Glutes are big enough

Options
dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
I am doing the 5x5 and I don't want my glutes to get any bigger. And since I have been going heavier on squats (up to 95lbs), will increasing the weight make my glutes (butt) bigger? I just want to firm a little more and I do need to lose 10-20 lbs. So any advice I can get I will take. The reason for asking this is because I've gotten a few comments from relatives about "junk in trunk". I've always had this and I don't want it to get any bigger. If going heavier will increase the size, I must stop.

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, my bum is higher but the measurement around the hip and butt region has gone down. I am in smaller clothes now. I still squat over 100 kg. (220 lbs) If you are lifting to keep lean mass and lose fat, the measurements will go down not up, unless you want to pack on some more mass by eating more?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My experience has been the same as what Nexangelus is talking about--as I've lifted heavier and heavier, my butt has got tighter and smaller. The shape improves, but it doesn't get bigger. I eat at a caloric deficit, so it's not likely that any part of me is going to get bigger, no matter how much I lift. I'd need to eat a whole lot more in order to gain size.

I think you should not worry about it and keep lifting.:drinker:
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Thank you guys for your response. I think I had been eating more because I was lifting more but I don't want anymore junk in my trunk. I have enough. I will eat at a deficit and see how my energy is.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You may find that once you start losing fat in that area, you might wish you had a bit more muscle! I always had a big butt until I lost that last 15 pounds and my *kitten* is super lame now. It would be great if when those last few pounds melted off you had a strong round booty underneath!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I only noticed an increase when I wasn't watching what I ate and increased my BF% by like 2-4%. So that is what added extra junk in my trunk. Squating and DL has helped me lose half an inch off my back end this month. The most likely thing you will see even with increased muscle mass is a better shaped, slimmer profile.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Are your measurements such as hip circumference changing?

If you're eating at a deficit, you don't have much to worry about. You'll lose subcutaneous and intramuscular fat, and your butt will get firmer but not larger.

Although there was that fun thread (might have gotten locked) about how treadmill running makes your butt flat. Pretty sure it doesn't work, but worth a try :)
  • dafoots0911
    Options

If you're eating at a deficit, you don't have much to worry about. You'll lose subcutaneous and intramuscular fat, and your butt will get firmer but not larger.

Although there was that fun thread (might have gotten locked) about how treadmill running makes your butt flat. Pretty sure it doesn't work, but worth a try :)
    That's funny. I'm not a treadmill person but I was eating more but decided this week to eat at a deficit for a while and see what happens. Thanks all for your responses. I will keep progress reports coming.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You may find that once you start losing fat in that area, you might wish you had a bit more muscle! I always had a big butt until I lost that last 15 pounds and my *kitten* is super lame now. It would be great if when those last few pounds melted off you had a strong round booty underneath!

same here. my butt is so flat right now, I hope it will get bigger with all the bulking (eating on the surplus)
    If you are aiming to lose weight you are eating below TDEE, so now, you will not add muscle (not a significant amount) your but may get up to 1 inch bigger TEMPORALY due to water retention the day or 2 after lifting, but the water will go away immedietly after you stop exercising.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    @ Kavanavghev Wook at da wittle baby in your pic. Soooo cute.

To get back at your response, genetically mine is there no matter what. I just didn't want it to increase with heavier weights. I have been eating the wrong foods so I don't think that has helped much. But will post when some of those pounds come off whether or not my *kitten* drags the floor or not.
  • dafoots0911
    Options

I'll check the hiip circumference in a week. .