Christianity and Government

Options
2»

Replies

• wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What I mean by universal is, we can all agree that it is universally good for society to ban somehting like murder. It's not because of a religious ideal that only a subset of citizens subscribe to, it's a universal morality that benefits all members.

Not true. Some people believe it's for the good of society to murder certain people.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    While my adopted children love me with all their hearts, they still have a natural bond and desire to know their biological mother.

This isn't true of all adopted children.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is the government's place to decide what works and what does not work in a family as long as no laws are being broken.

Well, I happen to believe that it is a responsibility of the government to make decisions based on what's best for society. Not based on opinions, but based on statistics and facts. Are you okay with the government making it a law that parents pay child support? Are you okay with the government making it a law that children have to attend school up until age 16? Are you okay with the government making it illegal for children to marry and work?

Who decides what is best for society? Be careful... Your answer will tell me a lot ;)
  • wineplease
    Options
    Who decides what is best for society? Be careful... Your answer will tell me a lot ;)

I've already said I don't think this should be based on one person's religion or opinion.
  • wineplease
    Options
    Well, I happen to believe that it is a responsibility of the government to make decisions based on what's best for society. Not based on opinions, but based on statistics and facts. Are you okay with the government making it a law that parents pay child support? Are you okay with the government making it a law that children have to attend school up until age 16? Are you okay with the government making it illegal for children to marry and work?

Your decision to answer my questions with a question while not answering them tells me a lot, too. :wink:
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    So "religion has no place in marriage" and "children have nothing to do with marriage" Are these serious comments?

Of course they are serious. I'm speaking legally and generally though not with regards to any one person's specific situation. If religion has a place in marriage then the government cannot only say that gay marriage is illegal but that Muslims, atheists, Jews, etc can't marry. If children have something to do with marriage from a legal standpoint then the government can say that infertile people, those who don't want kids, etc can't get married. If you want your marriage to be based in religion and for the benefit of any children that's great. But you don't get to tell everyone that their marriage has to have those same things.