wine/drinking

Options
JaynaErickson
JaynaErickson Posts: 23 Member
Any one drinking? I'm on my third glass of wine. Thought it would be nice to relax with my hubby n watch a movie. Ive herd we would b bombed at a couple sips. Instead I'm just bored. Not that I wanna b a lush but why is this such a nono? I get that theeres no protein but this don't seem so bad. Why wait a year to drink? Has anyone tried drinking yet?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I waited until I had lost most of the weight. Alcohol is a lot of empty calories. I didn't want to derail my weight loss.

After that, I did get bombed much faster and then I got sober much faster. It took all the fun out of it. But after a while I went back to my old normal. Or close to it. Because I weigh a lot less, my normal has adjusted to that.

Another reason to avoid alcohol is that, for some people, they get a transfer addiction. That wasn't a big problem for me. I didn't really like alcohol pre-op and that didn't change post-op. But I was aware of it and watching for it.
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a few beers every now and then, I do seem to get buzzed faster so I'm a cheaper date !!!!!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oooooh - watch the carbonation in beer...not good for the sleeve!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    But yes, a few glasses of wine has tasted good once in awhile! Just on weekends. Had gin once but phew! Did that hit me hard and fast.
  • phatdivabbw
    phatdivabbw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had my first drink at 3mth. I promised my NUT I wouldn't overdo it. I'm 1 year post-op and have been drinking since. I don't think I get tipsy/drunk quick. My NUT suggested I stick to vodka, rum, tequila etc; instead of wine because it has less calories. I also save calories by bringing my own mixers. Usually Crystal light. I drink socially on special occasions only. Pre-surgery I would have a drink after work but I don't do that anymore.

I was afraid to do shots for fear it would hurt my sleeve. I did my first shot last month and I was okay. LOL

I haven't heard about carbonation being bad for your sleeve. My guess is if you are newly sleeved it could impeded the healing process. My Doc said the sleeve is healed at 6-7 mths.