Beginning P90X

Options
So. My entire life I was a complete chunker. Except for a while when I was in high school and I was only eating like 300 cal/day. once I started eating again I blew up like a hot air balloon.
I am now starting the P90X program and I was wondering if anyone else here has started this program while being completely out of shape. Like cant even do a single push-up out of shape? I just want to know if it is possible. The first day resulted in me throwing up and falling on my face..... twice.

Replies

• dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It is possible.. If you believe it is possible. I started out my journey with Insanity and I was the same way, completely out of shape. I was well into the second week before I could even get through the warm up without taking breaks. 10 months later, I've completed Insanity, an Insanity/Les Mills Pump hybrid, Les Mills Combat and I'm 60 days into Body Beast. I've got Focus T25 and P90X on the schedule for this Summer and Fall. So, as you can see, it is possible. However, you have to believe you can do it and you have to make yourself do it. Modify the moves when you need to. And, above all, know that you are not looking for perfection when doing these routines, you are looking for progress each day/week. Even a tiny bit of progress, is progress. Good luck with it!!
    **Dale**
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I started P90X 30 pounds ago and was so out of shape. My knees hurt so bad I had to wear knee braces to make it through the workouts. I just did what Tony said. I pressed play everyday. Hit pause when I needed too. Modified Modified Modified. Every day it got a little better. I remember the first time I made it all the way through Plyo without having to hit pause. I almost cried. You can do it. Just believe in yourself. Also, no more knee braces. The better in shape I became all my pains went away. Good Luck!!!!! You can do it!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I could barely get through the 'Fit Test'. Me being really stubborn, I was determined to change, so I pushed through. I had a few setbacks and had to stop for a bit, but when I could, I jumped right back in. My knees really hurt when I did Plyo, but I started taking glucosamine with MSM, and it helped tremendously.

The results are so worth it, and even though right now it seems like writing down all your reps seems silly, you really do see your results, and that was a really great motivator.

You CAN do it!
  • DorfsSunshine
    DorfsSunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done with week 1 of p90x (I'm doing the lean program with the intention of doing the regular program next).

I couldn't do 1 push up correctly a week ago but now I can do a few. I didn't even bother doing the "fit test". I knew if I just tried and made modifications when necessary I would improve over time. One week in and I've already increased my weights and i'm not using my knees during push-ups.

You can do it! Although I suggest you hit pause a bit more. There is no reason to be making yourself vomit, all your doing is dehydrating yourself.
  • wmelendeze
    wmelendeze Posts: 2
    Options
    I'd start P90X with around 30lbs overweight, I didn't the fit test because I knew it was no way to pass it... First week was terrible, the third day I can barely move, but by the day 6 I start to feel really good.

The huge challenge was the pull-ups, I starting doing 8 - 12 with a chair, but in the second month I amazed my self when I try it without the chair, 10 reps!!! NO chair!!!

I did 2 rounds of P90X and I'm in the second month of P90X2, I lost 40lbs and I'm in the better shape of my life. Now I can do 35 pull-ups and 100 pushups.

You can do it! just keep pressing play, pause your self and eat clean.
  • mothib79
    mothib79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started P90X after doing ChaLEAN and Turbo Fire and still almost threw up when I first did Plyo.. Just do what you can and it will come!! You can do this!! :)
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Me & my better half start day 1 of P90X today! We did the fit test last night and both passed with flying colours...yay! Taking the measurements & photos was the worst bit for me - my BF is pretty buff already and looks good. Me, however, freaked when I found out my waist, hips, thighs & arms are bigger than his yet... pretty flabby!!! I look terrible in my photos. I never realised how out of shape I look so looking at my photos is going to be my motivation. I started a diet & exercising, Turbo Jams, a few weeks ago. I'm eating lots of healthy foods (which I've researched) of 1200 calories a day (since monitoring it I feel like I'm eating more that I used to, which is weird) and want to stick to that rather than following the nutrition calendar in the book despite what the dude says. Any thoughts on this...anyone? Plus I can't afford some of the items listed especially the supplements etc. which, to be honest, are difficult for me to get hold of where I live anyway. I think I will feel like all I am doing is eating as well! My boyfriend is going to use it as a guide as best he can. Just wanted to know - what is everyone else doing about their food intake? Are you sticking to the calendar/guide? Anybody reading this whose done the P90X...what was your experience with food?

