Finally admitting I have a problem (Introducing myself)

Options
I have been stalking the boards (this one and others) and figured it was time to bite the bullet and join one to have an outlet as well as some others how are trying to recover. So let me introduce myself

As of about a year and a an few months I was able (after being overweight) to drop 60 + lbs (2 something to 140 lbs) , by ways of running a marathon (back in November). I didn't restrict what I ate, and felt pretty decent. I don't know what happened but near the end of the training but somehow the scale became the goal. I changed my eating habits and restricted what I ate, some foods are off limits (no breads, little dairy, even beer (lol). At some point something clicked in my head and I started spitting (which I haven't admitted to anyone before) and binging in the evenings (on broccoli of all things). My wife ( I'm a guy which has made this harder for me to admit to my self) as well as family has voiced their concerns in that I started to not look healthy and that I looked gaunt. I took it as that they just still werent used to seeing be me thin.

It wasn't until just a weekend ago when people I don't really know started to say things to me (among a few other things (eating 2 +lbs of broccoli at night, eating enough icebreakers to cause a laxative effect). I realize something def isnt right

I have a meeting with a nutritionist/dietitian next week to formulate a meal plan to get back to a healthy weight, and avoiding massive weight gain, especially since I fear getting as big as I was).

Anyways, enough rambling - thanks for listening/reading.

Replies

• guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Admitting it is half the battle? Welcome aboard and formulate a plan with the doctor and dietitian/nutritionist and go from there? Just make sure you refuel after working out. And don't be afraid of the scale, actually toss the damn thing out. (that is what I had to do and only weigh at the doctors)

I initially gained about 5 pounds after restricting horribly for months, but since I have been eating 'normally' and over my BMR the weight has gone away. (it did take a few months too)

I am stronger and healthier than when I started this round...and there are lots of men who struggle also with food restriction, and sticking to only foods that are 'safe' to us.

Welcome aboard and good luck...(and the dr/Nutitionists expect us to not be perfect, so if you have a few bad days, remember to stick on the path to recovery) :smokin:

and no one should ever give up yummy beer!
  • yrollam1013
    yrollam1013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Admitting something is wrong is sometimes the hardest step to make. The first time I tried to get better, I tried to do it on my own, and just intensified and changed my symptoms for mainly restricting to purging everything. I would high suggest working with a therapist and dietician on the issue as a dietician can only help you change behaviors and a therapist can help you resolve the issues that cause the behaviors. I think eating disorders are common in runners, as I watched a documentary on eating disorders in athletes in distance type races, when in residential, I think it may have been called Beauty Mark but I'm not certain it is the right one. The things that helped me the most in recovery last time was, not logging what I ate, and not weighing, it really helps cut down on the obsessive thinking about numbers, and even qualms some of the anxiety. I wish you well in your recovery.