4a/b help!!!

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
My daughter is in the 4 family and I have been trying to save her hair. She is now 11 and I dont know if it is the hormonal changes or what but her once very long, thick, and strong hair, is now breaking off with every comb, or brush. Its so dry, brittle and dull. Products that work for my hair, dont do anything for hers. I wasn't sure before but due to the fact that her hair doesnt hold moisture very well, Im starting to think its highly porous. Does anyone have these issues? Has anyone remedies similar issues? What steps did you take? any advice and/or suggestions are more than welcome and greatly appreciated. :ohwell:

Thanks,
Curvimami/Tia

Replies

• LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Naptural85 always has great stuff on her channel and she's in the upper type 4 range.
    If it's breakage, it might not be hormonal because with my experience, shedding tends to be hormonal and breakage tends to be lack of moisture. For one, I do recommend cutting back on the combing and try finger detangling until you figure out how to regain strength in her hair. (Confession: I've actually stopped combing my hair because the breakage was killing my progress and breakage barely exists for me now.)

Do a protein treatment (like an egg or mayo or something) and from there do regular moisturizing deep conditioning treatments (Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle saved my hair life, but I don't leave it in for 3 minutes at all lol, it's more like 1 hr for my 4c hair and sounds like maybe your daughters hair could benefit from a longer time as well.) And my hair didn't hold moisture at all either. Seal with shea butter or castor oil for maximum moisture holding. Some naturals do an oil rinse in the shower which sounds like an amazing technique, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Let us know how everything works.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Naptural85 always has great stuff on her channel and she's in the upper type 4 range.
    If it's breakage, it might not be hormonal because with my experience, shedding tends to be hormonal and breakage tends to be lack of moisture. For one, I do recommend cutting back on the combing and try finger detangling until you figure out how to regain strength in her hair. (Confession: I've actually stopped combing my hair because the breakage was killing my progress and breakage barely exists for me now.)

Do a protein treatment (like an egg or mayo or something) and from there do regular moisturizing deep conditioning treatments (Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle saved my hair life, but I don't leave it in for 3 minutes at all lol, it's more like 1 hr for my 4c hair and sounds like maybe your daughters hair could benefit from a longer time as well.) And my hair didn't hold moisture at all either. Seal with shea butter or castor oil for maximum moisture holding. Some naturals do an oil rinse in the shower which sounds like an amazing technique, but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Let us know how everything works.

Thanx so much for all the tips. I will definitely try implementing some of these. like the deep conditioning and sealing with Shea. Her hair is really thick I dont know how Im gonna get my fingers through it.lol. But I will see how everything goes.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to get your fingers through it? :huh:

This is my type of hair and it grows best when left alone. Minimal brushing, minimal combing. I have dreadlocks now but even when I didn't I still had long hair. Because I didn't stress it much.
  • b4chuck
    b4chuck Posts: 8
    Options
    I have 4a/b hair and it is a nightmare to keep it moisturize and tamed. I have been following Naptural85s guidance and have given up on KimmayTube for my own personal reasons. I think you should definitely take the advice of the mayo and deep conditioner treatment. Just try to teach her to do it for herself to encourage her to take more care of her own hair. I think that would benefit her in the long run. You are being a great mom for keeping track of her hair breakage because my girls that age are so rough with their hair....

Hope you found a solution.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Why do you need to get your fingers through it? :huh:

This is my type of hair and it grows best when left alone. Minimal brushing, minimal combing. I have dreadlocks now but even when I didn't I still had long hair. Because I didn't stress it much.

One of the posters suggested I get finger detangle my daughters hair.
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey I know I'm a little late but I have this type of hair so I wanted to help.

Detangling:

Combs are to be used sparingly and brushes are never to be used. When they say finger detangle, it doesn't really mean start running your fingers through your hair (thats what I first thought and it lead to sooooo much breakage). Finger detangling is a very in depth process for this hair type. First you section it into small pieces (the longer your hair the smaller the sections). Then you take each section spray it with a little water (do NOT drench) and smooth some conditioner or oil on it. Keep gently running it down the length of the hair. You will fill it begin to straighten out a bit and the curls will start separating on their own. Then you separate each curl from the section and gently detangle the section that way. Then use a wide tooth comb to comb through one last time. Then you twist the section back up.
    Here is a good video for this process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3OcMZWI5cc

Products:
    I am not sure what products you use on your daughter's hair but I use Shea Moisture products. They are amazing for moisture retention. It uses all natural ingredients and is sulfate free. You can get them at Target, Wall-Mart, or Walgreen's. There are four main product lines. I use the Pink label shampoo, styling milk, and moisture mist; the tan conditioner; and the black deep conditioner. The moisture mist is good for daily moisturizing, just spray a bit of water then follow it up with a bit of the moisture mist. Also, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil are another staple for me. I detangle with them and add them and honey to my deep conditioner.

I hope this helps! ^_^
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Also, Protein treatments are necessary! I use the LeKair Cholesterol Plus treatment once a week or every two weeks (I'm not sure if its the best thing to do, its not "all natural" or anything but I have been using it since I was little and haven't seen any adverse effects).

So a wash day would be:
    1. Detangle
    2. wash (sometimes followed by an AVC rinse)
    3. Rinse-out Condition
    4. Protein treatment
    5. Deep Condition (for about 15-30min)
    6. Leave-In (Shea Moisture Styling Milk + Shea Butter mix)

PS: Naptural85 is so awesome!!! ^_^
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Also, Protein treatments are necessary! I use the LeKair Cholesterol Plus treatment once a week or every two weeks (I'm not sure if its the best thing to do, its not "all natural" or anything but I have been using it since I was little and haven't seen any adverse effects).

So a wash day would be:
    1. Detangle
    2. wash (sometimes followed by an AVC rinse)
    3. Rinse-out Condition
    4. Protein treatment
    5. Deep Condition (for about 15-30min)
    6. Leave-In (Shea Moisture Styling Milk + Shea Butter mix)

PS: Naptural85 is so awesome!!! ^_^

Thank you so much for those great tips!! :happy:
  • SalubriousGyrl
    SalubriousGyrl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    get tips ladies! My daughter is also natural, however i use alot of water, oil, and even care free curls products to reduce her dryness. Moisturize and seal is a great technique to use daily. I even use care free instant moisterizer on my hair since i am relaxed by once i go beyond 10 weeks post, it helps with the dryness. Find what will be helpful for her.
  • beequipped
    beequipped Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A great way to hold in moisture is to use the LOC method. Liquid = water or some other leave in spray, O= oil, I use evoo, C=cream , I use cantu shea butter mixture. My daughter's hair is more porus than mine. She love the coconut oil for her hair. We only comb our hair when it is wet, preferably when we are in the shower. The steam helps you comb out without losing hair. I suggest that you pre-condition as well. You can google how to do that. I wish you well.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    A great way to hold in moisture is to use the LOC method. Liquid = water or some other leave in spray, O= oil, I use evoo, C=cream , I use cantu shea butter mixture. My daughter's hair is more porus than mine. She love the coconut oil for her hair. We only comb our hair when it is wet, preferably when we are in the shower. The steam helps you comb out without losing hair. I suggest that you pre-condition as well. You can google how to do that. I wish you well.

Thanx so much for the reply!!! We have been working on perfecting our products for the LOC method these last few months. I think we are finally starting to see some progress :-)