Treating Group B Strep naturally?

Options
Rubyayn
Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
Has anyone else here had it show up the urine in early pregnancy? It popped up on my first urinalysis at 8 weeks and again at 16 weeks, though my levels have not increased at all. I am asymptomatic and have declined antiobiotics during pregnancy, though I will likley do them in labor if I cannot get rid of it naturally by then.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced success with garlic therapy or other natural alternatives? I am doing Apple cider vinegar, vitamin C and probiotics now. As an extra plus, I am feeling a million times better since I started the probiotics just in general, so that is nice.

I do not do well with antiobiotics at ALL and I am apt to avoid them if at all possible. I am also dealthy allergic to penicillin, which is currently the ONLY antibiotic some strains of group b strep have not become immune to, so my baby is at a slightly increased risk. Of course, antibiotics have thier own set of risks involved, so I am hoping to kick it without using them at all. Shockingly, the doc wanted to treat me with clindamycin at 8 weeks and AGAIN every time I test positive in the urine. That could have potentially put me at being on antibiotics my entire pregnancy! The research I did showed that could increase my risk of forming a resistant strain and my levels just aren't high enough to justify antibiotics, imo.

I suppose I am just looking for stories, research and experiences, if anyone has any. :)

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had it show up early on in my urine, so they consider me a "carrier." The only upside is that I didn't have to be tested at 36 weeks, I guess. I was GBS+ with my last pregnancy, too, after the typical test, but during neither pregnancy was I given antibiotics. I only got them during delivery. I didn't try any alternative therapies, but someone on here said their midwife told them that a positive/negative result is only good for about 5 weeks, so if you test positive farther than 5 weeks out from delivery, you should ask to be re-tested. I don't have anything backing that up, but it might be worth looking into.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm GBS+ and here are the recommendations from my midwife for colonization starting at 32 weeks. Not sure if it applies to you......

-Probiotics
    -Echinacea
    -Vitamin C
    - Garlic
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I just ordered some garlic supplements and will be using fresh organic garlic in most of our meals. I also plan on doing echinacea for a couple weeks prior to my due date. A plus out of all of this is I came to realize how AWESOME probiotics are. All my tummy issues were gone in a flash, so that was nice.

My plan is to test my urine monthly, just to make sure my counts do not go over 100k, which is when they recommend treatment to prevent pre-term labor (per ACOG and the Canadian equivilant). Mine are currently at 10-50k, so they are pretty low in the urine and I feel comfortable not treating. I also plan to do the swab test and am hoping I can test negative for that. If I do I will choose to forgo the antiobiotics in labor since I respond so poorly to them anyway.

It really bothers me that they were insistant that I do a course of antibiotics anytime it shows in the urine. Antibiotics can be dangerous, too and I really believe that over prescribing like that is why we have so many super bugs. I really shouldn't have to scour the internet for valid information, read study after study and email ACOG to figure out my levels were too low to warrent abx in pregnancy anyway. **rant over**
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was GBS+ with my first, but didn't receive antibiotics until I went into labor.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I was GBS+ with my first, but didn't receive antibiotics until I went into labor.

You were probably positive on the swab test, right? Mine showed in the urine in early pregnancy, which means I am a heavy colonizer and am at an increased risk. It is up to the OB and thier personal philosophy on if they give you meds while pregnant or not. The US does not have an "official" policy on treating asymptomatic GBS in pregnancy, but a lot of the other do and the research shows that GBS usually comes right back after treatment anyway, which is why antibiotics in labor make the most sense.
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was positive on the swab test. With my second I didn't test positive.

I understand your reluctance to start antibiotics now. I wouldn't want to either.
  • nyssaretter
    nyssaretter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had GBS in a urine culture at 8 weeks. I did take the antibiotics because I was having symptoms (fevers and chills, back pain, very frequent urination) but in general, I try to avoid antibiotics as much as possible, too.
    I think everyone else covered the treatment pretty well. There is a homeopathic remedy that is extremely expensive. I wish I could remember the website that carries it.
    Another thing to keep in mind. Your doctor should NOT attempt to strip your membranes to get labor going, or break your bag of waters to speed labor up. Those two things can increase your baby's exposure. Keep taking vitamin C, it makes the amniotic sac stronger! My last baby was born "in the caul" (my membranes were intact when she came out) which is just really cool, and also made her risk of contracting GBS a little lower.
    You can also try a hibiclens wash every 4 hours while in labor. The only problem with that is, no antibiotics get to the baby through the placenta, and if you have gbs systemically (as would be indicated by gbs in your urine), the baby can still get it.
    I have my next gbs swab in a couple of weeks. Hoping to be negative so I don't have to deal with the worry again.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I had GBS in a urine culture at 8 weeks. I did take the antibiotics because I was having symptoms (fevers and chills, back pain, very frequent urination) but in general, I try to avoid antibiotics as much as possible, too.
    I think everyone else covered the treatment pretty well. There is a homeopathic remedy that is extremely expensive. I wish I could remember the website that carries it.
    Another thing to keep in mind. Your doctor should NOT attempt to strip your membranes to get labor going, or break your bag of waters to speed labor up. Those two things can increase your baby's exposure. Keep taking vitamin C, it makes the amniotic sac stronger! My last baby was born "in the caul" (my membranes were intact when she came out) which is just really cool, and also made her risk of contracting GBS a little lower.
    You can also try a hibiclens wash every 4 hours while in labor. The only problem with that is, no antibiotics get to the baby through the placenta, and if you have gbs systemically (as would be indicated by gbs in your urine), the baby can still get it.
    I have my next gbs swab in a couple of weeks. Hoping to be negative so I don't have to deal with the worry again.

I hope you test negative, too! I was negative my last pregnany and was blindsided by the diagnoses this time and it is very stressful!!

I am hoping the garlic works it's magic. I have another urinalysis on Thursday, so we will see. My ultimate goal is to avoid antibiotics in labor, but I am not sure I will be able to get rid of it completely by then. :)