I started today :)

Options
I started today, had a trainer at the gym help set me up in the free weight section, since it is a little intimidating.
I'm pretty psyched to start it and I'm envious of all the other lifters in there lol
I didn't do he warm up sets but I will next time, I missed that part :/

So this is where I am starting at:

Squat 85lbs 5x5
Bench Press 55lbs 5x5
Barbell row 45lbs 5x5

The trainer showed me to do the overhead press ( she called them military), with the preloaded barbells and wants me to start real low at 25lbs.. should I up it to the 45lb Olympic bar to start instead?

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Start with whatever weight you are comfortable with. If you are new to lifting, I would actually recommend you start your squat a little lower because with 5lb progressions you move up super quick....15lbs/week. With that being said though, if your trainer has assessed you and recommended you start there then go with what you are comfortable with :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I started today, had a trainer at the gym help set me up in the free weight section, since it is a little intimidating.
    I'm pretty psyched to start it and I'm envious of all the other lifters in there lol
    I didn't do he warm up sets but I will next time, I missed that part :/

So this is where I am starting at:

Squat 85lbs 5x5
    Bench Press 55lbs 5x5
    Barbell row 45lbs 5x5

The trainer showed me to do the overhead press ( she called them military), with the preloaded barbells and wants me to start real low at 25lbs.. should I up it to the 45lb Olympic bar to start instead?

Military press is another word for it, and I think starting with 25lbs is fine. Most people don't have the option, is all, but since a lot of women stall out around 50-60 lbs it would be good to start iwth 25 and work up
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting!
  • GoTimeBaby
    GoTimeBaby Posts: 27
    Options
    Thnx for the replies ladies. So, just to verify, do I go up 5 lbs for squats every workout? Or once a week?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Thnx for the replies ladies. So, just to verify, do I go up 5 lbs for squats every workout? Or once a week?

Prescribed increase is 5lbs per workout, so 15lbs per week :) That's actually how it is on all lifts, except deads are 10lbs per workout. Progress at weight increments that feel good to you though. Most of us start out with just the bar (or less) on all lifts and do the 5lb increases until it becomes too much, then we switch to 1 lb or 2lb increases.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I will be starting this week too with a trainer. I did want to see what an empty bar felt like and if I could even lift it, it was definitely heavier than I thought! I doubt I will be able to get through these sets
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Just start it slow. Enjoy the feeling of the movement. The weight will get heavy. Let your body learn the form. Welcome to a new way of life.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    85lb squat is impressive! Wow! I'm just now getting to 25lb squats. Welcome to lifting!