gluten free Milk, cheese etc

Options
tvl0308
tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
ok, i know this is gonna be a dumb question but i have to ask this, is there gluten in milk and cheese? I guess i really haven't thought about it but I was thinking no, but is there? I love cheese and i use Sargento cheese and milk i use Meadow Gold 1%. I have tried to look them up and I believe the cheese is ok but can't find nothing on the milk. Can someone shed some light here for me?

Thank you

Replies

• mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No. There is not gluten in milk products. You have to double check shredded cheese but I have yet to find a shredded cheese that had gluten in it. From what I understand, they used to use flour to keep it from sticking but now they usually use silicone dioxide or something like that.
  • denny712
    denny712 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There can be. Blue cheese is highly frowned upon because it most often has gluten in the cultures it's made from. Additionally, do not use any pre-packaged shredded cheese. The bags are usually lined with flour to keep the cheese from sticking to the bag. Buy your cheese by the block and shred it yourself at home.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Always read the ingredient labels when you're buying food.

Here's a link on some blue cheeses, tested with ELISA, a very sensitive test for gluten. The good news is that all of the tested varieties had no detectable amount of gluten.
    http://www.celiac.ca/index.php/about-celiac-disease/celiac-news-articles/blue-cheese/

Many food manufacturers have specific gluten information on their web sites, so if you're wondering about a specific brand, try looking it up.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    I eat cheddars and haven't had any reaction at all,but I haven't eaten any soft cheeses much since as most have wheat in them apart from the Dairylea spreadable in the tub but that tastes like plastic to me.