Bed time routine

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
I was wondering what kind of routine you guys had for your babies. I currenlty just change his diaper, put in jammies, eat, then bed. But I'm thinking soon I need to encorporate something else into this, so when the bottle/boob goes away he will know it's bed. He also most of the time naps after eating. Are we creating a bad habit? He is 6 months old so I'm not too worried about it yet just want to start thinking about it. I just figured if we did something else at night we could eventually take away the eating right before bed. He currently sleeps great so I don't want that to change!

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good topic......My daughter usually falls asleep on the boob....May need to change this habit as well
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    We do: bath, jammies (and crawl around if he has too much energy), brush teeth, nurse, sleep.

Which makes no sense because why would you brush your teeth and then eat?

Eventually I think we'll replace the bedtime nursing session with a story. I figure the whole bath, jammies, lights out thing is enough to cue him that it's nighttime. Plus he's a tired little dude at that point and is ready to sleep.

I hadn't thought about what to do when we drop the nighttime feed! But I guess it's still pretty far away. Ahhhhhh!
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I generally keep Jovie awake after she eats, that way she's not dependent on the boob to sleep, lol. SO after her last feed of the night, I keep her up a bit and change her diaper. Then when she seems to be getting sleepy, we put her in bed while she's still awake. We sing her a lullaby, pray for her and then let her fall asleep on her own. It's worked for us so far!! :)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Our routine is bath (if it's bath night), change into pjs, nurse (she always dozes off but wakes when I move her), give her vitamin D, change diaper, then I hand her off to DH who *tries* to read her a book (she usually just wants to grab and eat it), then he snuggles with her for a few minutes and puts her in her crib while she's still awake. Depending on how tired she is she will either pop her thumb in her mouth and fall asleep right away, or she'll wiggle around, and whack her FP aquarium on and off for a while. DH used to snuggle/rock her to sleep, but I asked him to stop because during the day I was always having to do it for her naps, and it was a LOOOONG process some days. She goes down for a nap much better now that the nighttime rocking to sleep has been cut out!

We need to start incorporating teeth brushing, she's sprouted her first two over the past few weeks!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Our routine is bath (if it's bath night), change into pjs, nurse (she always dozes off but wakes when I move her), give her vitamin D, change diaper, then I hand her off to DH who *tries* to read her a book (she usually just wants to grab and eat it), then he snuggles with her for a few minutes and puts her in her crib while she's still awake. Depending on how tired she is she will either pop her thumb in her mouth and fall asleep right away, or she'll wiggle around, and whack her FP aquarium on and off for a while. DH used to snuggle/rock her to sleep, but I asked him to stop because during the day I was always having to do it for her naps, and it was a LOOOONG process some days. She goes down for a nap much better now that the nighttime rocking to sleep has been cut out!

We need to start incorporating teeth brushing, she's sprouted her first two over the past few weeks!

haha, Miles tries to eat his books too...makes it hard to read! Thanks ladies. In the next few months I might try eating as not being the last thing before bed. even after he eats he is often still awake and will "talk" to his mobile or make his dinosaur screams, but almost always falls asleep on his own.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Jordan seems to fall asleep at the same time every night. I give her a bath, change her diaper and then give her the cereal bottle. Then I have to keep her upright because of reflux for at least 30 minutes so she doesn't spit up. During this I rock her and sing her a song ( I can't sing) so my husband or son usually make fun of me. She usually falls asleep on my shoulder when this is done. I haven't started teeth brushing yet, but will in the next few months.
  • Samak118
    Samak118 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ours is Dinner between 6:30-p and 7p. Bath and PJ's between 7p and 7:30p. Extra play time, Story time or Doc McStuffins (Depending on how she feels) from 7p to 745p. Wind down between 7;45p-8p. Last bottle at 8p to fall asleep. She's 10 months and JUST started STTN so sometimes its smooth and sometimes its chaos.
  • sunnydayz71
    sunnydayz71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My son is 5 months old and we don't do much of anything. Usually he falls asleep in my arms after his last feeding then I put him in the crib. However, this week I've been thinking that this might be a bad habit so 3 nights ago I decided to feed him a bit earlier so he doesn't fall asleep, then get his pj's on, change diaper and then we just hang in the living room. Once I see him rubbing his eyes, I put him to bed. He cries for about 5 minutes and then he's out. (not a hard cry, just a little above whimpering). And also I turn on the baby einstein thing... I don't know what its called... looks like a little toy tv that hangs on the rail. It lights up randomly and plays outdoor sounds like crickets. The soft lights make me think of fireflies. Anyhow, he likes it. When he gets bigger we'll add reading. He just popped out two bottom teeth recently, so teeth brushing will be coming soon :-)
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My daugher is almost 12 mos (on 6/15) and we have run into a sleeping hitch. My once great sleeper is no longer... going on over a month now. Our routine was always bath (every other night) lay down in our bed to snuggle and nurse then into the crib.... worked like a charm, now not so much. I've started reading her a story in our rocking chair just before I put her in the crib, and it helps... but she's not sleeping through the night. I was attributing this to teething (just got her 2 top teeth), then sickness, and maybe growth spurt... but I'm running out of reasons and starting to just think this is the new routine and sleep training is coming... especially since I was hoping to have her weaned off nursing shortly after her 1st b-day.
    Sorry... not so helpful! But I guess my main point is that routines will change with your child's phases... so flexibility is important! As far as nursing before bed being a bad habit... I've heard that, but with my son (now 3.5) it was never an issue... and his teeth are fine as well. Guess it just depends on the kid.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Jodi - DH did that with Jaxon for his naps a couple times and I asked him not to make a habit of it!! He goes down so well on his own and I don't want him dependent on that lol

When my hubs leaves for work at 7:30 we go outside for a little while, if it's bath night we take a bath, at about 8 I feed him baby food/cereal then have a little play time and right before 9 we do jammies (if they're not already on) diaper, botle, then bed by 9. He usually doesn't eat but a couple ounces right before bed since he eats baby food not long before he goes down so i think that will be easy to cut out. Oh and we'll have to start brushing teeth soon since 2 have just broke through. :)