Anyways....can't wait to get my super fit, sexy beach body. Sending waves of good luck out to you all x x x
  • ikerslake
    ikerslake Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm using MFP to make sure I eat the right number of calories ending up in the ratio 50 protein, 30 carbd, 20 fat. I think getting that ratio right within your calorie limit is the important thing. Having a full time job and working out over an hour a day is enough without whipping up various vegetable soups and sauces!!
  • wmelendeze
    Options
    Don't worry about the supplements, just focus on eat real food, a lot of vegetables and lean protein.

Try to track all that you eat and look all the info from the App (MyFitnesspal) or another good one like fooducate, that will help you to understand what really is good and what no so much, not always all the food you think is healthy really is.

For me, the ideal nutrition plan is eat only vegetables, fruits and lean meat, but remember, even more important that the 90 days is the life habits you create in the process.

Make sure you have enough fuel for your workouts even if that means eat more than 1200 calories, seriously this is really important, having a huge caloric deficit will make you feel really bad and stop the weigh lost.

Good luck and keep going, it's really an amazing journey. Just keep pressing play, and do your best and forget the rest ;)
  • Jshapiro89
    Options
    thanks guys. I got through 15 days of the P90x before dislocating my shoulder (due to a patient chucking me like a rag-doll). as soon as I am healed I will get back to it (untill then Its cardio at the gym and leg and ab workouts. I think that one of the hardest things for me right now is the CARBS. I am a Vegetarian and it seems like that is a pretty big part of my diet. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about ways to get enough intake while cutting them.
  • Gettinfit242
    Gettinfit242 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started P90X a couple months ago ,the first week was hell for me, i was completely out of shape!! and yes i couldnt make it through the entire videos, i would be POOPED OUT, but i would try my hardest and try not to stop.. and worked till i feel the burn! whoever thinks yoga is a joke (like i did) BAAHAHAHA go ahead and really try it! I fell about 5 times!! HAHAH.. i had to do girl push ups...i had to use the bands for a lot of things, i didnt have a pull up bar so i improvised! by week 6 i was doing real push ups, i was completing the videos, i could actually SEE definition in my arms!! i felt the best ive felt since i went through basic training back in 98!!!

i stopped due to taking a new job and moving.. but now that we are settled in , im gettign back on program!!! i did 8 week and lost 13 pounds and am in the smallest clothing size I've been since i was a TEENAGER!!!! crazy! what a great feeling and i cant wait to get more fit and lean!!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!
  • snapdoodle3
    snapdoodle3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi im just starting p90 im out of shape also.but ive done it before..im just going to do the best i can it will gradually get better..i do remember when i did it 10 yrs ago i was so sore i could barely move for 2 wks..but it was so worth it..how are you doing now?
  • alijune74
    alijune74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey there. You seem pretty knowledgeable in regard to nutrition. I'm just starting p90x (did it a few years ago) . I actually lost the nutrition guide which I just ordered but it won't be here for a few days. Any idea what I should be eating in phase 1? I am 5'2", 126 lbs., 25.6% body fat. Anxious to eat right...

Your help would be much appreciated...

Thanks!
    Ali
  • alijune74
    alijune74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey...I just started P90x after leaving the on the shelf for a few years. I had lost the nutrition pack but ordered a new one yesterday...however, it will about 3 days before it arrives. Any idea what the phase 1 eating should be? I do have the portion list but not how many portions. I am 5'2", 122, 25.6% body fat. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ALI
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey...I just started P90x after leaving the on the shelf for a few years. I had lost the nutrition pack but ordered a new one yesterday...however, it will about 3 days before it arrives. Any idea what the phase 1 eating should be? I do have the portion list but not how many portions. I am 5'2", 122, 25.6% body fat. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ALI

Hi Ali,

I am only in week 2 atm, but I am pretty much the same size (I'm 5'2" at 119 lb.). Currently, I am eating roughly 1400 -1500 calories, and it seems to be doing fine. The suggested caloric intake for me through P90X was 1800, and that put me in Nutrition Level I plan. --I just thought that was too much for me, since I'm still trying to shed fat. You probably have the book by now though.