What do you eat before training/longer runs?

Just wondering what most people eat before they run? I've heard you should load up on carbs before longer runs/race day (a few days in advance). Usually people recommend whole wheat pasta, but I'm not a big fan of pasta in general. Any suggestions? Thanks!

~Lauren

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    I usually eat a banana and a lara bar before heading out on a long run. Enough food for some energy but not so much to feel overly full. And it's easy on my digestive system, so I haven't had issues so far. There are conflicting opinions on carb loading. I myself don't really think it's necessary.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    It really depends on how much time you have before you go out. I generally run early, so I usually don't eat before a run of less than 9 miles (which is a totally arbitrary number and will be different for others). Longer than that, I might pop a Gu or half a banana and take water and maybe fuel with me. Here is a decent link about pre-race fueling: http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/The-5-Biggest-Pre-Race-Fueling-Mistakes-and-How-to-Avoid-Them.htm

If you really want to delve into the subject, I recommend Matt Fitzgerald's books ("Racing Weight" and "The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "the Wall")

Good luck!
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    I keep my normal diet throughout the week - nothing crazy different the night before because WHO KNOWS how it will sit in your stomach overnight

i agree that usually there is no time in the morning to eat but i make sure to eat my oatmeal with protein powder & cinnamon around 2 hours before the race - I stay away from fruits because all of that fiber and long running isn't a good combo for me personally haha after I will have a protein bar and whatever fruit is provided by the race people followed by an awesome brunch with mimosas to celebrate ;) haha probably not recommended for health reasons tho!

a lot of people like english muffins with bananas and peanut butter
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I eat a normal meal an hour or two before my run, but during I tend to bring some snacks with me, either energy gel bite type things or tortillas or gummy bears, M&Ms, etc. I found bananas and toast with peanut butter don't sit well for me, sadly.
  • miguelrunner
    miguelrunner Posts: 156 Member
    I wake up, have either oatmeal -or- egg whites. After an hour (or so), I head out for my run. I drink Cytomax right before my run and if it's hot, I'll take the bottle with me.

Today I bought a container of CarbonX (by VPX Sports) as it was on sale -and- because I'm almost out of Cytomax.

Oh, last but not least: I pop a BCAA 20 mins before my run.
  • lbelle987
    lbelle987 Posts: 97
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Plain bagel with peanut butter and bit of honey
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Coffee.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Usually a Gu with a few sips of coffee. But if it's 12 miles or shorter, nothing. I think it's actually more important the day before that you are hydrated and have enough carbs but there's no need to overdo the carbs. I think that I used to (and sometimes still do) overdo the calories/carbs the day before a race.
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    If you really want to delve into the subject, I recommend Matt Fitzgerald's books ("Racing Weight" and "The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "the Wall")

Good luck!

What gems you can find by reading through the message boards! Thanks for posting this!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    My longest run right now is 11 miles & I don't eat anything before. (That's only an hour & a half run). As they increase, I'll have twelve almonds & 20 snyder's mini pretzels. My fuel on a long run or race is raw honey. This is what works for me.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member

Good luck!

What gems you can find by reading through the message boards! Thanks for posting this!

You got it! FWIW, I have found the second book to be especially useful. :o)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Today's lesson learned: an italian sub is not the proper pre-race meal :P
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I often do not eat much of anything -- maybe a glass of milk. My wife usually just has her coffee, maybe a little toast, and, yesterday she went 15 miles. (She did take some Gu with her.)
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    I ran a half today and this was my breakfast (with a large cup of coffee)

gZ4BwGal.jpg

Banana and peanut butter toast (I try to keep the meal small as I don't want it bouncing around in my stomach) I try to get something with good carb fat and protein
  • lbelle987
    lbelle987 Posts: 97
    You guys are awesome, thanks! My longest distance so far is 7 miles, but I'm trying to plan ahead for longer training runs. I usually eat a banana with peanut butter, so I'll stick to that for now. My problem is that I run later in the day, so I'm often running on a full stomach. Thank you so much for all your suggestions! And I'll definitely grab that book!!
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    I tend eat a bowl of muesli with Greek yogurt and a spoonful, of honey a couple of hours before and then whilst running I have jelly babies :) works for me!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    I have 2 flax waffles. One with almond butter and honey, the second with a over-hard egg on top. And some coffee. This for a 2+ hour run.