Autistic family members

Options
mdcjmom
mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
Does anyone else have other family members that are autistic except your own? For example I have two sons on the spectrum and I just found out that my nephew has been diagnosed as well. I also have two brothers who I believe are also Asperger's. The only common denominator between these 5 people are my father. He is the grandfather to three of them and father to 2. For me this is further proof that it is hereditary...Anyone else?

Replies

• restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have wished there was some one else in my faimly just so they would understand. So far my DD is the only one on both sides of are family.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Nope, no one else is on the spectrum...no one on my husband's side or my side. It's only my daughter who is..even among the cousins.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My uncle also has ASD. He is currently working as a rheumatologist in Texas. Highly intelligent man.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi, My Daughter is 13 ys and has Mild Autism, my Sister also has a 7 ys Boy with Autism also... .?
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    On my husband's side there is at least one Aspy. You all know the drill - you suspect there's another but the family won't cop to it or is in denial. On my side, there's my oldest and then my brother's son. So we have it on both sides. I also have probably a half dozen friends with a child on the spectrum. It's really scary how it's beginning to impact so many families.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    We think, besides my son, my niece might be Aspergers too. My sister has never had her diagnosed but she is super smart and stims like my son.
  • Jaine86
    Jaine86 Posts: 36
    Options
    My brother has slight autism and my son is on the asd. NOONE else on either side has it...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My middle child is an aspy.
    Back in the day, the old folks used to call it "Eccentric."