Follow Up Ultrasound after a small bleed...help

Options
cdbarger
cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
At my first ultrasound (5/14) I had a very small amount of bleeding from the placenta. My doctor said it was a 1% bleed and it isn't a concern unless it is 30% or more. Today (5/28) I got a phone call from his nurse to schedule a follow-up ultrasound to make sure the bleeding has resolved itself. He didn't mention another u/s when we talked about it, and made it sound like no big deal. I haven't had any spotting or bleeding this entire pregnancy, but now I'm starting to worry.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? This is my fourth pregnancy. My first was stillborn, but my other two were textbook perfect! Anyway, I'd like some feedback and support from some fellow preggos!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Was it from the placenta or from the implantation site where the embryo attached and a clot formed (a subchorionic hematoma? I had a large clot with this pregnancy where the embryo attached and the clot did bleed out. There was the risk of it taking the baby with it if it came out wrong or all at once etc, but it was very small. The bleeding of course made me a nervous wreck as I had had 5 miscarriages before due to a blood clotting disorder. The blood thinners I take did eventually dissolve most of the clot and the rest bled out and by 13 weeks it was gone. If your doctor isn't too worried, try not to be either. Easier said than done, I know, especially after losing a child.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Sounds super scary but as you haven't had any more bleeding I'd assume things were ok. Double checking with an ultrasound is simply a good idea. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry too much. I had horrid bleeding earlier in this pregnancy (following a miscarriage in January). The first bleed wasn't bad, the second one....well, I was sure it was a miscarriage and paged my doctor to tell her. I went in the next day and all was good. It was a lot of blood though. I passed a clot that was at least the size of my palm. Over the next week or two I had a couple follow up ultrasounds and all was good. I'm thinking as long as there hasn't been additional bleeding, you should be okay.

How far along are you?

Best wishes.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I also had a small bleed from the placenta found during my early ultrasound (10-11 weeks). The doctor wasn't concerned because it was so small, but I took it easy just in case. I was instructed to call if I had bleeding or cramping (I didn't). They checked on it at my 17 week anatomy scan, and it had resolved. Our beautiful daughter is nursing right now! (((HUGS)))
  • cdbarger
    cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I'll be 12 weeks on Thursday. I think what made me most nervous was the fact that my doctor acted like it was not a big deal and would take care of itself. He never mentioned another ultrasound. And then I get this phone call out of the blue from the nurse to schedule a follow up. It threw me for a loop! But I'm trying to take it easy and not stress. If it was an emergency they wouldn't have scheduled my u/s for two weeks out.
  • mcwdvm
    mcwdvm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen during my first pregnancy. The doctor told me it was very common and normal. Delivered a healthy baby! Wish you the best!