Juice fast Monday, May 20th

Options
Golightly17
Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
Hello!

I am starting 10 day juice fast on Monday, May 20th. I have been incorporating fresh juices but have never done a fast for that duration of time. Having been out of town and not making the best choices, I am ready to commit to a reboot. I would love it if anyone might have any helpful tips, is starting a fast or in one themselves or wants to join in. I plan on posting my experiences as I go. Anyway, thanks in advance and all the best in your own journeys!

Replies

• primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I am new to juicing and just purchased my first machine today.
    I am started intermittent fasting to help get ready for a 10-60 day juice fast, which I hope to start in a week.
    I look forward to reading your post on your experience.
    You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • JLauterb25
    JLauterb25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of a 14 day juice fast. I would love to join in. I went raw vegan back in February and feel amazing. Since I am leaving for vacation in two weeks, I thought it was the perfect time to cleanse and lose a few extra pounds.

Good luck!
  • curvycarrie
    curvycarrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hi Golightly, today is day 29 of my 60 day juice fast...as of this mornig i have lost 33 lbs and feel great! I started to really feel the benefits and my energy levels went up around the 2 week mark. After this journey is completed, I plan to eat clean. I have been doing some reading up on this. Its hard to beleive that tomorrow i will be half way done ...its all down hill..or possibly up hill after that lol ..feel free to add me if you would like :smile:
  • jamierussell929
    jamierussell929 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Golightly, congratulations on starting a juice fast. Today is day 52 for me and I am down 47.4 pounds. I completely agree with curvycarrie..it takes time to feel fantastic, so don't give up. Stay the course and if you have any problems feel free to add me. My struggle was that I still cook for a husband and daughter every day but after 52 days I know I have the will power and desire to get through anything!!

also, Curvycarrie...congrats on hitting your half way mark!!! That's awesome :-)
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! It's so great to begin day 1 having people who are inspiring or in the same boat! I am excited and ready to get started. I'll probably update tonight. In the past, nighttime has proven a little trying for me- i think its mostly psychological though. Any first day/ first couple of day tips?
  • jamierussell929
    Options
    I'm not sure of the juice gods condone this or not, but its worked fantastic for me. I make homemade veggie broth with lots of herbs and spice. I use onions, carrots, celery, leeks, hot peppers, lemon. Anything I can get my hands on. Its delicious and keeps me full when I drink a hot cup of it. I don't know how other people feel about hot broth, but I love it. Just remember..no salt!
  • Golightly17
    Options
    That sounds great! Did you juice the veggies and then warm them to make the broth?
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Day 1 complete! It wasn't too bad. My energy levels and hunger came in waves. I drank juice when hungry or to get a burst of energy. Flavored mineral water was filling as well. I noticed that I wouldn't be inclined to make juice and go through all of the cleanup unless I was actually hungry- I am hoping this will translate into some new habits post fast.

I ended up experimenting with a broth of sorts as was suggested. I juiced 3 smallish carrots, 3 tomatoes, parsley, and a red bell pepper. Then, I warmed the concoction on the stove for about 5-7 minutes while adding garlic and herb seasoning to taste. I must say it turned out alright. It was filling and what I needed for a rainy day. Another new favorite is kale, cucumber, parsley and a handful of strawberries.

I guess that's about it. Hope everyone is doing well getting their juice on :)
  • jamierussell929
    Options
    I think the way you did the broth was great. I do boil mine with all the veggies in it, then strain. Just like I would a chicken or beef broth. I think either way works fine. It's just something for me that helps with the cravings and also makes me feel really full.

Congrats on making it through your first day!!! Its definitely a challenge and i'm so happy that you were able to get through it.
  • Golightly17
    Options
    2 days down and into my third woot woot! Not sure if anyone will read this, but I'm kind of a voyeur to hear about other's juicing experiences and updating publicly keeps me honest. Anyway, super high energy yesterday- jogged 3 miles, walked the dogs, stayed busy. Today...not so much, kind of blah- didn't sleep well. That said, I have been enjoying my juice or juice broth concoctions.

Some new combos I liked:
    Pineapple, yellow pepper, kale, cucumber
    Broth- red pepper, 2 green onion stalks, 2-3 celery stocks, 2 carrots, parsley, 2 tomatoes, baby broccoli bundle and then muchi curry seasoning, garlic powder, and (I know this is a cheat) a bit of pink salt. I've been letting it simmer on the stove while I clean up- probably about 10 minutes max.
  • KKdesign82
    KKdesign82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing and absorbing all the reading I can.
    I love my juicer and so far have been juicing for breakfast and a snack. I've cut out all wheat and dairy products to prepare for a reboot. Im eating lean protein at lunch and a little a dinner but other than that I've been juicing and eating raw.
    Looking forward to reading more about your journey!
    I am planning on starting a 15 day detox on the Tuesday after Memorial Day. We have a very busy weekend and I fear I would only be setting myself up for failure if I were to start tomorrow as I had originally wanted to. If the first 15 days goes well I'll keep it going for 30 days if possible.

Keep us updated on your progress!!

Katie
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Day 5! I am halfway through- though I may extend my fast. I feel great so far. Day 4 was the first day that I really thought I could do this. My hunger and energy levels stabilized, I was able to work out and finally get a good night sleep. I have noticed that this fast has made me calmer and less the somewhat anxious, high strung person that I normally am. Maybe it is the juicing or the magnesium from the coconut water I'm obsessed with, but it's a pleasant side effect. My skin is glowy and my eyes have gotten really clear and white. I am also down 4.2 lbs as of yesterday!! Some things that have gotten me through to this point are:
    -homemade juice broth for dinner, admittedly this may be a cheat and doubly so because I do use a food processor to add fresh ground herbs and garlic
    - having the materials and ability to juice whenever hunger, cravings, or temptations struck
    - lemon with mineral water, great alkalizer but also good for moving the digestion and hunger; especially for sweet things
    - giving myself a break on the cardio in the sense that if I have the energy to work out then great, if not just rest and focus on healing. This has mentally helped me to get out of my rut and made running or whatever else something to look forward to rather than a forced action.
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Hey Katie! Sounds like you're getting we'll prepared for your fast. You're wise to ditch the wheat. I saw this study that measured the insulin responses in people if they had been given bread or a candy bar. Bread had 2-4 times the effect on insulin. For me it's a kryptonite that sends my blood sugar on a roller coaster- hard to deal with the after effects if you are beginning a cleanse. Anyways, that's my rant of the day :) Best of luck with your detox!
  • KKdesign82
    KKdesign82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am actually looking forward to starting the detox. I've been doing a lot of research!