Linzess Is it right for me?

Options
Well after over 20 years of almost being in control of my IBS-C due to the fact I was on Fluoxetine for PMDD, I am now fighting it again with a vengence. Or at least trying. I had to go off Fluoxetine because unknown to me it has long term side effects. Migraines and Restless leg syndrome are the ones I was experiencing. SO I tried increasing my fiber but I had always eaten a high fiber diet since I was diagnosed so increasing it more didn't help. I went to a new gastroenterologist and I explained I wanted to go drug free OR try to. He recommended Align. So I was so gung ho that YES this was it. It would work. Well my gut is fighting me back. I was on Align a month with no decrease in the bloating, cramps and gas every day. The doctor said he would recommend Linzess as the best next thing to try. SO hell I was in a lot of pain. What did I have to lose?
I started Linzess on Thurs 5/23 so it has almost been a week I have been on it.
As of today Wed 5/29 the pain and the bloating in my gut has subsided somewhat BUT WORSE I started with sinusitis and such an awful migraine that kept me up half of the night. I started with the migraine Monday night into Tuesday (worse pain ever Tuesday night into this morning) and this morning it is still there. It subsides with medication but of course taking the limit only leads to worsen migraines. This is what happened when I was on Fluoxetine for so long. I don't know if I should stick to another week since it states the body needs to adjust or just give up. Has anyone tried Linzess yet? Just wondering how it affected you?

Replies

• tanyab222
    tanyab222 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that the medication is causing the sinusitis? The reason I ask is because literally this past week with this crazy *kitten* weather I'm having here in the midwest, I've been getting daily headaches/migraines again too and serious pain in the sinuses. So maybe it might not be the meds? I'm not sure but like you said, stick it out for another week and if it is a side effect, maybe it will go away.
  • AnnaM63
    AnnaM63 Posts: 25
    Options
    Well I wrote this 2 days ago and just wanted to update this topic.

Well to answer my own question NO it isn't. I have been in so much pain that I decided not to wait another week. I called my doctor and after telling him my symptoms he took me off Lincess and rescheduled my colonoscopy for Friday instead of August so tomorrow I need to start the prep. Yuk :(
  • AnnaM63
    AnnaM63 Posts: 25
    Options
    And to answer your question tanyab222 you were probably right about the medication not affecting the symptoms of sinusitis and migraine but since I saw it as a possible side effect of the drug I just thought it was caused by that. Anyway since I was in so much pain in my abdomen my doctor wanted me to go off the drug and to do the colonoscopy asap.

I went for my colonoscopy today. They found a polyp and erythema {inflamed patches) & friability (easily bleeds) in the cecum. My intestines are also twisted which is why I get so constipated. He sent the polyp and piece of cecum for biopsy but he feels it is nothing to worry about. Basically I am to continue with the high fiber diet and take a laxative every day.

I know I answered you on another area. Just wanted to post in the forum.