Help me - bike choice

Options
goonas
goonas Posts: 205
I currently have a full carbon Marin Highway one Hybrid bike - love it to pieces but I am seriously thinking of going for a carbon full on road bike.

So, open to the floor if you had say up to £3,000 to spend on a bike (would prefer to keep the cost to £2,500 but will go to £3,000 if the benefit is there) - what would be your choice and why?

There are so many brands and models out there that its really hard to just narrow the selection down to say 10 to go and do more research on - so I am appealing for help from the masses.

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The problem is, there's just too much choice at that price-point :laugh:

I hired a Giant TCR Composite 1 'Ultegra' on holiday in Fuertaventura over Christmas & loved it. They are 'only' £1900!

TBY's Dolan Tuono is a glorious bike too; you can get one with Shimano Dura-Ace kit on 'em for £2500!

It's also worth looking around for some heavily discounted 2012 'exclusive' kit that will be in your price-range now too :bigsmile:

Just wish I had £2500/£3000 to spend on a bike :sad:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Enjoy searching!
  • goonas
    Options
    I couldn't believe the sheer choice, hence wanting some ideas on where to start lol.

Thanks for the first two to look at. I am of course not adverse to spending less :)
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I am of course not adverse to spending less :)

Neither am I; I am from Yorkshire after all :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Tuono SL with SRAM Red - £2000, and lighter than the Dura-Ace option... tested in last months CyclingPlus

http://dolan-bikes.com/blog/cycling-plus-tuono-sl-road-tested-the-winner/

though I'd personally throw an extra £5-600 at the wheelset, as the rest of the kit really deserves something light to go with it.

Rides great, I have to say - and despite being apparently a climbing machine, it's still as comfortable as anything i've ridden since the era of skinny 531db tubes and taper gauge forks (so, pretty much back to 1980 then...)
  • goonas
    Options
    Thanks TBY that looks like a good one to start reading up on.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I like SRAM :wink:

Especially SRAM Red! :love:
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Across the pond at the Herman Family we're partial to Trek & Specialized, with a 6 Series Madone, a Tarmac SL4 and a few Roubaix's. For the money right now, Specialized is offering quite a value with the Tarmac SL4 (a very light & fast bike) with Ultegra electronic shifting for $4,100 US. They also offer a mid & regular compact SL4 with SRAM Force for even less. I would take a serious look at those.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I like SRAM :wink:

Especially SRAM Red! :love:

I just don't get on with it myself, and ended up going for a full Ultegra Build on mine, purchasing the frame, forks, seatpin, clamp and headset as a bundle from Terry, then sourcing the other bits and bobs from wherever had deals on over the winter - still came in as a sub 7.5kg build (complete with pedals, 25mm tyres, garmin mount, GSC10 and bottle cages)

8800784180_3994da83f4_z.jpg

(edit: excuse the grotty backdrop and awful net curtains at my mates workshop/spare room!)
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Raleigh Bikes?

I bought a 2012 Raleigh Sojourn for Commuting/Touring and I'll tell you that Raleigh really provided a great deal for the price.

Since I plan to do long distance riding rather than crits, this Revenio line from Raleigh is where I'd look.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/03/28/just-in-raleighs-relaxed-revenio-4-0-carbon-endurance-road-bike/

Of course my price point would be the Revenio 2.0 with Shimano 105 rather than the 4.0. However I did just enter for a chance to win a Raleigh 4.0
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/05/22/win-a-raleigh-revenio-road-bike-all-expenses-paid-trip-to-dealercamp/
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with my Cube GTC Race and my son is even happier with his Cube Litening...both carbon and full Ultegra with good wheels.
    I was surprised that his Litening also came with carbon post and excellent Syntace carbon bars
    Althought the Litening is advertised as more "racy" than the Agree its just as comfy and a kg less at 7.2kg.

The Agree was £1700 with good Ultega pedals and the Liteming was £1600 without. Worth checking out Cube IMHO.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Consider a "last year's model" or a demo bike from one of the larger shops if you are looking for the best deal. Also, I would say go with the step down from the best component group (SRAM FORCE or Shimano Ultegra). 105s and Rivals are good component groups but if you get really serious you will be drawn to at least Force or Ultegra and always be looking at the bikes with the top of the line groups (Red and Dura Ace).

Note: I did not include Campy groups since they are not compatible and are far more pricey for what you get. They are easier to repair from what I have been told but they seem to run about 30% more at the cash register. SRAM tends to cost less that Shimano at each group level but not so much that I would discount Shimano and I tend to like Shimano cranksets more than I like SRAM. Also, I have heard that RIval compare closer to Ultegra when it comes to weight but I favor Shimano for shifting and crank stiffness has more than SRAM.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Consider a "last year's model" or a demo bike from one of the larger shops if you are looking for the best deal. Also, I would say go with the step down from the best component group (SRAM FORCE or Shimano Ultegra). 105s and Rivals are good component groups but if you get really serious you will be drawn to at least Force or Ultegra and always be looking at the bikes with the top of the line groups (Red and Dura Ace).

Note: I did not include Campy groups since they are not compatible and are far more pricey for what you get. They are easier to repair from what I have been told but they seem to run about 30% more at the cash register. SRAM tends to cost less that Shimano at each group level but not so much that I would discount Shimano and I tend to like Shimano cranksets more than I like SRAM. Also, I have heard that RIval compare closer to Ultegra when it comes to weight but I favor Shimano for shifting and crank stiffness has more than SRAM.

Definitley take a look at what's still available in the 2012 models usually the only difference year to year is the colour and graphics..
    I saved £1800 when I bought my scott foil 15 with full Ultegra Di2 against the current 2013 model. (well within your budget btw)
    The only difference? the 2012 had a better wheel set and was Silver

8d8667f9-5661-4fa7-a308-b8f2fabf92ef.jpg
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    money means nothing when it comes to that,, get what you truly want.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Felt F2 would be my personal choice, wait until the new models come out and some serious reductions can be found to bring this beauty into your budget.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f2-red-2013/
  • goonas
    Options
    Anyone have experience of this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=104500

Giant TCR Advanced SL 3 - Compact 2012

The 2013 is around £4-£5kk ish, but looking at the 2012 models that are still around this is around £2,700
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I bought a Giant TCR Composite 1 a few weeks ago, I love it. It has Ultegra components and it felt like I wasn't paying for the name like the Trek.
  • TheBigYin
    Options

The 2013 is around £4-£5kk ish, but looking at the 2012 models that are still around this is around £2,700

My only misgving is the integrated seatmast - makes getting seat height correct a scary thing - I know there's probably a bit of give/take with the seat-mast topper, but nowhere near as much as a normal seatpin. Also, if you're bagging the bike up for a continental trip, it can be difficult to fit in certain bike cases...
  • goonas
    Options

My only misgving is the integrated seatmast - makes getting seat height correct a scary thing - I know there's probably a bit of give/take with the seat-mast topper, but nowhere near as much as a normal seatpin. Also, if you're bagging the bike up for a continental trip, it can be difficult to fit in certain bike cases...

See, this is the reason I am asking here - those are things I hadn't thought of !!
    Thank you :)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Easy solution: Buy two bikes at $1,000 and send one to me, just in case one breaks. And I'll be sure to keep it in working order for you too. No charge!
  • goonas
    Options
    This is still under major consideration.

Been looking at De Rosa bikes now - this one looks pretty good and has some nice components : http://www.i-ride.co.uk/Merak-Evolution-with-Fulcrum-Racing-3-Wheels.aspx

Anyone have any experience?