EMDR

KirstenMarie18
KirstenMarie18 Posts: 35 Member
My therapist suggested we start EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing) my next therapy session. It is used to help people work through PTSD or trauma they've experienced in their lives. Has anyone experienced one of these sessions? If so, what was it like? Did you feel like it helped you work through some stuff?

thanks!!

Replies

• KirstenMarie18
    No one :(
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    I started EMDR but didnt do enough sessions to say if it helped or not, sorry. My therapist tended to use the tapping technique rather than me follow her fingers with my eyes, as i was more comfortable looking down at my knees. I tended to be able to focus more the faster she moved her fingers.
  • KirstenMarie18
    I started EMDR but didnt do enough sessions to say if it helped or not, sorry. My therapist tended to use the tapping technique rather than me follow her fingers with my eyes, as i was more comfortable looking down at my knees. I tended to be able to focus more the faster she moved her fingers.

Thanks for replying! I have a feeling I'll need my therapist to use a different technique than moving her fingers back and forth.. I have trouble concentrating at times. Did she say how many sessions you would need or does it differ from person to person?
  • yrollam1013
    yrollam1013 Posts: 41 Member
    I've never experienced it but they used that where I went to for residential treatment and know it really helped the girls who did it in my lodge. I hope that you find it helpful.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    I've not heard of it before, but I'm at the point where I'll try anything to help me get better. I hope it helps you. Keep us posted.
  • KirstenMarie18
    I will keep you updated!
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    I went through it for a while. it helped me greatly with my anxiety!!!
  • KirstenMarie18
    I've been through a few sessions now and it has helped a ton!!
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Kirtsen!! I think the tapping I told you about is EFT not EMDR !! Apologies!!

And so so glad the EMDR is helping!!

charlie x