Aspiring Vegan

Options
Hi I have been vegetarian for about 5 years now, I was vegan for about 6 months but I didn't eat right and I got sick. However I am moving to a new College away from everything and family, so I think its a new start. Do you guys have any suggestions to try vegan-ism to be new healthy lifestyle? Tips?

Thank you :)

Aaron

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    get as many books on vegan nutrition as you can : library, amazon, soak it up and figure out the science behind what works and what does not

stay very PLANT based; while many chips, crackers, and other processed items are vegan, they won't fill u up or give you nutrients like fruits, vegetables, beans, or seeds will

take a b-12 supplement

eat more often (six mini meals a day kinda thing)

been vegan 3 years, it has brought me the best health of my life (tho i am vegan for ethics rather than health)

friend request me; hit me up with any questions u may have! best of luck to u!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For me in this transition has been making sure I read labels and look for hidden dairy and animal products. All in all, while not perfect, it has been smooth for the most part here.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're getting some pretty good advice here, which I appreciate, too! I have been trying to be vegan for a few months now. I really like eating vegan but find it difficult when I go out to eat (live in "Beef Country"). So I allow myself to be vegetarian when I eat out and have the occasional fish (the only thing I really miss.) When I cook for myself, which is most of the time, I love to try new recipes. There are so many on the internet. I also bought a good cookbook with nutritional information. As someone advised before, I also take a B12 supplement. I also take a magnesium supplement three times a day, too (keeps ya regular).
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do you like to cook and will you be set up with a kitchen to do so in your new place? There are many great vegan cookbooks & websites with recipes. There are even some that focus on quick & easy meals & cooking in a crockpot too. You may also want to check out if your new college or town have a veggie group.
  • tryingvegan
    tryingvegan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Check out John A. McDougal's website. It seems like men are doing better at loser weight on the McDougal diet because he is starch based.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    more great websites/blogs...engine 2 diet, choosingraw, thrive forward
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My advice is to talk to other vegans (look you are already doing that!), and always be prepared. I love using www.happycow.com to find restaurants that are vegan/vegan friendly when I am travelling or going out to eat with other people. It's important not to put yourself in a situation where you are deprived! Also, carrying protein bars is a good idea if you're in a pinch. I just discovered Odwalla Super Protein bars. They have 14g of protein! Best wishes!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This!
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'M VEGAN! I eat mostly local, organic, and gluten-free too!

A few years ago, I dove right in and never looked back! Fill up on fresh fruits and veggies (I don't mind non-gmo mock meats at times), read labels, drink plenty of water, and don't undereat (especially if you are working out). I LOVE to eat out at different ethnic restaurants because there are usually plenty of vegan options - yesterday, I ate Himalayan and Nepalese food that was UNREAL so definitely mix it up and branch out! For home cooking, Vegan with a Vengeance has been my go-to cookbook for years!

feel free to add me and check out my recipe blog at teenyteacakes.tumblr.com