience was terrible physically, emotionally and mentally, I want to opt for VBAC

Is it possible to go for VBAC, after that short time span between 2 pregnancies?

I have read of people VBACing closely after a C-section. You will need to find a supportive care provider though. That is often the determining factor. Have you checked out ICAN online? They even have local groups on Facebook and the ladies there were instrumental on helping me find the right birth place.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I had a successful VBAC with my 2nd child and honestly hoping to have a section with my 3rd. That VBAC was the one of my biggest regrets

May I ask why?

Congratulations Heather!

Yahyamommy, it is possible - ideally you want 18 months between births minimum, which you fit. It sounds like you have not found vbac friendly providers - the answer you are being given is not evidence based.
  • michelleepotter
    Options

I would keep looking for a supportive care provider. Like PP said, ideal is at least 18 months between the births, and you're going to have 20 months. My c-section baby was only about 9 months old when I conceived the next one, and everything went great!