Dealing with lovingly inconsiderate people:

Options
keerwi3j
keerwi3j Posts: 7 Member
Here's the situation, your loving significant other (who may not be watching what they eat/watching as closely) wants to bring home a treat.

Situation #2: Well-meaning relatives buy/give/offer you candy or sweets for holidays or any special occassion, really.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle these situations in the most polite and positive way.

Thoughts?

Replies

• laurenmgrasso
    Options
    Treats are okay in portion. Otherwise, just express how you want to lose weight (or whatever your goal may be) and tell them they can bring home a treat for themselves, but you may not eat it. Not just because you dont appreciate what they did but because you want to stick to your goal.

I told my mom this year to forget the candy, give me ten bucks instead so I can purchase healthier alternatives. If you feel uncomfortable telling them this, just give the bag of candy to someone else, or bring it into work and put in the candy dish. They won't even know if you throw it away!
  • las148
    las148 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got a HUUUUGE container of homemade thumbprint cookies for Christmas. I ate 3 and then put them outside in the shed on my balcony. I haven't had any since Christmas time now even though I love them, but I know if they were in a convenient place, they'd definitely be all gone and I would hate myself for my lack of will power! It's nice knowing that they're there in case I have a nasty craving for a cookie, though haha
  • AmeliaIrene
    Options
    I'm the worst with willpower, but this could be a great opportunity to practice portion control. If your sweetie brings home something sweet make a point to fill up on salad during dinner and allow yourself a couple bites to finish off the evening. Then when you say "I'm too stuffed to have more" the other person will understand, and you'll be wise to the fact that you're full of salad.

I actually need to have a small cache of sweets in the house. When I eat dinner if I don't have something sweet after I tend to keep eating, even if I'm not hungry. Something about the sweet tells my brain that food time is over. I try to keep one pack of Lindt chocolate on hand and allow myself one square after dinner. Maybe you could portion out 7 candies, when your family gives them to you, and hide the rest. Then you could have one/day as your end of day meal-end cue.

Just a couple suggestions - I hope it helps!
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My grandma is the worst about this. Every time I see her, she has made me a batch of cookies or a cake or something. I always just eat one and then take them to work with me. That gets rid of them quick!

I also do the chocolate square thing. I find that one square of dark chocolate after dinner satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have a treat once in a while, but if you feel it will really affect you, just politely say no thank you. Unless there's more to it then you're saying, that should be enough
  • jillianlamb
    jillianlamb Posts: 29
    Options
    Ah yes, I can sympathize to your situation number one. When I have a bad week for whatever reason, my boyfriend likes to buy me mint chocolate (because it is the best thing ever). But he'll literally get me five bars. Five. No exaggeration. Even if I wasn't watching what I eat, I can't eat that much chocolate.
    Because I'm not living by myself, I put it in a large candy jar we have and offer it up to whoever wants it.
    If you want them to stop, maybe instead of saying "I don't want this", say "I'd rather have this". I find pointing people in a certain direction is far better than just saying no, and they're more apt to listen.
    All the best!